Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Planning on picking up my 300 ABS in the next 2 weeks, and it will be my first bike.

Since the bike is just going to be for fun, and not transportation or commuting (have a 2012 BMW 335xi M-Sport for that!), it will go unused for weeks at a time, or maybe even months.

I understand I should add fuel preservative to the tank, after topping it off, but how long is it okay to leave the bike like that?

I also plan to use a battery tender, but isn't it a pain to take the seat off to get to the battery?

To prevent flat spots on the tires, are there any stands that will raise both wheels off the ground?

Also, anything else I should anticipate?

Thanks in advance!

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
remove the battery from the bike if your going to put it on charge.hate to see it explode and catch fire.

to life the bike off the ground you will need race/paddock stands and a rears spool. the spool on any kwaka ninja is 10mm, these cheapies from ebay will work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10mm-Red...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256d0ac914

these are the ones i bought some time ago

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcyc...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7c117805

even lifting bike up with this for extended periods of time id no good as the suspension of constantly compressed. but for 3 months you could probably get away with the paddock stands to avoid flat spots on tyres.

definitely fill tank up.this prevents moisture build up in it, therefore prevents rust.
the 300 is efi not a carby so no need to worry too much. mind you theres not much chance of gummy build up for 3 months still. if it was any longer then yes i would be getting concerned, but 3 months, you can get away with it with out too much to worry about.

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
remove the battery from the bike if your going to put it on charge.hate to see it explode and catch fire.

to life the bike off the ground you will need race/paddock stands and a rears spool. the spool on any kwaka ninja is 10mm, these cheapies from ebay will work

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10mm-Red...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item256d0ac914

these are the ones i bought some time ago

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Motorcyc...orcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a7c117805

even lifting bike up with this for extended periods of time id no good as the suspension of constantly compressed. but for 3 months you could probably get away with the paddock stands to avoid flat spots on tyres.

definitely fill tank up.this prevents moisture build up in it, therefore prevents rust.
the 300 is efi not a carby so no need to worry too much. mind you theres not much chance of gummy build up for 3 months still. if it was any longer then yes i would be getting concerned, but 3 months, you can get away with it with out too much to worry about.
Thanks, that made me feel a lot better!

Good to see I don't have to spend a lot to get it on a stand, but how difficult is it to install those rear spools, and can they be left on after being installed (for normal riding)?

Also, good call on the battery.

· Premium Member
13,448 Posts
Thanks, that made me feel a lot better!

Good to see I don't have to spend a lot to get it on a stand, but how difficult is it to install those rear spools, and can they be left on after being installed (for normal riding)?

Also, good call on the battery.
rear spools are piece of cake. infact you dont even need them. just whack a 10mm bolt in and your in business for what you need.

havea look at your rear swing arm, theres already a bit of threaded pipe welded to it with a 10mm hole threaded in there for this purpose. vast majority of bikes with double sided swing arms have them, they just vary in size from manufacture to manufacturer.

yep feel free to leave the spools in place all the time, if your going to do it, on this occasion its ok to use blue loctite to hold them on. i doubt the very minor weight is going to make any difference to how fast your going to go or how fast you will accelerate:)

· Premium Member
346 Posts
Yes you leave them on all the time. Some swing arm spools are designed to also be sliders. They aren't very strong (it is just a 10mm threaded bolt), but I use them on all my bikes. As cruizin said, you just screw them in. Simplest thing you'll ever do.

Here's an example:

They're weightless, and their job is to be in that spot permanently.

With the battery, I remove mine and leave it on a tender.

· Registered
2,942 Posts
I swear my 250R has almost sat for almost 3 months. Took a little bit to start it up on Monday.. Been riding it to keep its blood flowing.. Just had it hooked up to a tender, thats all..

I just cant see flat spots happening in tires after 3 months..

· Registered
1,045 Posts
A lot of mechanical problems with bikes begin with the words, "I hadn't ridden the bike in quite a while when.....". At a minimum, when you do start up the bike, there will be no oil in the clutch, and shifting will be clunky. Really, I would find a nice day every couple of weeks and take it for a short spin.

· Registered
2,942 Posts
A lot of mechanical problems with bikes begin with the words, "I hadn't ridden the bike in quite a while when.....". At a minimum, when you do start up the bike, there will be no oil in the clutch, and shifting will be clunky. Really, I would find a nice day every couple of weeks and take it for a short spin.
I didnt even have that problem, it was smooth as silk :D

· Registered
1,581 Posts
i'm willing to bet that the opposite will occur; after getting somewhat proficient on the motorcycle, the car will be the item sitting in the garage...

· Premium Member
1,159 Posts
Biggest issue is today's fuel "spoils" really fast. Correct amount of Sta-Bil in, then fill it up. Run the bike for a few minutes to get the fuel into the lines and such, Shut it off.
Sta-Bil says it's good for 12 months of storage.

Battery Tender also has a chord with eyelets that you can attach to the battery posts and the end "dangles" for EZ access.... as pic'd in this post..

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/8-ninja-300-general-discussion/480-weird-cord.html

To echo what cbzel said, Today's tires shouldn't have issues with flat spotting as the ones of days past did.

May want to out something over the end of the exhaust can to keep potential critters and such out also.

· Banned
666 Posts
Hi all,

Planning on picking up my 300 ABS in the next 2 weeks, and it will be my first bike.

Since the bike is just going to be for fun, and not transportation or commuting (have a 2012 BMW 335xi M-Sport for that!), it will go unused for weeks at a time, or maybe even months.
First of all i really detest braggers
Secondly why buy the bike if you are gonna let it sit for weeks or months
Did you just post this so that you can brag about your car?
I really don't understand some people

WOW MAN THAT IS AWESOME YOU HAVE A BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BIG CAR
WOOHOO YOU!!!

Is that what you needed?

Have a good day

· Banned
666 Posts
I have a friend that lives in the countryside. He has to store his bike inside his house to stop mice from chewing up his seat for nesting materials in the winter

Woomba you are insane
Everyone knows that mice prefer BMW seats

Sheesh!

· Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
First of all i really detest braggers
Secondly why buy the bike if you are gonna let it sit for weeks or months
Did you just post this so that you can brag about your car?
I really don't understand some people

WOW MAN THAT IS AWESOME YOU HAVE A BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH BIG CAR
WOOHOO YOU!!!

Is that what you needed?

Have a good day
Calm down. I want the bike to be able to enjoy the thrill of the road, which is mostly non-existant at low speeds in a car.

I asked about storage, because I am a college student in the northeast (Boston), and as much as I want the bike up here, the awful roads (coupled with salt and snow) really aren't great for a bike.

Not to mention, it's expensive enough to ship a car a few times a year (like $800+ each way...), let alone having to ship a car and a bike!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.