Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I received a 13 300 ninja from a friend as collateral for a truck he got from me, he laid it down before I got it. Anyway went to trying to get the beauty marks out and disassembled the panels from the bike along with the tank. Once I was done sanding and painting a buddy helping out the gas tank back together and lost the only key to the bike. So I ordered a ignition switch package off eBay and when I plugged into the existing harness and turned the key all the lights came on as normal, and the engine cranked but won't start, and the mil light was blinking, what could possibly be wrong brands new ignition switch,?

·
Registered
55 Posts
If the bike is turning over then the ignition switch is not the problem.
Do you hear the fuel pump prime? Did you fill the tank with good gas from the last install?
If you confirm everything is good (which would require pulling the tank again) then move onto whether you have spark or not.

·
Super Moderator
2,525 Posts
So I received a 13 300 ninja from a friend as collateral for a truck he got from me, he laid it down before I got it. Anyway went to trying to get the beauty marks out and disassembled the panels from the bike along with the tank. Once I was done sanding and painting a buddy helping out the gas tank back together and lost the only key to the bike. So I ordered a ignition switch package off eBay and when I plugged into the existing harness and turned the key all the lights came on as normal, and the engine cranked but won't start, and the mil light was blinking, what could possibly be wrong brands new ignition switch,?
Beyond the ignition problem - how are you planning on getting into the all important fuel tank with the lock that's keyed the same as the ignition? You can get a new key cut from any Kawasaki dealer by giving them the 4 digit code that's engraved on the ignition barrel (if you look on the flat part of the barrel that faces the instrument cluster, you'll see the code etched on the bike - yep, it's that easy).

·
Registered
318 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I had fresh 93 in the tank, yes I heard it prime , no I'm not getting the spark sorry I didn't mention that at first, I sure wish I would of got on here sooner cause getting a key made would of been a much better way then what I took, but as far as the tank I ordered the ignition switch, which came with gas cap and helmet lock to replace as well as 2 keys. When I got it I tried to install the switch and holy crap that thing is a bugger to get off. Of course someone said try drilling it out, which destroyed the original switch, and the original key showed up about a week ago cause it works on helmet lock. What a bummer it's been. I ride it for a few weeks before I started work on it and thought it was fantastic and really smooth bike I would like to teach my wife to ride one day, I own a 97 cb750 that I ride, so I was really considering just keeping the bike. Let me know if the resistor thing is an issue please, and I thank y'all for taking the time to read this and try and help me out!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts