Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys sit on your 300 with the kickstand down with full weight on the bike? Does anyone know if this is ruining the kickstand, or if you know the max weight or what. I just feel like the bike is going to come crashing down but I see people doing it all the time. Is our ninja 300 kickstand capable of holding us up on it while we chat??

·
Registered
138 Posts
yes, it would be a poorly designed kickstand if it couldn't hold our full weight. these things are normally designed with safety/engineering factors which is an x amount of overengineered spec for worst case scenarios.

source: i'm an engineer

·
Registered
91 Posts
Whenever I sit on the bike I put the kickstand up, I don't want to run the risk of damaging it. Then again, I don't weigh that much so it probably wouldn't matter...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, it would be a poorly designed kickstand if it couldn't hold our full weight. these things are normally designed with safety/engineering factors which is an x amount of overengineered spec for worst case scenarios.

source: i'm an engineer
As long as I keep on top of maintenance with the bike, this safety/engineering factor should never "wear down" right? And have you payed attention to the kickstand spring? It's like barely hanging on there by the little ridged edge. That worries me... :eek:

*spring comes undone while riding* Left turn to god knows what...

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
As long as I keep on top of maintenance with the bike, this safety/engineering factor should never "wear down" right? And have you payed attention to the kickstand spring? It's like barely hanging on there by the little ridged edge. That worries me... :eek:

You can turn the bike on just the kick stand you setting on it don't mater. If the spring broke as you are riding it wont mater as the most will happen is it drags along bouncing as it hits bumps.

·
Registered
138 Posts

no nothing *should* wear down. and the spring is never overexerted because the kickstand has a positive stop when fully extended

·
Registered
958 Posts
One other thing about the kickstand: it doesn't really spring open the way it does on most bikes. Most bikes have a strong spring so when you move the stand down and about half the way forward, it springs all the way forward on it's own which can help keep you from accidently leaning the bike onto a kickstand that is not fully extended. I have to really watch myself with this bike. I always put the kickstand down before I dismount. I just don't put any weight on it. No need to. I do this out of habit from riding tall bikes where I was afraid I would catch my heel dismounting and have the bike fall on me. It's actually a very secure way to get off AND ON the bike.

·
Registered
215 Posts
You can turn the bike on just the kick stand you setting on it don't mater. If the spring broke as you are riding it wont mater as the most will happen is it drags along bouncing as it hits bumps.
Are you sure? Put the bike in first gear with the kickstand down and it will stall. Not sure what would happen if the kick stand came down while riding.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Are you sure? Put the bike in first gear with the kickstand down and it will stall. Not sure what would happen if the kick stand came down while riding.
It would stall.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
It stall but this.
Makes it sound like he is worry it send the bike flying.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Correct-o-mundo... I've heard some stories about kick stands ... :eek:
I have yet to see one make some one crash. Tell I do they are just that. now if you left it all the way down and the bike did not stall and you rode off I see some bad stuff going down.

·
Registered
958 Posts
They used to cause a lot of accidents before they built in the safety mechanism where the engine won't start with the kickstand down. YouTube has some.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I know many do sit on them, but given the bikes main ingredient seems to be recycled, rusty tuna cans, I'd avoid the practice. Cheap blends of steel abound and there will be a bent kicker mount that someone bitches about at some point.

The bike itself is a pig already, why add so much weight at that point of leverage? :cool:

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I know many do sit on them, but given the bikes main ingredient seems to be recycled, rusty tuna cans, I'd avoid the practice. Cheap blends of steel abound and there will be a bent kicker mount that someone bitches about at some point.

The bike itself is a pig already, why add so much weight at that point of leverage? :cool:
This bike is a pig? If this bike is a pig then my cruiser is a battleship. :D At the angle at which the kickstand holds the bike at, it would take a few times the weight of the bike before the kickstand or it's bracket would fail.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
the side stand i have no doubt has been over engineered to hell.

if you dont believe me. leave the side stand down and lean the bike over on the side stand and spin the bike on its axis

1 - 20 of 39 Posts