Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok lets gain some performance by trimming the Bikes weight. Imagine how quick or fast our bikes would be if the factory curb weight was 325. how about the lightest slip on exhuast that sounds good and doesn' t lose much HP or Torque. How about a lightweight battery. would it be possible to shed about 50lbs?

·
Registered
865 Posts
mmm maybe 20? the exhaust only weighs maybe 15 itself, and another 5 for the battery. Lithium ion would be the lightest your gonna find.

If you have the money to toss at it lol go for it. If not, save up! ;D

Good luck bro

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be too costly and a fruitless venture since I already know the next bike I have in my future is on its way and should be here by Fall 2013. Its the KTM Duke 390 a MONSTER mid displacement Thumper. With 44 HP , plenty of susension and big tires, Brembo brakes . Weighing in at 326 lbs with a full tank. And Projected to cost about a $Grand more than our bikes. It will Terrorize SuperBikes in the twistys.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Just put a 110 pound girl who know's how to ride on it! :D

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Generally the lighter you go for a hard use part the shorter it's lifespan. Unfortunately, most of the heavy parts on the bike are also it's hardest usage parts. It's not a problem for race bike that sees it's engine, suspension, and transmission torn apart and rebuilt on a frequent basis, but it would get prohibitively expensive for us regular folk without sponsorship or being wealthy. CF really only generally does well against forces it's been specifically designed and laid against. It's really strong in one direction but due to the way it's fibers are laid out, is very weak in other directions of force. For wheels, more than 1 direction of force is being applied to the wheel due to the nature of a motorcycle. While you can make it strong against the acceleration and deceleration forces, it'll be weaker against lateral forces like those taken in a strong, higher G turn.

No. Your only real choice is to lighten up the engine, transmission and suspension. A higher grade adjustable suspension and cartridge type forks will shave quite a bit off the weight over stock.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
No. Your only real choice is to lighten up the engine, transmission and suspension. A higher grade adjustable suspension and cartridge type forks will shave quite a bit off the weight over stock.
it will also shave quite a sizeable chunk off your bank balance as well ;)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
it will also shave quite a sizeable chunk off your bank balance as well ;)
Which is kinda what makes the whole practice kinda silly. Unless you are rich and bored, pouring 5x the bike's worth just to lighten it up isn't a realistic goal. The 300s power plant while pretty nice for it's class on an already relatively light bike, isn't worth using as a base for a $20k+ total bike at the end just to shave 30-50 lbs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
It will cost about $1300 to get all the cf fairings available from ssr.that should shave off some weight but at a quarter of what you paid for the bike...plus cf exhaust.removing rear footpegs and maybe even getting a fender eliminator.refector delete.rear seat cowl.I can't think of any one thing that would significantly reduce weight.clip ons might be a fraction lighter.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
Can someone weigh a completely stock bike with a full tank of gas so we can get a realistic weight difference.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Aren't magnesium wheels like they use on some bikes a substantial weight savings? Probably a pretty penny too!!!
Not really. It's not as strong as steel and a bit more brittle. So magnesium wheels are usually made a little thicker than their steel counter-parts. So it'll be lighter yes, but not by much. Aircraft use magnesium wheels more for their heat properties and the small weight savings is a bonus.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If money isn't an option, just drop 30K on a Ducati 1199 Panigale R, instant 20 pound weight reduction over the Ninja 300, I'm pretty sure you'll notice the performance difference that 20 lbs makes ;)

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Carbon fiber wheels are the ticket. Unsprung weight and that you will feel. Of course, they cost as much as the bike but... :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Running lighter wheels to reduce weight is a good idea on a number of levels. I had some mag wheels on my 1224 ZRX and putting those wheels on that big bike really helped it turn, stop, and accelerate. If I find some lighter wheels for my 300 I will get them.

Attachments

·
Registered
458 Posts
I think nothing would liven up this bike's acceleration, especially in the lower gears, as much as a lighter crankshaft and flywheel alternator assembly. The crankshaft is not just part of the bike's weight, but a major part of the engine's rotary inertia.
One reason the acceleration of four cylinder sport bikes is so snappy is because inline fours need so little flywheel to run smoothly, and so come with very light crankshafts, and the alternator is usually gear driven and small in diameter to boot.

Heavy crankshaft = linear inertia plus rotary inertia, double whammy!

The downside is an engine that is not as beginner friendly and one that won't run smoothly in the higher gears at low cruising speeds.

Did you know that the crankshafts in some of the big V-twin cruisers weigh over fifty pounds? No wonder they are so slow revving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts