Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth installing if you have a full system? $15 at SSR seems reasonable.

·
Banned
277 Posts
Useless if you don't have a cat, go for it. It'll save you a good amount of weight too!
What does a cat have anything to do with whether or not he should block off the Kleen Air system?

·
Registered
463 Posts
What does a cat have anything to do with whether or not he should block off the Kleen Air system?
actually it does matter, that what is the kleen air system is for...

·
Banned
277 Posts
actually it does matter, that what is the kleen air system is for...
The air is meant to help burn any residual fuel that has made it through the combustion process. If it's not operational then it won't affect the catalytic process.

Removing the system will impact emissions but if one is removing either the Kleen Air or the cat then they likely are not worried about emissions.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Useless if you don't have a cat, go for it. It'll save you a good amount of weight too!
lol weight lol
btw , you still need to have the thing plug even after removing it or it will throw a CEL

·
Registered
463 Posts
The air is meant to help burn any residual fuel that has made it through the combustion process. If it's not operational then it won't affect the catalytic process.

Removing the system will impact emissions but if one is removing either the Kleen Air or the cat then they likely are not worried about emissions.
well yeah, but if you running it too rich and there is no kleen air system to compensate, say byebye to the cat, not that it matters if you running stock

·
Banned
277 Posts
well yeah, but if you running it too rich and there is no kleen air system to compensate, say byebye to the cat, not that it matters if you running stock
There's no reason to say 'bye bye' to the cat, the amount of extra fuel is extremely minuscule. Please don't spread false information.

·
Registered
463 Posts
There's no reason to say 'bye bye' to the cat, the amount of extra fuel is extremely minuscule. Please don't spread false information.
is not actually false, even if it minuscule, it could still happened, not saying that it will happened but there is always a possibility

·
Banned
277 Posts
is not actually false, even if it minuscule, it could still happened, not saying that it will happened but there is always a possibility
The Kleen Air system does absolutely nothing to keep the cat from getting clogged. Again, stop providing false information.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I'm pretty sure all that black sut would plug the cat. The system does help more fuel to burn before reaching the cat.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
292 Posts
He's installing a full exhaust, why is everyone worried about a cat that will not exist?
It is in fact there to help the cat.
From wikipedia:
As emission control strategies grew more sophisticated and effective, the amount of unburned and partially burned fuel in the exhaust stream shrank, and particularly when the catalytic converter was introduced, the function of secondary air injection shifted. Rather than being a primary emission control device, the secondary air injection system was adapted to support the efficient function of the catalytic converter. The original air injection point became known as the upstream injection point. When the engine is cold, air injected at this point cleans up the extra-rich exhaust and raises the temperature of the exhaust so as to bring the catalytic converter to operating temperature quickly. Once the engine is warm, air is injected to the downstream location — the catalytic converter itself — to assist with catalysis of unburned hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secondary_air_injection

A quick query with the Google will solve most petty arguments.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol weight lol
btw , you still need to have the thing plug even after removing it or it will throw a CEL
Have you removed the Kleen air system? I've been reading about it on the 300, not finding too much solid information. What all has to be done?

·
Registered
463 Posts
Have you removed the Kleen air system? I've been reading about it on the 300, not finding too much solid information. What all has to be done?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?p=190944#post190944
yeah is another site but is the best source , my bad mods/admins
since the 250 and the 300 uses the same system, it talks info and a diy on how to remove it, if you go to post 21 , it talks about what to do to remove it on a ninja 300 ( non cali model)
i have remove it like they said and didnt have any problems or CEL codes, if i am not mistaken cbzdel did this too
any questions, just ask away...

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
the problem with wikipedia is anyone can change edit it & put what ever they want in it, and cos its on the interwebs it has to be true
This is why you can vet information from multiple-sources. Even Wikipedia is subject to peer-review. :D One thing about the web, it doesn't have to be true—but it doesn't have to be false. Critical-thinking helps separate truth-claims....on the web or otherwise. ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
This is why you can vet information from multiple-sources. Even Wikipedia is subject to peer-review. :D One thing about the web, it doesn't have to be true—but it doesn't have to be false. Critical-thinking helps separate truth-claims....on the web or otherwise. ;)
yeah , i am the president of the united states ;) :cool:

·
Registered
463 Posts
btw, if you end up buying the SSR plate to block it, you would need some washers because the stock screws are to long and doesnt create a good seal when you screw them all the way...

i don't know if you can see it well there but i put some nuts that i had around, i put them between the the plate and the screw to "guetto" shorten the screw itself.
it did the job well...

Reactions: Starkiller

·
Registered
490 Posts
So its just there for lower emissions and burns up fuel that got through the system and doesn't work with a full system because theres no cat?I'm I on the right track?

·
Registered
463 Posts
So its just there for lower emissions and burns up fuel that got through the system and doesn't work with a full system because theres no cat?I'm I on the right track?
yep, sounds right

Reactions: kenneth davidson
1 - 20 of 33 Posts