Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got my AGV Shadow Kevlar jeans, but they are really baggy and long like dragging the ground over my boots long. Are most riding specific jeans like this? Do you think they will be to hot for the fl summer? They are really thick 13.5 oz.

Or do you guys just use over pants like mesh or textile?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No armor, they have Kevlar inserts in the knee, butt, and sides of the legs. I wear knee pads underneath them with my tall bike boots.

Ill try riding with them tomorrow if its not raining and see if they work.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How does textile hold up in a crash? Is it strong like Kevlar or will it just tear away? Guess I'm just confused since I couldn't find much info about the mesh and textile overpants and what protection they provided, besides some have knee pads in them?

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
My textile over pants are armored, well vented and probably would last longer than kevlar jeans. Especially since most kevlar jeans don't have kevlar woven throughout the entire jeans and just panels. When you start sliding, that kevlar panel is going to separate from the denim and now you're sliding on your ass. Also kevlar gets pretty warm. It doesn't breath very well either. Again, if you just get the ones with kevlar panels, it may be more comfortable, but will probably banana peel on you when you crash. My textile over pants allow me to wear what I want underneath and just slip them off when I don't need em. If you go the textile route, make sure you get ballistic quality synthetics and not a cheaper pair of run of the mill nylon.

·
Registered
561 Posts
ummm leather... year around... summers are 80-100 where I live, and I want to keep living if I go down, so it's leather for me....

JMO... as I know the kevlar guys have their opinions too.... I'd rather sweat than bleed....

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
ummm leather... year around... summers are 80-100 where I live, and I want to keep living if I go down, so it's leather for me....

JMO... as I know the kevlar guys have their opinions too.... I'd rather sweat than bleed....
When I got my riding gear I was in Southern Arizona. Perf leather when it's over 110 is a heat injury waiting to happen. I could get away with a jacket because I had a cooling vest, but they don't make cooling boxers yet as far as I know.:D

·
Registered
561 Posts
When I got my riding gear I was in Southern Arizona. Perf leather when it's over 110 is a heat injury waiting to happen. I could get away with a jacket because I had a cooling vest, but they don't make cooling boxers yet as far as I know.:D

LOL... they dont... damn they make heated stuff why not cooling stuff... :D

seriously though last weekend was 80-85 i had on my perf leathers and was actually cold. riding 60+ mph and wind blowing through perfs worked very well..... :cool:

But like i said its just my opinion, and i've never worn kevlar before, well jeans anyway... have worn a kevlar vest many times but thats nothing like the jeans.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
LOL... they dont... damn they make heated stuff why not cooling stuff... :D

seriously though last weekend was 80-85 i had on my perf leathers and was actually cold. riding 60+ mph and wind blowing through perfs worked very well..... :cool:

But like i said its just my opinion, and i've never worn kevlar before, well jeans anyway... have worn a kevlar vest many times but thats nothing like the jeans.
My eagles vest with kevlar in it sucked. That thing was hot as hell and heavy with the ceramic plates in it. Guess it beats getting a new orifice though. Perf leather works well up to about 110 for me. I have a pretty high tolerance for temperature extremes too, but I can't wear leather at 110+ for longer than an hour. Now that I'm in SoCal I'll probably get perforated leather jacket and over pants. I just remember taking a tumble and slide down a 200' sloping drop and all the kevlar reinforced paneling on my eagles vest wore down to the denier and cordura layers. Kevlar just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. Works awesome for absorbing energy in an impact relative to it's weight and thickness, but doesn't really do abrasion very well.

·
Registered
561 Posts
My eagles vest with kevlar in it sucked. That thing was hot as hell and heavy with the ceramic plates in it. Guess it beats getting a new orifice though. Perf leather works well up to about 110 for me. I have a pretty high tolerance for temperature extremes too, but I can't wear leather at 110+ for longer than an hour. Now that I'm in SoCal I'll probably get perforated leather jacket and over pants. I just remember taking a tumble and slide down a 200' sloping drop and all the kevlar reinforced paneling on my eagles vest wore down to the denier and cordura layers. Kevlar just doesn't give me a warm fuzzy. Works awesome for absorbing energy in an impact relative to it's weight and thickness, but doesn't really do abrasion very well.

the vset i was refering to was a bullet proof vest.... lol...

what part of so. cal. are you in?

·
Registered
952 Posts
Im currently riding in jeans and have been considering riding pants for a while now. My problem is I cant find any that fit over my shoes. Any recommendations?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
For textile, I currently wear tour master venture air pants. The zippers on the side of both legs go all the way up to the thigh so you could probably get snow shoes through em if you need to. For leather tour master does the Decker which is almost exactly like the venture air but leather. Has the same zipper system up to the thigh. Cortech which is Tour Master's Sport line, makes Cortech Latigo perf leather pants. These are just some very small samplings of what's out there. You can easily go to your favorite site of choice and browse for what you like. Keep in mind that companies sizing lean towards where they are manufactured at. So A* and Dianese for example are a leaner Euro cut. Icon and Tour Master/Cortech will be an American cut, etc.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I rode in them today, even though they are really baggy they don't flap to much in the wind and the Kevlar knee area stays where it should be. They are thick and pretty warm. No ventilation at all, seemed to sweat some today but it was really humid and about 83 today.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
the vset i was refering to was a bullet proof vest.... lol...

what part of so. cal. are you in?
So am I. The Eagles Vest system uses level 1 kevlar inserts with steel plates in the chest, and back. But it also had kevlar panels on the outside of the vest in high wear areas with cordura and denier as the base layer of the best.

I live near Long Beach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts