Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm planning on attending the moto gp at Phillip island this year. I'm wondering if anyone who has done any long distance riding on their 300 has any tips or advice for me. Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
I just got back from a 4 hour ride yesterday and found that if you want to keep your neck from hurting like crazy you need to sit up on the seat closest to the tank, keep your back straight and not slouched or in the race position, and keep your head up in a natural and comfortable way.

Even at 60mph or so the wind isn't anything to complain about sitting straight up. If you are passing cars at like 80mph+ you might wanna hit the race position tuck for a bit but just keep your neck in mind.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
523 Posts
Earplugs! Nathan is correct that the wind noise isn't that bad if you get your head up over the wind shear from the windshield, but it can get annoying after a while and it certainly isn't good for your hearing.

Other than that, just take a break whenever you feel yourself getting stiff or sore. I find that if I get off my bike and walk around for a few minutes every hour, I can go all day long.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I agree with the rest, wear earplugs and take breaks when needed. I would also carry some waters and snacks. You can pick up a tank and tail bag that will really come in handy.

Good luck with your trip. I wish I could go to Philip Island, but that is quite a ride from the States, LOL

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankyou all for you advice..I will talk with all the people im making the ride with and pass along your advice to them also. I appreciate the help. Im 26 years old and this is my first road trip LOL

·
Registered
865 Posts
A tank bag with a map slot is nice too so you know where your going. unless you know the trip by heart.

Pack light or tie down stuff on the rear instead of a backpack, that can get uncomfortable on long trips.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Im lucky that a couple of friends dont ride so they will be following in a support car. No need to carry any of our clothing or supplies.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good luck with your trip JayD having previously lived in Melbourne for 5yrs i was lucky enough to attend the last 2 GP's.... it really is something else!

Like above earplugs! Also i see on your route you're not passing along the Great Ocean road, if you have'nt already i'd recommend adding that to your trip the scenery and twisting roads would be an awesome part of your route.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Maybe invest in some soft handlebar grips? had foam like ones doing a trip from Brisbane to Sydney... best wrist pain cure ever.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
This is an old thread resurrected but my 2 cents may be useful. I did 800 miles last year and it was not pretty. A good 30 pounds on my back. Wind noise a constant distraction running 80-90mphs. Mind you, the ride up wasn't all that bad. The ride home was not pleasant. Ear plugs would have gone a long way to aiding and abetting the stupidity of doing such a long ride. I had to stop every hour without exception. The pain of carrying a heavy back pack took it's toll. I was beat to shit once I got home and will never do a long distance ride ever again on this bike.

Being physically able to do it is one thing. I can say that I did it. But this bike is not the tool of choice...not by a long shot.

It's a wonderful motorcycle and I will say that without reservation. But long distance? This is not the tool for doing it. I can point to my experience and simply say that I did it and "survived". Just having survived is not something you want to notch on your "experience" belt.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I think you have to plan accordingly. I just did a 900+ mile trip (450 per day) and the little 300 and I did just fine.

I took mostly back roads and only did the highway when I needed to and for the last 3 hours of my trip.

The only thing I had on my back was a camelbak filled with water. Staying hydrated and taking rest stops really minimizes fatigue. Other tips are, of course, the ear plugs, and an after market seat. I went with Terry Adcox, and at no point in time was my butt hurting.

10/10 would do a long distance trip again :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Rode from Dallas to Indy and Indy to Dallas same week... both times only stopped for fuel/rest breaks. 80 - 90 mph the whole way, still pulled off 60mpg... roughly $100 there and back versus taking my dually at $500 in diesel..

·
Registered
160 Posts
This is an old thread resurrected but my 2 cents may be useful. I did 800 miles last year and it was not pretty. A good 30 pounds on my back. Wind noise a constant distraction running 80-90mphs. Mind you, the ride up wasn't all that bad. The ride home was not pleasant. Ear plugs would have gone a long way to aiding and abetting the stupidity of doing such a long ride. I had to stop every hour without exception. The pain of carrying a heavy back pack took it's toll. I was beat to shit once I got home and will never do a long distance ride ever again on this bike.

Being physically able to do it is one thing. I can say that I did it. But this bike is not the tool of choice...not by a long shot.

It's a wonderful motorcycle and I will say that without reservation. But long distance? This is not the tool for doing it. I can point to my experience and simply say that I did it and "survived". Just having survived is not something you want to notch on your "experience" belt.
I agree on the backpack until I bought motorcycle specific backpack. I got a kreiga and I'm considering taking it hiking instead of my normal pack ; its that comfortable.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone fitted an auxiliary fuel tank to their Ninja 300?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I live in Sudbury Canada. I drove from here to Halifax, then to Boston, then home, for a distance of over 4000km. What made it a good ride was that I too breaks as needed. I never passed a rest spot. I have stock exhaust on mine and I didn't need ear plugs..

·
Registered
400 Posts
I live in Sudbury Canada. I drove from here to Halifax, then to Boston, then home, for a distance of over 4000km. What made it a good ride was that I too breaks as needed. I never passed a rest spot. I have stock exhaust on mine and I didn't need ear plugs..
Earplugs aren't just for the exhaust noise - the issue is the wind noise. At highway speeds it's significant.

I did two 12-hour days over a weekend, cruising around 80mph the entire time, and feel that earplugs really help to keep you more relaxed. My helmet is reasonably quiet, but adding the earplugs just takes it down to a nice comfortable level.

I don't wear them on short trips (my son does), and the wind noise doesn't seem like it's that big of a deal, but after hours and hours at speed it is.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts