Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Jacket

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  BamBam 
#1 ·
anyone where a mesh jacket how good of protection do they have or should i go for a leather /textile

#2 ·
Mesh will still give good protection, especially in high impact areas, but it would bleed off it's potential protection after a slide. So unlike leather and some textiles, you are almost guaranteed to need a new jacket after a slide with mesh. It really is impressive to see how high tech materials have increased protection over time.

Just keep in mind that mesh is only suitable for hot weather. Rain will go right through it. Personally, I have a mesh jacket for hot weather riding, and a textile jacket for waterproofing and cooler weather

#8 ·
There's full mesh (example: Taichi) and textile/mesh (example: S&S) jackets. Both you can upgrade the back, shoulder, and elbow protection to your liking, but textile/mesh offers slightly more abrasion resistance. I wear full mesh because of Florida humidity which you can fry eggs on the pavement. Whether I wear full mesh jacket or a white shirt, it's still hot as fuck in spring/summer/fall.

#10 ·
Based on all my research and everyone I talked to in the industry, everyone agrees as far as levels of protection, leather is the best, followed by textile. Mesh or kevlar denim don't even come close. Plus if you go down, you'll have to replace mesh as it will be shredded. Most of the people I ride with wear perforated leather because we all agree with the saying "I'd rather sweat than bleed" :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.