Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't had much luck finding out much about the Z300 other than it is sold in Asia, Australia, Europe and South America.

It is good to know that a lot of the information from here will carry over since I just picked up the Z300.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I picked up the Z300 a week ago and still keeping it under the 6000 rpm limit until the first service this weekend. Since I haven't even sat on a Ninja 300, I'm not qualified to compare the two so don't expect an A/B comparison between the them.

I picked up the Z300 to be a year round commuter so I don't see myself doing hours at highway speeds on the thing. If it was my only motorcycle and I was at least 10 years younger, then it may be worth putting some money into it to make it more able to do such a job.

The tires are IRC Road Winner 110 / 140. I know almost everybody hates stock tires (unless they happen to be Pirelli Diablo Rosso which came stock on my 675 Street Triple R) and normally I would fall in that category. Between the lack of selection for the stock size, owning another motorcycle and wanting to buy an adventure bike, I decided I am going to keep the stock tires on until it is time to wear them down. Unfortunately, I do not have an opinion (good or bad) about the tires because the majority of the 850 km I put on the tires have been in the cold & wet. I was lucky enough to put the first 100'ish km on in the cold & dry. So between a new bike and unknown tires on slick roads is like being on a blind date that was set up by a co-worker than you don't even know their name and the date brought her parents with... I do have to say that I broke the rear loose one while going around a roundabout (they are always have an angle going down from the center) in the pouring rain while applying a little too much throttle because a car was about to pull out in front of me. Luckily I straightened out just enough to make it stop and realized it was my own mistake that cause it.

Speaking of the cold, I am using Gerbing XR-12 (2.2A / 27 Watt) gloves and Heated Jacket Liner (6.5A / 78 Watt). I have the controller set at 3 / 2 (gloves / jacket) and so far no issues. I always start the bike before plugging in the gear, set the levels (thanks to the morons who leave everything maxed out and complain to Gerbing after they burn themselves, the controller is off at first power up), unplug, blip the throttle a couple of times and then turn off the bike. Shortest ride time was 15 - 20 minutes but normally over 45 minutes to make sure the engine is nice and warm while charging the battery. When I first got the gear, I plugged the gear into a running Honda Grom, blipped the throttle a few times, put it in gear and watched the bike die. Even after unplugging it within 5 seconds of the Grom dying, the battery had trouble starting the 100% stock Grom. So heated gear works for this bike as of right now with the controller set to the mid-point.

With an 86.5 cm / 34 inch inseam, couple of hours without a break I find myself getting cramped. I think this has to do more with sitting in one place than anything else because I do through this with every bike I've ever owned. There is a slight lean forward. With the Street Triple, I used to feel it in the wrists at slow speeds at lot, so the Z300 isn't as bad at all. According to Motorcycle Ergonomics, the Z300 is 1 degree less than the Street Triple. To me, it just feels better overall. As far as the handling differences, the Z300 is going to be a rougher ride uneven pavement because it doesn't have the suspension like a bigger, heavier bike has due to the fact it is a lighter bike. I am pretty much used to it because I left my Grom stock and just couldn't see putting 750- in suspension upgrades on a 3500- bike especially when I had other bikes.

Even though I own a Harley with a big, loud exhaust (helps the 124" motor breath properly), I am pretty happy with a quiet stock exhaust since parting ways with the Monster 620 w/ dual Termignoni exhaust. It must be either due to age or the fact I like money more than impressing a handful of strangers at the dealership but slapping an after market exhaust on doesn't seem appealing anymore. If I had a dedicated track bike, I'm sure that I would go with a lighter, full system but the key here is the application the bike is being used. I did get the Performance edition and it came with the Akrapovic slip-on. If I didn't know any better, I swear the Akrapovic slip-on is actually quieter than the stock Grom exhaust at 3 years old. It's staying on only because I don't have the stock exhaust or the motivation to buy a stock exhaust, swap them out and hope that someone buys the slip-on for more money than it cost to go with stock.

After the first service, I will be bringing the RPMs up slowly (I usually go up 1000 per every 100 km) as I have done on every bike I owned. It is possible that I sign up for some track day training in the spring to get more antiquated with the Z300 and sharpen my skills. The first impressions are pretty positive even though I've been limited based on the weather. I am glad I decided not to get the KTM 390 Duke.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts