Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You beat me to it! Thanks for investigating, works been taking up all my time lately and my friend still has not returned my multimeter....
Yeah, I was being lazy and waiting for you to do all the work :p. The only issue now is as soon as you start to let go of the clutch the rpm's jump before you can get to the frictionzone, Was thinking of putting some resistors to try and let the lever have more play in it before the launch.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Yeah, I was being lazy and waiting for you to do all the work :p. The only issue now is as soon as you start to let go of the clutch the rpm's jump before you can get to the frictionzone, Was thinking of putting some resistors to try and let the lever have more play in it before the launch.
Perhaps the clutch switch could be modified to not disengage so quickly, looks like a slide switch at a glance.

Either that or adjust the clutch cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thought I'd add a little more to my last post as it's not very informative.

1) Electronic configuration, you'll need to see if your PCV is working properly and then enable launch control.

1.a) Connect your PCV to your computer and hit "get map" from your power commander software window. If your map comes up, you're good! If not, then update the firmware and re-install your map from the website or wherever you have one saved.

1.b) Open your PCV software again if necessary and select Power Commander Tools > configure > Feature Enables and Input Selections.

1.c) from this window look for "Launch Control", set to Switch Input 1 (or 2 if you have something installed on input 1) and select Configure.

1.d) From here, set the time delay for the limiter to arm, set your "Activate Switch Style to "Normally Open" and whatever RPM you're comfortable with (the limiter will actually go a little beyond what you set it at), then select OK > OK.

2) Now your "switch". Your switch will be the clutch switch, the only things necessary will be one single strand of wire and knowledge! 18g braided wire will do, it needs to be small enough to fit into the little holes on your PCV and strong enough not to break from a little bending, zip ties optional but nice.

NOTE: you can do this one of two ways, connect at the clutch lever or the wiring harness under the fuel tank. Under the fuel tank is better IMO.

2.a) Remove all fairings and tank from bike as necessary.

2.b) Locate the ground wire coming from your clutch lever. It is Black with a purple stripe. Cut it from the top of whichever plug you decide to use or remove the wire end from the harness and solder the new wire to the ground wires end cap and then replace in the harness (if you cut it, leave a couple inches extra hanging out of the harness so you can strip it and connect it to the new wire as well with a wire nut or clamp)

2.c) Connect your ground wire end to the new hookup wire you provided and rout it up to wherever you have your PCV located (preferably the same way your PCV wire is routed).

2.d) Strip about a 1/4" off the end of your hookup wire and loosen the closest screw to the PCV wire bundle (or the third screw if you have something installed in the first slot)

2.e) Insert your wire end into the hole corresponding to the screw you loosened and then tighten the screw. (you have to push through a rubber hole, you'll feel the wire slip in and then you'll feel the insulation hit the rubber hole. give it a good push ;) )

3) Test it out! turn the bike on, start it and rev the engine. The engine should rev normally. Then pull the clutch in and rev the bike, it should stop somewhere close to where you set it and act like you're red lining it.

3) if all is good button everything up and try it out on the road. Don't start too high, wouldn't want any accidents now.
If it doesn't work, then check your work.

Check that everything is working as you go along and if you have any questions please ask.

Disclaimer:
This is how it works on my bike, no guarantees it'll work on yours but I see no reason it shouldn't unless Kawa uses random wire colors
Also when I talked to the Power Commander people they told me to use the second hole instead of the first, needless to say, that doesn't work :rolleyes:
Trial and error is what got this working for me.

Sorry about my snarky first post.

!Edit:! When you cut your new wire into the middle of your clutches ground wire, connect everything back up or your clutch switch won't operate correctly for starting the bike in gear. hahah sorry about that.
Do i have to use a switch or something like that when installing launch control

·
Registered
2 Posts
Got everything set up like your diagram and the bike does the same stuff as it did before

Okay dont need a diod, run your pcv wire off the black wire, it will register 4volts untill you pull the clutch in all the way, then it drops to .63. Got mine working now.
Can you please explain me the process

21 - 24 of 24 Posts