554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what LIFT STANDS folks are using :question:

Any suggestions as to manufacturers or models . :unsure:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I've gotten by with just a cheap Venom front and rear stand set.

For the little use that I also would have for them, I have looked at and am considering the Venom.

Have not looked at the Pit Bull's , but I most likely will.

Only would be using them for basic maintenance, cleaning , lubing , etc.

Forgot to mention. Any suggestions on Swing Arm Spools, or are they all about the same ?

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They are all the same. Pick a color and call it a day.[/QUOTE]

Well, its either Green or Black to go with the bikes colors. :wink2:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have a cheap Venom (I think) for the front stand. It's the kind that lifts at the axle bolts but it doesn't work very well if your bike has ABS. It was tricky to use correctly to remove and replace my front wheel for tire replacement. What I would really like is something like this...

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-detail.asp?item=front-rear-package-2&pid=43

Takes up more room that a traditional stand but has ability to lift both front and rear. A little pricey, though, but if you're looking at spending Pit Bull money it may be something to consider.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I should have said it lifts at the bottom of the front forks, not the axle bolts..

·
Registered
547 Posts
What I would really like is something like this...

https://abbastandsusa.com/product-detail.asp?item=front-rear-package-2&pid=43

Takes up more room that a traditional stand but has ability to lift both front and rear. A little pricey, though, but if you're looking at spending Pit Bull money it may be something to consider.

Interesting design.

However, this would be NOT for me at all. Looks way too fiddly to use and I would lose one or more of the components within one season, and end up throwing the whole thing away because of it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Harbor Freight had one for the back for under 100, but I built my own stand to suit my needs. I just lean the bike slightly to the left on the kickstand which lifts the bike and the back tire up , then I slide my lift under the center and then pull the bike back over and hook it to stabilizers that I have built from the top of a beam to hold the handlebars and it just sits there while I work on it. Kind of red neck but it works and does not scratch the bike or bend anything. I can pull the front tire and the back tire off depending on what type of work I'm doing and even at the same time in the bike will just float.

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
I use a PitBull and it works great. In fact I have two of them. I am not going to trust a cheap stand on my little Ninja. She has never been down and I would like to keep it that way.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I use a PitBull and it works great. In fact I have two of them. I am not going to trust a cheap stand on my little Ninja. She has never been down and I would like to keep it that way.
Yep they are basically “the best”, but they are expensive. Pick then up used and they are affordable. All of these are “universal” so if you change bikes, all you have to do is adjust the stand. :wink2:

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
+1 on the pit bulls or woodcrafts. The key is to get one that's all one welded piece (not including spool brackets). Cheaper ones that you have to put together get slightly bent and twisted out of alignment and overall weaker over time. I'm getting ready to throw mine out cuz im tired of kicking it back into alignment. Plus its embarrassing when you can't get your bike on the stand.

If you're only doing maintenance once/twice year, you can cheap out if you're careful with it. If you're tracking it or removed your kick stand, get something solid for regular use. I double mind up with a wheel chalk and I can hang off the side completely without it tipping over.

·
Registered
268 Posts
+1 on the pit bulls or woodcrafts. The key is to get one that's all one welded piece (not including spool brackets). Cheaper ones that you have to put together get slightly bent and twisted out of alignment and overall weaker over time. I'm getting ready to throw mine out cuz im tired of kicking it back into alignment. Plus its embarrassing when you can't get your bike on the stand.

If you're only doing maintenance once/twice year, you can cheap out if you're careful with it. If you're tracking it or removed your kick stand, get something solid for regular use. I double mind up with a wheel chalk and I can hang off the side completely without it tipping over.
I forgot about the bolt together ones. I had the T-Rex stands that bolted together and you are right, there was enough slop in the stand that it was hard to lift the bike. Then when lifted, it was wobbly. It worked, but that when I searched for used Pit Bulls. Night and day difference.

·
Registered
421 Posts
^^ Yes, but it also golden in price and quite bulky. My very cheap Cycle Gear rear stand worked flawless for years in three different bikes so far.

I can't say the same for the Front stand from CycleGear. It worked perfectly in a liter bike I used to have, but on the 300 I have to be very careful when I hook it into the forks. It slips off too easily.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Harbor Freight had one for the back for under 100, but I built my own stand to suit my needs. I just lean the bike slightly to the left on the kickstand which lifts the bike and the back tire up , then I slide my lift under the center and then pull the bike back over and hook it to stabilizers that I have built from the top of a beam to hold the handlebars and it just sits there while I work on it. Kind of red neck but it works and does not scratch the bike or bend anything. I can pull the front tire and the back tire off depending on what type of work I'm doing and even at the same time in the bike will just float.
I've tried 2 versions. The first was bolt together and had too much play in the connection which made it useless. I sold it and got a one-piece stand from Princess Auto (Canada's version of Harbor Freight). it is very easy to use and inexpensive. I only bought the rear because I don't really need a front stand.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/rear-motorcycle-wheel-stand/A-p8321440e

·
Registered
16 Posts
harborfreight has two for about $40ea. steel tubing with pads that lift the rear swingarms. No spools needed. Or one that uses spools.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts