Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys a few months ago I posted a topic about my bike losing 5th and 6th gear. We determined that my clutch was starting to go. After more consideration I don't know if that is the case. Background, the bike rides perfect in 1-4 gears when I shift to 5 & 6 the bike revs and hardly accelerates. I have adjusted the clutch cable to the longest point to no avail. My bike has 3500 miles on it. I got oil changed before putting it up for winter last year. In march I got into a serious work place accident and only put 30 miles on my bike over summer in 4 rides. It has sat on stands for almost a year. My mechanic looked at it and said it was low on oil but never checked clutch. He added synthetic oil to it even though it had conventional oil in it already. The problem went away for a week and came back. Is it I need new oil change from sitting so much or a new clutch?

·
Registered
593 Posts
It still sounds like a clutch issue to me. It'ld be worth having a look at the chain tension and condition of the sprockets as well, however with 3,500 miles I'ld be surprised if they need replacing. Anything worse than that and you'll probably be paying a bike shop to fix it- hopefully won't be anything too difficult but very intimidating opening the clutch and gearbox if you haven't worked on bikes before

·
Registered
186 Posts
I cant imagine how this could be anything else besides the clutch. I have noticed on my bike when I am going ham on the freeway and I shift to the higher gears the clutch does slip for a second before gripping, but I assumed that's just how it is on these bikes. Now I am thinking twice about that...

·
Registered
417 Posts
I cant imagine how this could be anything else besides the clutch. I have noticed on my bike when I am going ham on the freeway and I shift to the higher gears the clutch does slip for a second before gripping, but I assumed that's just how it is on these bikes. Now I am thinking twice about that...
Doesn't happen on mine, you should take a look at it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was strange how it was perfectly fine when I put it up for the winter than the first ride of the season I have no 5 & 6.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It revs like I still have the clutch lever pulled in When it is fully released. 3000 miles seem to new for a clutch issue.

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Please expand on these well known shift problems.
The 300 has a tendency to slip out of gear, and installing a stiffer spring pretty much solves the problem, it certainly worked well for me.

Regarding this being a clutch issue, I would doubt it. A clutch works the same way no matter what gear the bike is in. It would be more likely to slip in gears 1 through 4, than it would be in 5 and 6 due to the great mechanical advantage offered in the lower gears.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Actually a clutch usually begins to slip in a higher gear rather than a lower gear.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope it is not the transmission. This would happen as soon as the warrenty ended

·
Registered
290 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found out today I had a friend of mine store it in his garage over the summer because he has a pole barn full of bikes. He told me today that he was messing with my cable adjustments because he didn't like were I have it. He only rides Harleys and I am thinking he tightened more than I have. I am going to work on it tomorrow and see if that is what is wrong.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I found out today I had a friend of mine store it in his garage over the summer because he has a pole barn full of bikes. He told me today that he was messing with my cable adjustments because he didn't like were I have it. He only rides Harleys and I am thinking he tightened more than I have. I am going to work on it tomorrow and see if that is what is wrong.
Please keep us updated

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
If he set it really tight then he may have taken some life off of your clutch. Having it really tight rides the clutch and causes friction between the clutch plates when you're in gear.

The clutch lever should have a little bit of wiggle. You should be able to pull it an eighth of an inch or so before the cable goes under tension and starts pulling the clutch plates.

·
Registered
593 Posts

What an asshole! He doesn't need to like how anything feels, I would be pissed if anyone adjusted anything on my bike without permission (i.e. Brakes, clutch, rearsets, clipons, suspension). Atleast you almost certainly know what it is now (and that matches the problem you're having), I'ld have a word to him so it doesn't happen again

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My only confusion is how come it only effects 5 and 6 and not 1- 4?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts