Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i wired up my aftermarket blinkers. Everything works however the indicators on the dash blink verrrry sloooooowwww....almost to the point where it looks like they stay one...Does this mean I wired something wrong? I did switch out the relay as needed to a variable load 2 prong.

·
Registered
198 Posts
What relay did you use?

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Are you sure that the LED turn signals draw enough load to work the relay, variable load relays still have a minimum required load on them.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Wish manufacturers made it easier to switch to LEDs.. Its always such a battle.

Just makes it an additional production cost.. The average consumer could care less about LEDs.. I dont even understand why I am obsessed with the, haha.. :D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not too bad. Replacing the flash relay was fairly simple. I am kinda bothered by the fact that the indicators on the dash just stay on now though. I wonder if there is another relay that controls the dash lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
257 Posts
If there is, you can probably stick a resistor on the relay. That would be weird though. Full disclosure: I have no idea how bikes work and why you switched(?) the relay, but on most automobiles (like mine) you stick a resistor on with the LED and stick with the OEM relay to make it blink appropriately. Also you're otherwise you're relying on the internal resistance of the LEDs to govern the current. Since the internal resistance can change and isnt linear (OR DEFINED) it can change drastically changing the current and you're buying new LED's regularly.

I guess that's also unless your LED's also have integrated resistors (These top shelf deals?)

So long story short, still dunno how a motorcycle works but if there is some reason there's a second relay the internal resistance of the new relay (I cant find a datasheet on that one) may be super low and affecting it.

It's not too bad. Replacing the flash relay was fairly simple. I am kinda bothered by the fact that the indicators on the dash just stay on now though. I wonder if there is another relay that controls the dash lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just did the rear led's and changed the relay but the dash lights stay solid. Will have to take a look if there is another relay when i change the from lights.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Because they make us more visible!

And they look really cool :D
In the daytime there not that great, probably %75 as bright as the stock halos..
At night they look awesome though!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just wondering if anyone came up with a solution that allows the dash light signal indicators to blink correctly? I'm wondering if I should try another relay. Do we know if the relay controls both the blinkers and the dash signals?

·
Registered
554 Posts
You could try resistors to trick the system into thinking it's a regular bulb. What rating of resistor and where to mount is going to be tricky. Those things get faking hot!

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts