Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2013 Ninja 300 that I just crashed yesterday. I was coming around a sharp turn, hit some gravel, fixated my vision on the rock wall on the outside of the turn and crashed head on into it. The front of my bike got all messed up. A buddy came by with a truck and we took it to a dealership where I got a damage estimate. According to them, parts alone would be $4600 (big ticket items include the meter display, which would be required for inspection, the front forks (had a scratch, but not visibly bent), front wheel (had a scratch, but not visibly bent), and all of the front fairings, cowlings, and headlight assembly. I think after reading over the parts list, I could get away only replacing the meter assembly and cover, the windshield and mirrors, one clip-on handlebar, as well as the headlight assembly and it pass inspection. Combined parts on those pieces alone is probably $1500, and I found an A-M BlissStar Fairings set for about $600 with shipping, so that would put me at about $2100 in parts alone if I want to do all the labor myself.
My other option is to report it to my insurance, have them tell me it's 'totaled', since the retail value of the bike is only about $3600, and parts alone are more than that, and then pay the $500 deductible. I have Progressive and I do not think I have Total Loss Coverage, so they would only give me the retail value of the bike pre-loss. Another drawback being my insurance premiums would probably go way up. Does anybody have any idea how much premiums would go up? I have comprehensive and collision coverage and pay about $700/year currently. Also, would this affect my car insurance rates too?
When is it worth it to submit the claim to insurance and when is it worth it to just buy the parts and do the work myself?
Again it's the difference between a $500 deductible and potentially huge premium increases or minimum $2100 in parts and my own labor.
What do you guys think I should do?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have Progressive and I crashed my CBR250 last year. The damage was more than the bike so Progressive totalled it. I was thinking of fixing it my self but ended up using my deductible and buying my Ninja 300. Your insurance will definitely go up. I was paying $230 a year for my CBR250 and now I pay $490 for my 300.

If your thinking about upgrading, which honestly, at this point would not be in your best interest, your insurance rate will sky rocket. Your insurance wilk not go down for 3 years of consistent coversge. Out of curiosity I got a quote for my brothers CBR6000rr and my quote was close to $1800 per year.

Personally, I would use the insurance and get a new 300. Start slow, go back to the basics, don't get too cocky and use this 3 year period of high interest rates as a great time to learn from your mistakes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have Progressive and I crashed my CBR250 last year. The damage was more than the bike so Progressive totalled it. I was thinking of fixing it my self but ended up using my deductible and buying my Ninja 300. Your insurance will definitely go up. I was paying $230 a year for my CBR250 and now I pay $490 for my 300.
$490 a YEAR??? I have Progressive as well and I pay $100 a MONTH. Get me out of this city!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i should probably also mention i owe about $2000 still on the bike. so with insurance, after the deductible and paying back the balance owed on the bike, i'm looking at less than $1000 in cash, no motorcycle, and increased insurance rates on my car and bike for the next 3 years.

·
Registered
286 Posts
If you feel confident that you can repair the bike yourself then you could let them total it out and then buy it back. I did this with my 2001 SV650. This was with progressive. It totaled out and they paid me 3k. I used about 1k of that to get it road worthy then I bought a bunch of gear and a couple track days. :D

·
Registered
585 Posts
$490 a YEAR??? I have Progressive as well and I pay $100 a MONTH. Get me out of this city!
One thing to keep in mind when viewing other's premiums is that you have no idea what coverage they opted for or what deductibles they have, mine could be dirt cheap, but I'd rather have more coverage and lower deductibles if something ever does happen, and I pay $50/mo with 1yr riding experience and 1 point on my record and still have excellent coverage and low deductibles!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
One thing to keep in mind when viewing other's premiums is that you have no idea what coverage they opted for or what deductibles they have, mine could be dirt cheap, but I'd rather have more coverage and lower deductibles if something ever does happen, and I pay $50/mo with 1yr riding experience and 1 point on my record and still have excellent coverage and low deductibles!

Good point. I failed to mention I have full coverage, $500 deductibles, own the bike, and am 26 with a clean driving record minus my motorcycle accident. Also, a rider with 1yr experience.

I must say I was not surprised with the price to insure a super sport for a new rider with an accident on my record. I could do so much with $1800 a year!

·
Registered
366 Posts
500 a year paid in full full coverage 500 deduct here

why is your ninja only worth 3600?

pay your deductible -- why do you have full coverage if you won't use it when you need it? if that's the case you should be on a liability and comprehensive plan

·
Registered
585 Posts
500 a year paid in full full coverage 500 deduct here

why is your ninja only worth 3600?

pay your deductible -- why do you have full coverage if you won't use it when you need it? if that's the case you should be on a liability and comprehensive plan
If it's financed you generally are required to have full coverage, otherwise, as is the case here, you can be on a lesser plan.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
my full coverage costs me $200/year.. didn't opt out of anything, I've even got like $3000 in coverage for add-ons, passenger insurance, etc.. I would be paying 100-200 per month if I move up to a 600cc class bike manufactured in the last 5 years.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash. I hope you're alright.

As for making a claim, always do the math. Get your insurance requoted with the at-fault accident on your record. If your insurance goes up $1000/year for 3 years that's $3000 + $500 deductible for a total out of pocket expense of $3500. If your claim is over the total out of pocket expense then you come out ahead. If you can fix it yourself for less than the out of pocket expense then it makes sense to just eat the cost yourself.

There's no harm in requoting the insurance, it ain't official until you file the claim. Most insurance providers will let you do an on-line quote so you can get an idea of what your cost would be. Just a thought. (Also, don't trust the on-line quote to be the gospel truth, use it as a guideline. You may even want to check 2 or 3 different companies to get an idea of how big of a percentage the increase will be.)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.