Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Congrats on the upgrade! As with the loud pipe I agree with the suggestion above, grab one of those baffle inserts, they really help when it comes to noise reduction. Some are different from others depending on manufacturer so you will have to do some research as to what is needed for the installation.

Ride safe and enjoy your new bike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
You were mentioning that the stock levers are too far out. It looks like they come with adjustment built in from the factory (the silver dial in the photos)?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
You were mentioning that the stock levers are too far out. It looks like they come with adjustment built in from the factory (the silver dial in the photos)?
OMG SPARKCYCLE! How did I not notice that?!?

I could kiss you! :x

(Not really, but THANK YOU!!!!) :emot-worship:

EDIT: Well I went and checked it out, and it's only on the brake side as far as I can tell, which I moved in as much as possible, but the clutch remains a bear. Looks like shorty levers are still on the list of winter mods.

As a side note, I'm thinking I'll want a steering damper, but oh my goodness are they expensive...

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
From what I've seen, the radial type that go on top of the steering stem tend to be a bit more progressive in feel and much easier to adjust and install if your bike doesn't have a stock damper. The longer linear dampers tend to have a more linear feel from what I've felt and also tend to be a much simpler design so they can be easier to maintain and service and will many times install in place of the stock damper mounting points if your bike has one. The 13+ ZX-6R doesn't have a stock damper so you wont have mounting points on the triple tree or forks. But then again, from what I've read and talked to with other owners of your model range of bike, it doesn't really need one for the street. The longer rake and trail lends itself to be a very stable steering bike. Generally dampers tend to mask poorly setup suspensions so as long as you have your suspension tuned properly for you and the riding you'll do, you shouldn't really need one for the road. Most people I knew who HAD to get a damper for any of their super sports that don't come with one did so because they're stunters and do wheelies all the damn time or they track and are in the upper limits of speed where a tank slapper becomes much more common when hitting a bump. At street legal speeds though, your bike should perform admirably without one if you want to save the cash.

If you really really want one though, I'd suggest following through with the GPR V4 or maybe the Scotts rotary type dampers. These tend to hold up much better if you for some reason go down and may be easier to install if ohlins doesn't have the nice brackets for your bike.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
From what I've seen, the radial type that go on top of the steering stem tend to be a bit more progressive in feel and much easier to adjust and install if your bike doesn't have a stock damper. The longer linear dampers tend to have a more linear feel from what I've felt and also tend to be a much simpler design so they can be easier to maintain and service and will many times install in place of the stock damper mounting points if your bike has one. The 13+ ZX-6R doesn't have a stock damper so you wont have mounting points on the triple tree or forks. But then again, from what I've read and talked to with other owners of your model range of bike, it doesn't really need one for the street. The longer rake and trail lends itself to be a very stable steering bike. Generally dampers tend to mask poorly setup suspensions so as long as you have your suspension tuned properly for you and the riding you'll do, you shouldn't really need one for the road. Most people I knew who HAD to get a damper for any of their super sports that don't come with one did so because they're stunters and do wheelies all the damn time or they track and are in the upper limits of speed where a tank slapper becomes much more common when hitting a bump. At street legal speeds though, your bike should perform admirably without one if you want to save the cash.

If you really really want one though, I'd suggest following through with the GPR V4 or maybe the Scotts rotary type dampers. These tend to hold up much better if you for some reason go down and may be easier to install if ohlins doesn't have the nice brackets for your bike.
The background to why I asked is because some of the roads I frequent can be less than smooth, and I noticed the steering is a bit more sensitive/twitchy when riding slow on these rougher features. I know that some of it is my transition from the 300, but I feel like the damper is a good idea from my current experience (limited experience). I do plan to track the bike at some point in the future, hopefully by the middle of the upcoming year.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Cool. There's nothing wrong with that either. The super sports in the 600cc class tend to feel very touchy and sensitive in steering because they generally are. The Ninja 300 has a very relaxed steering geometry and setup and isn't as sensitive to input as the your ZX-6R feels right now or any of the other super sports. Hell the R6 doesn't come with a damper either and it felt pretty squirrely at times. It's not a bad investment if nothing more than to add a bit more piece of mind and confidence. Just bear in mind, that you wont be able to get any of the more advanced electronically controlled versions as I don't the the ZXs ECU has input-output for one so it'll be a standard resistance damper. Just remember though that these things are dumb and don't sense speed so you're going to always have a some level of resistance turning which is nice at highway speeds but sucks in the parking lot. On my GSX-R I can feel the steering to be slightly heavier at parking lot speeds compared to the other bikes I had and it makes lock to lock turns a bit more difficult as well on top of the more demanding geometry.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Congrats.

I love having a damper on my Ducati. If it's set too loose than I get "head shake" at highway speeds and on certain roads. So I keep it relatively tight.

My 08 GSR had a non-adjustable damper, it worked very well on the street.

Both were the "linear type" that Free refers to.

Dave

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Cool. There's nothing wrong with that either. The super sports in the 600cc class tend to feel very touchy and sensitive in steering because they generally are. The Ninja 300 has a very relaxed steering geometry and setup and isn't as sensitive to input as the your ZX-6R feels right now or any of the other super sports. Hell the R6 doesn't come with a damper either and it felt pretty squirrely at times. It's not a bad investment if nothing more than to add a bit more piece of mind and confidence. Just bear in mind, that you wont be able to get any of the more advanced electronically controlled versions as I don't the the ZXs ECU has input-output for one so it'll be a standard resistance damper. Just remember though that these things are dumb and don't sense speed so you're going to always have a some level of resistance turning which is nice at highway speeds but sucks in the parking lot. On my GSX-R I can feel the steering to be slightly heavier at parking lot speeds compared to the other bikes I had and it makes lock to lock turns a bit more difficult as well on top of the more demanding geometry.
Congrats.

I love having a damper on my Ducati. If it's set too loose than I get "head shake" at highway speeds and on certain roads. So I keep it relatively tight.

My 08 GSR had a non-adjustable damper, it worked very well on the street.

Both were the "linear type" that Free refers to.

Dave
I'd probably have it set a little lower, just for stability, I don't need it halfway driving for me, lol!:laugh2:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Nice write-up! The 300 has a goodly amount of space under the rear seat, especially once you remove that tray thingie.
What I did. Good idea IMO.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Congrats on the purchase!! Glad to see you kept the 300!

I didn't read the full 4 pages, i apologize haha. But out of curiosity, with 7.8k out the door, what was the mileage on the bike to begin with? Feel free to ignore me if it's already in a post somewhere =D

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
It's been so long, and my bike (and my gf's bike) have been stolen (last year early summer). Just in case you or anyone else is still interested, the mileage was 2800 miles.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It's been so long, and my bike (and my gf's bike) have been stolen (last year early summer). Just in case you or anyone else is still interested, the mileage was 2800 miles.
Sorry to hear about that. Especially since this thread let me just relive how enthusiastic and happy you were to get the bike. Have you at least replaced it?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Sorry to hear about that. Especially since this thread let me just relive how enthusiastic and happy you were to get the bike. Have you at least replaced it?
Unfortunately/fortunately the insurance payout went toward the down payment of a house, so there's no replacing it any time soon. I'll likely be in my 30's before I'm in a position to get another bike...

Still, it was amazing to have had it in my life while I could, and I cherish the memories I had riding it. :smile2:

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Both stolen at THE SAME TIME??? Sucks!
Yeah, I was at my girlfriend's apartment, parked right next to hers. Came back that night after work and was like, "Uhh, did she move our bikes?"

No, the answer, was no...

So... that's what full coverage is for, and I was lucky to have it. I actually got paid out a bit more than I paid for the bike, which is nifty.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts