Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so about a little over a month ago I noticed a slight jerking at constant throttle and it slowly got worse and worse. I searched as much as I could online to see if I could find an answer but I couldn't :| . I did however come across the term "surging" and based on the description it was given it seemed to match my issue the most. This jerking/surging was most noticeable at 6k-8k on the rpms, everywhere else it was either not there or very subtle. I noticed that whenever I pulled the clutch in that it would ride smoothly so I came to the conclusion that it might be my chain. So I checked it and there was binding in a few spots, the gap between the tight spot and the rest of the chain was about 2 inches and there was a red dusty substance on it almost like rust which from what ive read is due to failing O-rings, this chain was done. I got a new chain and decided to go +1 on the front sprocket while I was at it and thankfully it seems I was right, the jerking had stopped :grin2:

So I just wanted to ask all of you if this was indeed the "surging" phenomenon. Sorry for the crappy volume and wind noise, first time recording while riding. It is most noticeable after 1:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobHadtYhFY

·
Registered
186 Posts
I first watched your video without reading the post, and immediately was going to say is your chain is failing. This happens when the o-rings on the chain fail and the lube gets out, detectable by analyzing the chain for any red rust powder on the links.

However, you already know all this :)

The reason no one has responded to the thread is because you have clearly resolved this issue on your own. However I understand that you want to make sure you have done the right thing, so let me just say great job researching the issue, diagnosing, and repairing by yourself. That is a good skill to have in the toolbox.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response :) yeah thankfully I was able to fix it, but i just wanted to make sure if this is indeed what is called "surging" or if it is called something else because no matter how i restated my issue on google search i couldnt find what i needed, i always ended up clicking on something that was talking about a totally different problem, the same symptom, but it would go into talking about fuel injectors, remapping, fuel ratios, stuff like that. I pretty much want the word that i should use if i ever need to describe this problem again, so that it's easier next time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem, already did plugs and cleaned the fuel system and intake, looking at clutch or chain/sproket next. was the chain indeed the issue?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts