Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Someone needs to set this section off! :D
How about we see your Kawasaki dirt bikes?

Here's my 1998 KLX300R. Fun bike. Going riding with it saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That thing looks WAY too clean, Mike!
I like the WR. If Yamaha brings a street legal version of the new fuel injected WR450, I'll be in line to buy.

I agree that Kawasaki doesn't have a modern dirt bike that I would buy, but the KLX300R does an admirable job in the dirt.
My DRZ400S will walk away from it though...:D

·
Registered
446 Posts
That thing looks WAY too clean, Mike!
I like the WR. If Yamaha brings a street legal version of the new fuel injected WR450, I'll be in line to buy.

I agree that Kawasaki doesn't have a modern dirt bike that I would buy, but the KLX300R does an admirable job in the dirt.
My DRZ400S will walk away from it though...:D
The WR is a LOT faster than I would ever have imagined before riding it. Nothing like my last bike though...Honda CRF250X (modded to 43whp + power wheelies in 2nd!). The ability to explore on the road and find a new trail is worth the trade-offs of a dualsport I think. I get 60-70mpg on the WRR and it will hit 100mph flat out. It is the most fun bike I have ever owned, with my new 300 coming in 2nd (funny it is not any of my supersports)

I wash it a lot. It has been through a lot haha. Here is what it normally looks like.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I miss my dirtbike......i bought an old beater yamaha 2stroke....95 model I think....it had been rode hard and put up wet so it looked rough but it was still kickin. That is until I locked the motor up. Apparently when my friend rode it before me he did not tell me about the "accident" he had. So i didnt notice the oil leak due to all the mud. I got on it and rode for about 1 or 2 minutes and the thing just died...threw smoke everywhere. Not bad through I only paid $200 for it and had it for a good year.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My first and only bike (the 300 will be my second) was an '09 KLX250s. Like mike said, the WR250 was much better and the klx, left alot to be desired, but either way I bought it brand new and I was 18, young, dumb, and etc... I spent all my money doing evrything I could to make that little 300lb 18hp thumper faster... after a full exhaust, 330cc big bore kit, $600 FCR Pumper Carb (who uses carbs these days anyway!!!) more agressive cams, Knife edged valves, braided brake lines, handgaurds grips, powdercoated rims, basically everything you can do to it...put about 8 grand into a 5 grand bike lol and althought it was an excellent dualsport by that point and was fast as anything offroad, it still was only topping out at 105 MPH on the street and I wasn't happy....Thats when the light went off and i realized I wanted and needed a full on street bike. I love dirtbikes and offroading So, so very much but unfortunatly I just don't have very many places to ride around where I live so I figured selling the bike because I had to pay for college at that time and saving up for a street bike was the best idea... Years later and now i've saved up the cash and i'm dying to get my paws on an SE ninja 300!!! Had my heart set on the '12 ninja 650 but the 300 just swept me off my feet, i still don't know how.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:confused:
The 300 is better than a 650R in my eyes. The 650R falls too far short of the 600s but it's too fast to ignore them. The 300 is a different class and is not to be cross shopped with a supersport 600. The bikes you should cross shop it with are so inferior it really stands out as THE bike to buy
Lol. Did you mean to post this elsewhere?

·
Registered
446 Posts
:confused:

Lol. Did you mean to post this elsewhere?
Nope,

the guy before me said

"Had my heart set on the '12 ninja 650 but the 300 just swept me off my feet, i still don't know how."

Back to the dirt...I am thinking of picking up an adventure bike here soon. The WR falls short for LONG highway rides to new places. I want a bike I can jump on and ride across the country then ride some single track.

Maybe a BMW GS...?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Back to the dirt...I am thinking of picking up an adventure bike here soon. The WR falls short for LONG highway rides to new places. I want a bike I can jump on and ride across the country then ride some single track.

Maybe a BMW GS...?
I know a few guys that have/love the Yamaha Super Tenre. One guy bought one last february, dead of winter here, and has amassed 19,000 miles...ALREADY! In 9 months!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I know a few guys that have/love the Yamaha Super Tenre. One guy bought one last february, dead of winter here, and has amassed 19,000 miles...ALREADY! In 9 months!
I've done alot of reading about the Super tenere and have not been able to understand WHY in the **** anyone would want to spend such a huge amount of money on such a heavy bike which isn't even that capable off-road. i must admit I am only 21 soon to be 22 and a bit biased to either street bikes or full on dirtbikes or well made dual sports (KTM has some great offerings) but i'm just not digging this whole "Adventure" category personally... To me it's just a heavier, rediculously expensive DS with less off road capability a bit more comfort, and the abilty to hold hideously ugly looking rectagular luggage bags.... Then again I'm not judging anyone who likes or has one, i'm just saying i don't see how or why anyone would shell out that kind of cash for something like that when you can get a much more capable DS with an upgraded, more comfy seat (I.E. Corbin etc.) for so much less with so much more abilty off-road and better MPG.... But then again i am young and in college and have had to work extremely hard and long for any and all of the money/possesions I have owned and unfortunately do not have the disposable income to buy multiple bikes for myself. But, maybe in the future, after I graduate and can hopefully use my degree to get a well-paying career (assuming there still is a USA and the world as we know it is still alive and well...with the econmy these days and what's happening in Greece and the rest of Europe I can't be too sure. Sorry to bring up politics!) and have the rediculous loans payed off and have my other necessities taken care of, I can focus on buying myself multiple toys and then perhaps my perspective will change. Never say Never. So, as many people know, different strokes for different folks so no hate here, just sharing my perspetive....

·
Registered
198 Posts
I've done alot of reading about the Super tenere and have not been able to understand WHY in the **** anyone would want to spend such a huge amount of money on such a heavy bike which isn't even that capable off-road. i must admit I am only 21 soon to be 22 and a bit biased to either street bikes or full on dirtbikes or well made dual sports (KTM has some great offerings) but i'm just not digging this whole "Adventure" category personally... To me it's just a heavier, rediculously expensive DS with less off road capability a bit more comfort, and the abilty to hold hideously ugly looking rectagular luggage bags.... Then again I'm not judging anyone who likes or has one, i'm just saying i don't see how or why anyone would shell out that kind of cash for something like that when you can get a much more capable DS with an upgraded, more comfy seat (I.E. Corbin etc.) for so much less with so much more abilty off-road and better MPG.... But then again i am young and in college and have had to work extremely hard and long for any and all of the money/possesions I have owned and unfortunately do not have the disposable income to buy multiple bikes for myself. But, maybe in the future, after I graduate and can hopefully use my degree to get a well-paying career (assuming there still is a USA and the world as we know it is still alive and well...with the econmy these days and what's happening in Greece and the rest of Europe I can't be too sure. Sorry to bring up politics!) and have the rediculous loans payed off and have my other necessities taken care of, I can focus on buying myself multiple toys and then perhaps my perspective will change. Never say Never. So, as many people know, different strokes for different folks so no hate here, just sharing my perspetive....
I tend to agree with you mate not a fan!

Thanks for the life story too :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't have a Ninja yet. This is my ride right now, an 09 KLX250S. Bought is new in 2008. It is no race bike, but much faster after some mods; 330cc kit, full Muzzy exhaust/header, KDX snorkel, Uni air filter, Dynjojet kit for the carb, and some other non engine mods.

I also had a 2006 KTM 200XC-W, shown behind me and the KLX in one of my favorite riding areas, which is no longer open to bikes. And the KTM was stolen out of my garage.

Here is the garage the KTM was stolen out of, in 2010 I think.

Here is the KLX in 2008 before I change the graphics. Launching into orbit, lol!

Sadly, there are far fewer dirt biking days the last couple of years, so I might give up on that and get a street bike instead. The Ninja 300 is one of the bikes I'm considering.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about putting motard wheels/tires on the KLX, I think with my engine mods it could be fun on the street. I have Michelin street legal knobbies on it now, but they really suck on the street.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.