Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going 95 in the fast lane last month when my engine started losing power. All lights stayed on, but power just started going away and I had to pull out on the fast lane median. Installed a brand new battery in it, solenoid clicks, does not turn whatsoever. Got it towed to the dealership, was told the starter is fried and they'd need to order and install a new one before they can even fully troubleshoot the engine, and it would be over $500. A buddy of mine knows bikes and engines really well and offered to rebuild the engine for/with me at his place, so I'm going to get it towed there and we're going to make a project out of it. He told me to start looking around for a big bore kit or some kind of engine performance kit that includes pistons, cylinders and/or crank, look for a crashed one or an engine for sale. I'll throw the money at it for parts to rebuild it ourselves, because I know jack shit about engines and I figure this will be the best way for me to gain some valuable knowledge in this area

·
Registered
512 Posts
Are you sure the engine is toasted and it's not just the electrical problem? Does the engine spin with the starter motor?
A take off stator on eBay will cost you about $100
It looks like it's common for 2013's to burn the stator early. Mine did some months ago at 14k miles,

·
Registered
471 Posts
Did it have oil in it when it quit? If so, it would be odd for the engine to seize or lock-up.

Remove the round plug on the left engine sidecover (stator) and spin the engine over by hand with a socket/ratchet, or put it in a high gear and see if you can push it while turning over the engine.

I wouldn't start taking things apart until you are absolutely certain the engine is locked up.

If it appears to be seized, drain the oil and look for bronze-colored flakes. If it ran out of oil and the rod bearings are toast you will see burnt bearing material in the oil.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts