Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it bad to use the kill switch instead of the key? Whats the difference? :confused:

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
No difference except you will eventually leave the ignition on and kill the battery.

I see the right kill/run switch as an extra part I don't need or use. Mine will be deleted soon to be replaced by a single push button start off a KTM and a R6 throttle.

·
Registered
46 Posts
A mate of mine actually mentioned to avoid it as it keeps the fuel injection going. Killing it by ignition will cut everything off normally. Could be complete rubbish but I'm not prepared to risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
865 Posts
No difference, but I use the kill switch first. Just personal preference.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Total non issue, when you turn the key on it does the same thing. The FI doesn't pump fuel into the engine when it is on, just primes the system with pressure. That is the whirr you hear upon key on.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
No difference except you will eventually leave the ignition on and kill the battery.

I see the right kill/run switch as an extra part I don't need or use. Mine will be deleted soon to be replaced by a single push button start off a KTM and a R6 throttle.
Be sure to post pics :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Except when you have a mechanical failure on your throttle cable which causes your throttle to stay open. If you get in the habit of killing it with the kill switch, when something bad happens, it's a flick of the thumb to kill it instead of taking a hand off the handlebars to turn a key. It's a muscle memory thing. Nothing bad happens from using the kill switch, so why not get in the habit of using it in case of an emergency? /getsoffsoapbox

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it bad to use the power button on the computer instead of the shut down option?
Hah now you got me.
Im a complete computer geek xD

No it is not. When you click it,it has the same result. If you hold it however(force shutdown) it has no damage on the computer. However, windows will be unhapy as it didnt get a chance to run its shut down scripts :p

·
Registered
392 Posts
Depending on the situation of where you are stopped and needing to turn the bike off.

Example. I park on my driveway but its on a slope. I would prefer to keep both hands on my bike and both feet down to kill the bike. So technically i could hold the front brake and use my thumb on the kill switch and turn off the bike while the bike is in gear. I leave it in gear so the bike does not roll back while parked. Immediately after i always turn the key to kill the bike completely. This is 1 case i would use the kill switch over the ignition key.

If im on flat land and parked with both feet down, i use the ignition key to turn off the bike while clutched in, in first gear.

Other situation could be if the bike is down due to an accident and you just need to kill the bike quickly you could use the kill switch easily.

·
Registered
155 Posts
My preferred order:

1. Kickstand while in 1st gear (bike goes off)
2. Kill switch
3. Ignition

This habbit ensures that I have the kickstand down and that I'm in gear, both of which are nice to have to park the bike.

I'm not sure why I even bother with the kill switch at this point but it's just a habbit. I guess I feel like my bike is not fully utilized unless I'm pushing every button it has haha.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Is it bad to use the power button on the computer instead of the shut down option?
A quick press of the power button will initiate a proper shutdown automatically. Holding the power button, and forcing the computer to just turn off is another story.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I don't think it matters. I always take my key out when I'm not on the bike, so there's no way I'm going to accidentally leave the ignition on...so I do killswitch first.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 24 Posts