Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 Ninja 300 (with ABS) and this morning I noticed that the backlight for the speedometer readout was flickering. I drive mostly in the daylight so it isn't an issue, but it will be annoying the odd time I use the bike at night.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there anything I need to be worried about if I replace the cluster unit?

I'm going to investigate this:
https://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/11-ninja-300-issues-troubleshooting/4511-cracked-instrument-panel-2.html#post1625922

·
Registered
251 Posts
If this is the same as the videos posted on FB then it's most likely either an issue with a cracked solder joint in the cluster or one of the LEDs in the cluster going bad. I doubt it's an issue with the power connection to the cluster because the digits would probably be flickering as well. Someone with a decent amount of electronics knowledge could open it up and likely fix it.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is a cracked solder connection, I can likely fix that over the winter. I'll need some time to troubleshoot the connections and I'd much rather be riding the bike.

Do I have to worry about the Odometer resetting to zero if I unplug power for an extended length of time?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Last night I rode the bike after dark. Originally, when I saw it happening in the daylight, I thought it was flickering on/off. But it is actually flickering in brightness. I like the dim output of the flicker and I wonder if there is a way I can keep it at that brightness. I will upload a video showing this in a bit.

Edit: Here is the video

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys,
Bit late but wondering how this went? My odo backlight has failed and trying to figure out what I can do?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I second this man above me, I am having this same issue. The rpms light up and all the indicator lights (turn signals, oil, battery lights) all work. The lcd has no light then randomly will flicker. Do I need a new tachometer? New bcm? I just replaced the whole harness hoping that would fix it but it didn’t. I’m looking for any and all insight! Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
I second this man above me, I am having this same issue. The rpms light up and all the indicator lights (turn signals, oil, battery lights) all work. The lcd has no light then randomly will flicker. Do I need a new tachometer? New bcm? I just replaced the whole harness hoping that would fix it but it didn’t. I’m looking for any and all insight! Thank you
It looks as though it's possible to desolder the led in the back but I've had no luck finding a replacement

·
Registered
2 Posts
So the 300 meter unit doesn't have any replaceable bulbs?!? My r/s turn sig indicator doesn't light...I've torn it down to the board, does this mean yer sposta replace the whole damn meter if a light goes bad??? Say it ain't so!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's what it looks like. No user replaceable bulbs in the cluster. 🤦‍♂️ Really not excited to fix this one

·
Registered
2 Posts
Working on bikes sure has changed since I was in the biz back in the day. I notice the bulb turns on for self-test, but doesn't when r. t sig is applied. ohmed turn signal wires from switch connector to dash connector, both were good but only l/s t sig works...gotta be the meter board...sigh. Might dive in to fixing the board this winter, before I spring for a new one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts