Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if anyone has used this method to keep their bike in the air to remove the rear shock? I don’t have any good way to suspend it from the rear subframe/ceiling.
I have heard people suggesting to flip the footpegs upside down and put a jack stand under each side just not sure if it works and is stable?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I did but I have fixed aftermarket rearsets. Alternatively you could use a ratcheting tow strap if you can loop it or anchor it above the bike. You do not need to lift it just put tension on it so it does not collapse. Make sure the front is on a stand or in a chock and bearing weight.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, so I can use my front triple tree stand, and lower the rear down onto jack stands (with the pegs upside down so they dont flip up) and thats stable enough?
Sadly I don’t have any real way to anchor a strap over my bike, the rafters in my shop are not that sturdy and I wouldn’t trust it. Also don’t feel like using a step ladder and having to work around that all day. I plan to remove all the linkage and swingarm to inspect clean and re-grease what bearings I can while I’m at it. Shock should be here tomorrow and I’ll drop it off to my buddy for some fresh oil and nitrogen. Hopefully the seals are good and no pitting on the shaft.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have used stands under the foot pegs to change the rear shock, works very well. Also you can put a small scissor jack on the top of the rear tire, and lift the tail section up from undebreath. Of course a 1x6 short length of wood or similar on top of the jack to not scratch/damage the underside.

Either way will unload the rear shock.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heck yeah thanks man! Got my shock in the mail. Picked up a gem for $50, not as cheap as they used to be but still a good deal for shock upgrade. I plan to test the shock on my bike before sending it to Traxxion Dynamics for a full rebuild. For one I want to be sure I get it modified correctly and it fits as it should. It would suck to pay $250 to get it rebuilt and then screw it up when I’m trying to modify it lol. Also want to be sure the spring thats on it fits me and if not I’ll get one and send it with the shock to traxxion. I hear it is the same rate as the 300 spring so if that is the case I should be fine.
Grabbed some Ninja 500 dogbones as well to raise the rear if needed. They are 10mm shorter than the stock 300 dogbones and should raise the back about an inch if I remember correct.
Wood Audio equipment Auto part Gas Shock absorber

1 - 5 of 5 Posts