Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been following along with the threads on this forum for awhile now and its gotten me extremely excited to finally go out and buy my first bike, a Kawasaki Ninja 300 of course! haha I really can't wait. But... I just have a couple questions before I go and seriously sit down with a dealership to try and buy one. My questions are..

The dealership in my area is selling the Ninja 300 (White Pearl) for $4,799, but how does buying a bike from a dealership work; Like can I go in and wheel and deal for a good deal or do most dealers not budge a penny? How good of a deal do you think is REALISTIC if they don't mind selling for the lower than tag price. (For a 22 year old with decent/good credit I think, have never missed a payment on my college loans and have been doing so for the last couple years straight)

After settling with the deal, on average what will the added up costs be for any other expenses, like gear and just everything you can think of if thats not to much to ask, just a general sum I guess. I've been saving up but I need to be as realistic as possible now that I am ready to walk in to buy one! That's about it, thanks a lot for your time! - Jason

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Hey all, I've been following along with the threads on this forum for awhile now and its gotten me extremely excited to finally go out and buy my first bike, a Kawasaki Ninja 300 of course! haha I really can't wait. But... I just have a couple questions before I go and seriously sit down with a dealership to try and buy one. My questions are..

The dealership in my area is selling the Ninja 300 (White Pearl) for $4,799, but how does buying a bike from a dealership work; Like can I go in and wheel and deal for a good deal or do most dealers not budge a penny? How good of a deal do you think is REALISTIC if they don't mind selling for the lower than tag price. (For a 22 year old with decent/good credit I think, have never missed a payment on my college loans and have been doing so for the last couple years straight)

After settling with the deal, on average what will the added up costs be for any other expenses, like gear and just everything you can think of if thats not to much to ask, just a general sum I guess. I've been saving up but I need to be as realistic as possible now that I am ready to walk in to buy one! That's about it, thanks a lot for your time! - Jason
Go in or call a few dealerships and ask what it will cost OTD (out the door) which is the total cost after taxes, set-up, registration, etc. There's a thread on here where people have posted the OTD prices they paid or were quoted.

http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/8-ninja-300-general-discussion/26-your-otd-price.html

Find the ones in your area for the most accurate idea of what to expect. Different areas have very different prices so it's hard to tell you exactly what you should expect. Your credit isn't going to have a bearing on the price; it only affects the interest rate on a loan if you need to finance. You can try to bargain after that and play the dealerships' prices against each other, though if a dealership quotes you something obscenely high, I would not waste my time with them.

As for the cost of gear, it really depends on what you plan to get. I would personally budget in at least $1000 for some basic gear though.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Calling worked the best for me. Get lots of quotes, then when you get a low one call the others back to see if they can beat it.

This actually happened to me. I was driving to a dealer to buy the bike and got a call from the manager at a closer dealer and he offered me the same low price so I changed my route and bought from the closer dealer for the same price...actually like $5 less.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well...

It's likely that you will be paying MSRP for the motorcycle. That range is anywhere from $4,500 - $4,750 or so for non ABS models.

And unfortunately you've started looking at the bike at what would be "spring" so it's unlikley you'll find any fantastic deals on gear right now unless you are able to pick up the 2012 gear thats been replaced by 2013 gear.

The best "deal" i've seen is the one I got through Costco. You pay $150 over MSRP for the bike you want, and you don't have to pay any of the delivery/setup fees dealers normally charge (my dealer wanted $500 more than others in the area before I told him I was a costco member), you get a $250 costco gift card if you fill out a survey afterwards and ontop of that you get 20% off all gear/accessories at time of purchase.

A costco membership will set you back $55 so you basically get a giftcard for $195 to use at their store, plus you save a ton on everything else.

I didn't buy any accessories myself (in retrospect I should have) but I got my ABS version for $6400 - $250 gift card = ~$6150

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
@tfkrocks
Woah alright $1000 for gear, I'll take the advice in stride and defiantly save up a little more! I'll check out the OTD thread, that's exactly what I was looking for in regards to answering my questions, appreciate the help!
@luckydawg003
haha thats a good idea, I live in a really competitive area so this should work well! I'll read the OTD thread so I can get a better idea of who is giving me absurd prices and who's not, and use this tactic on them, thanks!
@jerros
No way!? I'm actually a Cosco member myself, haha! This is some great advice, I'm defiantly going to look more into this, THANK YOU

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
@tfkrocks
Woah alright $1000 for gear, I'll take the advice in stride and defiantly save up a little more! I'll check out the OTD thread, that's exactly what I was looking for in regards to answering my questions, appreciate the help!
@luckydawg003
haha thats a good idea, I live in a really competitive area so this should work well! I'll read the OTD thread so I can get a better idea of who is giving me absurd prices and who's not, and use this tactic on them, thanks!
I just found it a good amount to aim for. It was my budget when I bought my first bike before I actually researched any gear. However, you can definitely start researching gear now and figure out exactly what you want so you'd know the cost as well.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The Ninja 300 is a "new" model, plus its Spring time, so expect to pay MSRP.

Dealers also charge shipping and assemby fees for new bikes in addition to their D&H fees. Then they will try and talk you into buying an extended warranty. And then there is finance charges, taxes and maybe some DMV fees.

Don't forget about insurance and buying gear.

That leaves you with less than $5 to feast with at Taco Bell.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts

You can walk in an pay cash and you most likely wont get a better deal considering most in the us pay in the 5-6 for the same bike

·
Registered
295 Posts
You can walk in an pay cash and you most likely wont get a better deal considering most in the us pay in the 5-6 for the same bike
I did some calculations a while back. The invoice price of a Ninja 300 and MSRP is typically markup of between $300-$500. Some dealers mark up destination and assembly charges as well...but that's dealer specific.

Also buying in cash doesn't help much, because the whole notion of getting a deal when you buy in cash came from the days when the dealers wouldn't make nearly as much profit off of you if you happened to finance.

As a general rule of thumb you'll be paying $1,000 over MSRP for the bike after taxes, title, assembly and what not. You could probably talk the dealer down $250 or so, and if they are a high volume delaer they might go further.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Good information ^, Now I realize I have a TON of homework to do first before I go out and buy. Going to look into credit unions, I hear Kawasaki's loan % is too high, but I'll check everything out and decide. Also like you said now is probably a bad time to buy b/c it being Springtime, I'll take everything into consideration. Looks like I got a lot of reading up and phone calls to make! Going to be all worth it in the end :) Again excellent advice

Edit -
@jerros: Ah thats pretty interesting, I can see how that would make sense.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Try to negotiate with a dealer as much you can, get a written quote from them, and then take it to another dealer to have them beat it.

I did that + got the Costco deal. Goodluck to you!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Good information ^, Now I realize I have a TON of homework to do first before I go out and buy. Going to look into credit unions, I hear Kawasaki's loan % is too high, but I'll check everything out and decide. Also like you said now is probably a bad time to buy b/c it being Springtime, I'll take everything into consideration. Looks like I got a lot of reading up and phone calls to make! Going to be all worth it in the end :) Again excellent advice

Edit:
@jerros, I'll bring that up when I go and talk to a dealership to see what they have to say about that, that's pretty interesting. So maybe I could possibly get a better deal if I get a Kawasaki dealership loan rather than going to a local credit union and getting the $ and buying the bike with cash at the Kawasaki dealership.

Not sure where you are at... but USAA has the best intro rates for motorcycle loans I've seen. You don't need to be a military member to qualify for them either. I think the rate is 5.99% my local credit union is around 8%. Dealers sometimes have low promo rates, but I ended up getting mine with a 0% APR promo from my credit card company. I'm sure they aren't very happy with me at the moment...

My best advice is to have an idea of what you want to pay in your head and leave if the dealer doesn't get in the ballpark. My initial quote for my motorcycle was nearly $900 more than I was expecting to pay...I pulled up the MarkNoWhere Ninja 300 youtube unboxing video and asked the dealer "So it's $500 to put on a windshield and fill the motorcycle up with fluids? Do I look like a sucker to you?" in my best joe pesci voice.

The price is always negotiable...but you need to understand how much profit they are making on a bike before you can talk them down. it's unlikely you'll get them down more than $500, and you need to becareful they don't recoupe the losses elsewhere in the financing office if you do so.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts