Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
someone dumped an entire bag of sand or dry cement in the middle of the corner on my way home today and the only thing that saved me was I looked ahead through the corner, saw it, and changed my line
so a potential problem became a non issue

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: commitseppuku

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
expect the unexpected as a motorcycle rider, you might know the way home and know the roads like the back of your hand, but you never know when something will be on the road that isnt usually there

·
Registered
865 Posts
Glad you got out of that one scotch free! lol keep doing good my man!

·
Registered
28 Posts
On a previous bike, I was doing some 'spirited' riding on the highway, coming around a blind left, prob doing 85+MPH when all of a sudden I saw not only a hay bale, but a refrigerator laying sideways on the road, blocking almost the entire lane.

They had obviously fallen off the back of a pickup or something, but that sure woke me up! Luckily traffic was light (it was a Sunday afternoon), so I was able to get around it without incident.

Any time I pass that same stretch of road, I always think of that. :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I came around a curve last week and their where trees all over the road. I bout shit my pants. It was dark, 3am.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
one thing i must say i do like about the 300 is how good the stock headlights are compared to some other bikes i have ridden at night. The worst i think was my BMW K1200LTSE i upgrade it to a HID cos i had to strike a match to check if the headlight was working or not

·
Registered
205 Posts
Myself and another forum member took a different way home today..came around and corner and the road disappeared into a dirt/gravel track..lol. We both came out fine but it woke us both up.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
one thing i must say i do like about the 300 is how good the stock headlights are compared to some other bikes i have ridden at night. The worst i think was my BMW K1200LTSE i upgrade it to a HID cos i had to strike a match to check if the headlight was working or not
I agree, my gsxr's headlights suck compared to the 300. They did a great job with all the lighting on the 300.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Kawasaki in generally is known to have better stock lights than many of the other brands. All the Honda's my friend's have had were a bit on the weak side as well. But my friend's ZX-6 and ZX-14 have awesome stock lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A few months ago I was riding in some back hills and got hot by a tumble weed. It didn't hurt at all but it was a weird feeling hitting something that big and not feeling a thing. It basically exploded on me and the bike

·
Registered
28 Posts
Good to know.. I haven't gotten the 300 out at night yet, and I was wondering how the lights would be. I've read the backlight on the LCD is wicked-bright. We'll see :)

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Good to know.. I haven't gotten the 300 out at night yet, and I was wondering how the lights would be. I've read the backlight on the LCD is wicked-bright. We'll see :)

the stock lights are good i assure you.

the LCD some have said it is too bright, but man, who goes riding and spends their ride just looking at the instrument cluster????

i very rarely look at the instrument cluster when riding. about the only time i have a decent look at it is when im completely stopped.

others have said if you go to a shop that does car window tinting you might be able to get a small piece of their offcut to drop on it and reduce the brightness, but i have ridden this bike plenty of times at night & it doesn’t bother me at all

·
Registered
28 Posts
the stock lights are good i assure you.

the LCD some have said it is too bright, but man, who goes riding and spends their ride just looking at the instrument cluster????

i very rarely look at the instrument cluster when riding. about the only time i have a decent look at it is when im completely stopped.
Lol, once again, diff rider, totally opposite situation. I'm always looking at the instrument cluster. Seriously, I want more gauges :) Gear indicator, water temp, voltmeter, thermometer, etc. I'm always checking the mirrors too.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Lol, once again, diff rider, totally opposite situation. I'm always looking at the instrument cluster. Seriously, I want more gauges :) Gear indicator, water temp, voltmeter, thermometer, etc. I'm always checking the mirrors too.
farout with all that looking & worrying about gauges how do you find time to enjoy the ride?

water temp is nice infact almost mandatory i would have thought, gear indicator - mate you have a free of of those - its in yer head & goes on every bike for free - i know mine does , volt meters man thats such an un-needed device , thermometer is nice i had one on my vfr800 13 years ago and it was there stock from the show room floor - nice to have but not really needed

·
Registered
958 Posts
We have stuff on our interstates, especially big chunks of retreads. Worse yet, you could get hit with one if it is just coming off a truck. This is why I stay in the passing lane near the left shoulder when riding the interstate. Trucks aren't suppose to use that lane. Also you have the shoulder to go onto in an emergency plus you can see ahead several cars for brake lights to come on. I think it's the safest place to be even though you are speeding a bit. You also need to see through the curve to see how steep the turn is on secondary roads although a speed limit usually gives you a good indication. Then there are deer. A local Harley rider was badly hurt when a deer ran into him at night. Night riding adds an element of danger too. Gravel or sand on the road is definitely a problem. I see it almost every day.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I've had no problem with the brightness of the digital read-out at night. It's bright and clear. That's what I'd want for easy readability. Who wouldn't?

As for more instruments, I do find myself checking to see if I'm in the right gear. Sometimes my downshifts are a bit too quick and it doesn't drop down a gear. So I have to check the RPM:Speed ratio to make sure it's right for the gear I was supposed to be in. It would be kinda nice to have a simple gear indicator, but I probably wouldn't be saying that 2 months from now.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I thought the same about the gear indicator also. I do not need it now.

On another note, it would be really AWESOME if you could change the lighting colour of the guage cluster. If not the digital, at least the Tach!

·
Registered
28 Posts
farout with all that looking & worrying about gauges how do you find time to enjoy the ride?

water temp is nice infact almost mandatory i would have thought, gear indicator - mate you have a free of of those - its in yer head & goes on every bike for free - i know mine does , volt meters man thats such an un-needed device , thermometer is nice i had one on my vfr800 13 years ago and it was there stock from the show room floor - nice to have but not really needed
Oh believe me, I have plenty of time to enjoy the ride. :D

But information is power... The more information I have during the ride the better off in the grand scheme.

Water temp would be quite handy as you mention.

Yes, I don't need the gear indicator, but it would be nice to have. (Side point, my nephew's GSXR600 has it, and its a 'bone of contention' between us. I 'get him back' by having a gas gauge while he doesn't.) :)

I put an aftermarket gauge package on my 250 that had clock, voltmeter and thermometer, and during the off season, the voltmeter came in real handy. As did the thermometer during the rides. (The 300 thankfully does have a clock on it.)

I haven't even mentioned my GPS yet, cuz I still can't find a good mount for it yet. Thinking of going with a RAM mount on the handlebar mirror hole. I also film the entire ride on a mini HD camera, and we have intercoms so we can talk too. It's the 21st century man! :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts