Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOT ANOTHER K&N POST I KNOW!!

But I keep searching the inter web to seek my answer but come up with no luck.

I want to know if K&N air filters actually have a proven performance value to them. And if the K&N oil filters have any impact too. What a company says about its product is one thing, everyday riders are the real judges. Would love to hear your thoughts if you have installed the Air filter and Oil Filter. Would love to see a dyno chart for a 300 with and without the upgrade. Cheers

·
Registered
151 Posts
When I bought my bike used, it came with it as well as the snorkel removed. I would like to know as well.

I also installed it in my car but when I bought it I had sheep mentality.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Plenty of research already done on air filters. General consensus, you gain a very tiny percent increase of horsepower... somewhere in the neighborhood of 1% (assuming you adjust the computer to handle the extra air flow). But you sacrifice the protection that your air filter provides.

There will always be a sacrifice with air filters. You increase airflow to get power, and therefor reduce filtration, allowing dust in with the extra air. Or you gain more protection from foreign particles by reducing airflow, and losing power.

And that is not to mention damage to air sensors caused by over oiling a filter (if you have that type)

·
Registered
784 Posts
FYI: The 300 stock filters are oiled.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I have both the K&N air and oil filters. Personally, I didn't feel any increase in performance, but this may be because I hadn't been riding for a long time or I switched them out relatively early in the bike's life. However, my reasons for switching weren't solely performance related, for me it was more about quality. Sure the OEM filters are sufficient to make the bike run, but I wanted a better product for my bike. Just because you may not feel an increase in performance does not mean that the bike is running better.

My :2cents:

·
Registered
262 Posts
you will not notice any gains, K&N....Chinese made garbage...riding on an American name...don't waste your money...the only thing cool is an oil filter with a 17mm nut on the end....

·
Registered
887 Posts
you will not notice any gains, K&N....Chinese made garbage...riding on an American name...don't waste your money...the only thing cool is an oil filter with a 17mm nut on the end....
Have to bump this thread because this is BS. Their products are made in the USA, even their grease. You're an idiot.

·
Registered
206 Posts
K&N stands for Kenny and Norm. Two guys that started their careers by racing motorcycles and became so popular for making high flow air filters that they started a company. http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=50

The answer is YES... you do get a confirmed gain in performance with ANY brand high flow air filter. It is basic physics. More air flow means better performance. However, the amount gained is completely relative. (The gain is proportional to the amount of total horsepower.)

If you have a car with high horsepower, you can expect a big gain by installing a high flow filter. But here we are discussing a engine that comes with 35HP from the factory. So the gain you get on a Ninja 300 is VERY small amount.

Some of the more technical folks on this board my have a exact figure, but upgrading to a high flow filter on a Ninja 300 is going to gain less than one horsepower.

Still... a gain is a gain. A fraction of a horsepower here and a little bit of weight savings there will all add up to overall increased performance. If you can stack enough little things together you eventually end up with something significant.

So yes... upgrading your air filter will make your engine breath better and your wallet lighter... both things will make your bike faster... but only by a fraction.

-Vorax

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
K&N is headquartered in Riverside, California, in a complex of 10 buildings comprising nearly 400,000 square feet. K&N also operates facilities in England and the Netherlands

·
Registered
262 Posts
K&N is headquartered in Riverside, California, in a complex of 10 buildings comprising nearly 400,000 square feet. K&N also operates facilities in England and the Netherlands
still made in china...read the box...probably costs 20 cents to make 20 of them.....

·
Registered
996 Posts
Lol at this guy ^

You joined nearly 2 years ago and this is one of the 6 things you felt warranted a post?

There isn't necessarily anything bad about being made in China, it really comes down to quality control. All the Chinese junk comes from companies who don't give a crap about QC. It's possible to get reliably high quality products from China as long as a company has the design and QC aspects of production down.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Chinese made and Chinese designed are 2 different things.
It's not that Made in China is bad. It's the fact that ABC, Inc located in California decided to open up a shop in China for the low labor and low cost of materials to manufacture a product. ABC, Inc wants to make as much profit as possible and decided to use cheap quality crap to put together their product.

Look at Apple, Inc. Made in China. But we can't say it's garbage. The iPhone is probably better made than a lot of the stuff that's made in the USA.

Now.....Designed and made in China. Check this out:

·
Registered
887 Posts
I have installed five K&N air filters, a few of their oil filters, in my lifetime. Two for Porsche 944's, one Porsche 986, one for a Porsche 911 (997) GTS 4, and my Ninja 300. They all say "MADE IN USA" right on them. The grease tube that came with my filter this week for my bike even says "MADE IN USA".

"Handmade in the USA and in the United Kingdom using only the finest materials, K&N OE Replacement Air Filters are washable and reusable." http://www.knfilters.com/kn/filtercharger01.htm

I'll refrain from vulgarities, for Spacep0d's sake lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
quality is not even mentioned. only country of manufacture. you seem to post every time you fart or sneeze, over 900 posts in a year. you must think you have something of value to say about everything. get a life

·
Registered
664 Posts
I put K&N filters in my car once. I noticed a performance gain just like I do after I wash and wax it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts