Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Background: I purchased the bike with whatever existing mods, including what I was told is a full exhaust upgrade (not a slip on) Leo Vince.

I see a small leak (black colored matter) between what I think is called the "mid-pipe" and muffler. It builds up and I clean it periodically as shown in picture.

How do I seal the gap? I was told I can cut in a few places on this collar then clamp it down tight.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Mine leaks there too, i suspect thats what makes it pop on closed throttle overrun. I like the sound but probably dont add HP.

Maybe exhaust tape?

·
Registered
630 Posts
I'd have to look at my BROCK exhaust closer, but I believe they all connect like that in some way or another; i.e. "springs holding the pipes to a bolted flange", and/or "springs holding two sections of exhaust pipe" together.

I don't believe there is an issue with it being the way it is, even if there is a tiny leak, and I personally WOULD NOT recommend exhaust tape.

I did wonder in the past if one could use something like 'graphite impregnated fiberglass rope' used for wood and coal stoves to seal those pipe-to-pipe connections; such as this:

(This is not endorsement of that product for this application, but just a speculation whether it might work, or not.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes there is popping/backfire sound when I close the throttle which I'm not really that fond of.

That Brock exhaust looks a lot tighter than mine. I can't even see a gap.

But it sounds like I'm not missing anything like a clamp and this is the normal design so there nothing to see here?

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
The popping is caused by a difference in back pressure between how the ECU is flashed for the stock exhaust and your existing aftermarket exhaust. It's not going to cause any issues to your bike. If you decide it's something you don't want to happen, then you need to have your ECU reprogrammed. I do not recommend you mess with the ECU yourself unless you have experience doing so - take it to a professional.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts