Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the key code is stamped/etched anywhere on the ninja 300? Need it to make a new key. (Lost only one, used bike no manual)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sorry, I don't mean to be an asshole on this, but I don't know you well enough to potentially aid in a felony. If someone else wants to help you out there.... I'll suggest going to your nearest dealer, they'll also get your blank key, after you show proof of ownership and ID.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's not a problem at all. It's just that I went to my dealer and they're adamant about the code not being on the bike and having the ignition barrel completely replaced. ??. It's nice to know its in the bike though. I'll just have to take my time to look more thoroughly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No the ignition barrel was not replaced. The dealer said my only options are to purchase a new one along with a new gas cap and seat lock with a new set of keys or find the code. I also asked if they could just look up my code via my vin # and they said they can't do that. This is the Kawasaki dealership in Metuchen, NJ. I also called Motorcycle Mall to see if they could help and they told me the same thing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And I picked up on the clue. I'll take it off later today after my classes and give it a more thorough look. Thank you for your help! And I don't know why the two dealerships I called couldn't help. Do they not keep a track of VIN #'s and Key codes? Thinking it looked like a way for a thief to steal a bike, I even told them I would bring in my title, bill of sale, and proof of insurance. They still couldn't help me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I bought my bike used and they didnt have that identification number.

What I did and was told to do was order a blank Kawasaki Key off of eBay and costs about $16. From there I went to a locksmith who had the ability to cut it and viola. Total cost for the key was $20 including key, shippng, and cutting.

And in response to Goobah I think this would be a realllllllllly lonnnnnnggggggg con to register here for the last 4 months, have multiple posts, and to commit a felony.

Anyways, do what I did if you are in North America because there are no "chip" keys here.

E

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you get your locksmith to cut the right pattern? Did you bring the barrel? I have absolutely no idea to take it off. I tried to look up YouTube videos but couldn't find anything.

·
Registered
373 Posts
When I purchased my bike from the dealership, they told me to go to a key smith and have a 3rd one made. Since there aren't any chips in the key this is easily done. I went to Home Depot and had one made for $4 dollars. Now I have 3 keys. I think I'm going to find a key that has a light on it and have another one made.

In your case, you have 2 options. Option #1: get the new key along with the ignition, gas cap, and undertail seat lock. Option #2: call kawasaki up yourself and see if they have a matching key number to your VIN.

In any case, when you get your new keys, head to a Home Depot, OSH Hardware, some key making spot and make yourself some extras to leave at home.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts