Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is what my legs looked like after my first accident. I was wearing jeans, which did nothing at 140mph. I was a stupid kid then.

Road rash is incredibly painful. Right after the crash it is not that bad, even when the adrenaline wears off. At the ER when they wheel the cart into the room with different brushes and tweezers to get the debris out of your shredded flesh, it gets bad. Bite down on something.

The worst part is peeling off the NON STICK bandages every day to change them. I eventually ended up doing it in the shower because it is not as bad when the bandages are completely soaked. Every day you tear off some more flesh until the wounds have healed enough to leave them open all the time. For me it took nearly 3 months to heal completely.

After this I purchased riding jeans and armored rain pants for winter/wet riding. However, I only wear these when I am going riding, not commuting to work.

My second accident was at about 80mph and completely out of my control. I was on my way to work so I was wearing khaki dress pants. My legs got beat up and I have a YouTube video of it if you guys want to see that.

The jacket/gloves/helmet are mandatory but most people neglect their legs. Kevlar lined dress pants are an expensive option and I wear suits a lot...

Lesson finally learned, I bought Shift knee pads to wear under my pants. I take them off when I get to work. They are comfortable and if there is a third accident hopefully I will ride away with NO INJURIES this time.

I think everyone should invest in a set, got them for $15 from motorcycle-superstore.

What they look like under pants

· Registered
2,942 Posts
Are those "normal" size pants?? Like your typical boot cut?? They are not like an extra baggy pant are they??

I have never thought about knee pads before, but for $15 it would be worth it.

Other question is do you need to drop the pants to remove them, or can you just reach up the pant leg to remove them? I would be wearing them to work and our bathroom is a little out of the way to go there first thing every morning.

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are those "normal" size pants?? Like your typical boot cut?? They are not like an extra baggy pant are they??
Normal pants, actually these ones are Aeropostale and are slimmer than normal jeans. They fit fine.

I have never thought about knee pads before, but for $15 it would be worth it.
100%. My knees feel so naked without them because I know what it feels like to have them shredded. Twice.

Other question is do you need to drop the pants to remove them, or can you just reach up the pant leg to remove them? I would be wearing them to work and our bathroom is a little out of the way to go there first thing every morning.
The easiest way would be to drop your pants, but you can pull the velcro with the pants on then they slide right out the bottom. You will definitely need to drop them to put them on when you leave.

· Registered
1,139 Posts
You dont need much speed to get messed up by road rash. I was going 45 kph and got launched over the handlebars from my road BICYCLE. Was bleeding from head to ankle from 15 different wounds. Needless to say, I did a flip, and rolled a few times before coming to a stop. You can make a game out of finding scars on me :p.

So I've been doing a lot of research on what gear to wear while on the motorcycle. I was originally only planning on investing in Kevlar reinforced pants for my legs, but those look like a great idea!

· Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I never wanted to invest in riding pants. I already have helmet, jacket, and glove and am planning to get boots, but never did it cross my mind to get pants. I guess for now, those kneepads will have to do. Going to cop a pair soon.

· Registered
283 Posts
Wow, wicked marks on your legs. That doesn't look fun to take care of on a daily basis.

That's a smokin price on those knee guards, the Knox stuff we sell is more like $69.

Teknic has a few sets of jeans that are really comfortable. I wear their violator jeans when I work dealer shows/events for them without any issues at all. Built in KNOX knee guards that are adjustable for height.

Their new Xcelerator jeans are full kevlar and super soft denim. Obviously they've got the good knee guards in them as well. They feel like your favorite pair of jeans.

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the advice as always Mike. I will definitely look into Kevlar pants or these knee pads to go over my Arizona JCPenney jeans. ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
They are much more comfortable OVER your pants but the knee pad part will stick straight up. Awkward, but should still protect you the same in the event of a crash.

· Registered
231 Posts

· Registered
108 Posts
Knee pads are great, but for the sake of your legs, get leather moto pants. Riding pants have knee armor built in. Kevlar jeans are better than nothing, but kevlar was designed to stop penetration, not to protect against abrasion.

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Knee pads are great, but for the sake of your legs, get leather moto pants. Riding pants have knee armor built in. Kevlar jeans are better than nothing, but kevlar was designed to stop penetration, not to protect against abrasion.
I live in FL and it is about 99 degrees most the year.

Not wearing the same pants every day either, that's gross.

· Registered
132 Posts
Kevlar jeans are better than nothing, but kevlar was designed to stop penetration, not to protect against abrasion.
Kevlar padding = verses penetration, kevlar fiber/weaving = verses abrasion. I know from experience from wearing types of body armor from different events ( shot multiple times, one vbied, and a training exercise live grenade).

But I do agree that any degree if protection better than none. Just wear the correct protection for what you are doing. No need for a flak vest if you're just riding to the store for milk.

Sent from my MB886 using Motorcycle.com Free App

· Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kevlar padding = verses penetration, kevlar fiber/weaving = verses abrasion. I know from experience from wearing types of body armor from different events ( shot multiple times, one vbied, and a training exercise live grenade).

But I do agree that any degree if protection better than none. Just wear the correct protection for what you are doing. No need for a flak vest if you're just riding to the store for milk.

SAPI plates are a joke. Buddy hit with 3x7.62s and it didn't completely stop any of them.

· Registered
132 Posts
Only one of 2 that hit just the kevlar not the plate on me penetrated. That shot was under 100meters. The latter was a pop shot from over 300m. But all shrapnel didnt pen past 3mm. But maybe I was lucky enough.

· Registered
61 Posts
ive been looking into knee pads for about a month or two now, but decided to just get alpinestars leather track pants. this may still be a good 'casual' option though for riding to work and whatnot. thanks for the post.

edit: mike whats your height/weight? i think for $15 i really cant go wrong, but im a decent size (6'0 195lbs) and wear slimmer fitting jeans most of the time, so the comfort/tightness is a slight concern. thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.