Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Long rides

19K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  dkw12002 
#1 ·
There is already a thread for this but its not getting attention any more...

So I was wondering whats the longest trip you have taken?
How many miles?
How many hours straight riding?
What speeds?

Im planning a 6 hour trip about 400miles at am average 70mph.
Your thoughts?

#3 ·
About 8 years ago I took a backroads adventure... Went about 250 miles.. Average speed was right around 35mph.. Took right around 7 hours.. Only stopped twice, once for food and once for gas.. Didnt get that exhausted feeling because something was always happening, not boring at all :D

#4 ·
i take a 40 mile trip up to my groups pub every thursday. that's about the longest trip so far on this bike, got a few road trips planned for the year, down to dijon on the tt weekend (i'm in uk) and up to manchester in the autumn to some pub.
not all that exciting at the moment...

#10 ·
My longest day was a trip to the north Georgia mountains on my CBR250 last year, maybe 70 miles of highway riding (75mph +/-) each way and 130 miles of slower (30-55mph) but oh-so-much-more fun and twisty roads. About 7 hours on the bike in total. That trip had me develop a deep distaste for the 2X6 plank that masquerades as a seat on the CBR, I was still feeling the discomfort 2 days after...

I'm planning on my first foray back to the mountains tomorrow since I wrecked and broke my wrist there in July so I will have a chance to compare/contrast both the performance as well as the seat of the Ninja to that of the CBR, should be fun!

#14 ·
two weeks ago to daytona beach from tampa florida straight through. about 140 miles or so. 2 1/2 hours

#16 · (Edited)
longest trip i have done on a motorcycle was in 2002, rode my vfr800 around australia covered 17,922 kilometers in 9 weeks. some days covered over 1000 kilometers a day

kept to the speed limit in all states of australia except in the northen territory where it was open speed limit and once there travelled at speeds well over 200 kmph. had a blast.

having said that, in the last month i have done 2 weekend trips on my 300 and covered over 850 kilometers in 2 days and it did it standing on its head.
bewarned. you will get a sore bum from the vibration. get a gel pad to sit on. and if its hot stop at least every hour and drink water to keep hydrated or your going to be in trouble.
wear ear plugs if you have a noisy helmet, or your ears will be ringing for a day or two afterwards.
under the footpegs, cut up a small piece of car tyre tube the size of a stamp and put between the peg and kick plate, this helps minimise vibration thru pegs and stops your feet going numb.
if you dont have a touring screen, get one
to help minimise vibration theu the handle bars, use "grip puppies" they are gel grips to minimise vibration.
vibration on a motorcycle is a big deal. after a few hours, your hands go numb.when they go numb and you need to use your hands, your stuffed

#18 · (Edited)
I did about 4 hour ride last weekend. Around 100 miles. I took it out to the coast and road up the coast a while. Then took a canyon back into city and worked my way back home. Stopped for about 5 minutes for gas. Maybe another 5 minutes after the canyon, about an hour for some dinner and once to swap out the battery on my camera. Otherwise was mostly on the bike. No real cramps or problems except I'm still having issues keeping my weight off my wrists.

#21 ·
No real cramps or problems except I'm still having issues keeping my weight off my wrists.
handlebar risers to the rescue, they lift the stock handlebars by one inch, no need to change any brake lines or cables, it fits stock bikes.buy them for under $100

#19 ·
Oh..longest on any bike? 3,500 miles 5 days (on my 2007 RoadGlide). Went from florida to Illinois, to Kansas, to Tennesse, to North Carolina, then back down to Florida. Was our 25th anniversary, we are going to do a longer one for our 30th in three years, and we both will have our own rides this time. I might actually ride the 300... we plan on going from Florida to Illinois, to Wyoming, south to New Mexico and back east to Florida, planning on a two week trip. It will be about a 5,000 mile trip and we shall see Devils Rock, Yosemite, Yellowstone, Great Salt Lake, Grand Canyon, Roswell NM., 4 corners of states, New Orleans and back home.

#22 ·
No I was referring to longest trips on the 300 but that's ok, I like hearing the stories.
on the 300 i bought it new friday Janurary 25th, left townsville next day (Australia day) returned the next day, Sunday 27th with about 850 kilometers on the clock.
A gel pad for the seat is a must. I use a throttle rocker at the moment to save my right wrist on the highway. one day i plan to fit an electronic cruise control to it.
This weekend just gone left townsville sunday 17th returned Monday 18th again did over 850 kilometers in 2 days.
I have put up over 2000 kilometers on my ride in less then 4 weeks of owning it.
awesome small sized sports tourer this machine is.

#26 ·
I rode 250 miles today. Interesting story. I like to watercolor paint and occasionally look through Google images for some idea. A year or so ago I looked up Hill Country Texas and there was (and is) this beautiful fall scene of hills, water, colorful trees. I wondered where it was. Well today I found it. As soon as I rounded the corner..Twisted Sisters Farm Road 337 between Medina and Vanderpool, I saw this scene and immediately recognized it. Tonight when I got home I went straight to Google images, found the scene again, then went to Google maps and found it there as well.

By the way, you can find local twisty and scenic roads for motorcycles if you type something like "best motorcycle roads Texas" or whatever state you live in. 79 F for a high today. Perfect motorcycle riding weather. Anyway, here's the Google image. Thing is, there's a gorgeous ranch with long horns that is part of this. The water is the Medina River. https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=960&bih=479&q=Hill+country+texas&oq=Hill+country+texas&gs_l=img.12..0l2j0i24l8.2511.6221.0.10214.18.12.0.6.6.0.140.1364.2j10.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.6.img.v9CMXATbJv8#imgrc=j3W-blvEc7oYZM%3A%3BLY8uuvRlt-ZBtM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.smarttravelinfo.com%252Fwp-content%252Fuploads%252F2011%252F12%252FTexasHillCountry.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.smarttravelinfo.com%252Fday-trips-craft-brewery-tour-in-the-texas-hill-country%252F%3B800%3B600

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.