Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Help- Issues with Powercommander PCV

I'm wondering anyone ran into this same issue. I installed my PowerCommander PCV and exhaust and loaded the map for TBR full exhaust and started it up. It starts fine and idles perfect for about 5-8 seconds then shuts off. If I try to start it again it won't crank over and run. if I turn the key off and back on again then try to start it, it will run for a few seconds again that start the cycle above all over. Any thoughts on what's wrong? I checked the connections for the PCV and its fine, and checked to make sure the fuel lines weren't pinched and they are ok too.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
618 Posts
Check that you have the injector plugs on the right sides. They can't be swapped.

Plug the powercommander into your laptop and see if it reads there's a fault.

Make sure the light is green on the powercommander.

Turn up your idle. The bike idles different with map changes.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Delete the two brothers map and put all 0 in everybox. This makes no changes so the bike runs stock. See if it happens.

My guess is that you reversed the injector plugs.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried all you suggested Bigwood but none of that helps. Just on a hunch I plugged the stock coil wires together leaving the PCV unplugged from the coils and the bike idled fine. I looked at the ignition map and it doesn't have any adjustments so I'm wondering if its a wiring issue or something.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
best way to prove it is completely disconnect the PC5 & put back back to stock wiring & try bike.

then leave all fairing off & try & reconnect it & see what happens. pay very good attention to where it all plugs in to.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Go into the power commander settings and reset to default. I can't think of anything else. Did you turn the bike on while pluged into the pc? You should get readings of rpm etc

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've unplugged the bike and removed the PCV. It runs fine while stock so its either the map or the PCV from what I think. I'll call PowerCommander on Monday to see what they say.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Go into the power commander settings and reset to default. I can't think of anything else. Did you turn the bike on while pluged into the pc? You should get readings of rpm etc
I was able to see the rpms and all the info on my laptop. I tried swapping coil plugs and injector plugs and it still kept dying about five seconds after it started. I unplugged it all and started over in case I missed something but nothing helped. I wanted to go for a ride with friends this weekend so put it back to stock and it runs ok now. Ill put it back on next weekend after seeing what I can find out.

·
Registered
75 Posts
To Ninja Baker

First Off, I had the SAME EXACT Issue as you did. I have the Two Brothers Full Exhaust Black Series and the PCV with the Full map from Power Commander with also the Ignition Map.

The Problem is definitely a BAD PCV and it was the Ignition Part in this Module that FAILED. Call them first let them know and then send it back to them to get a NEW Module. This is not the first time that this has happened with the Ninja 300 Module PCV. I had that same issue. Just run it stock until you get a new one back from them. Some of these Modules were BAD. And sorry to hear about all of the HASSLE.... But Power Commander needs to make this RIGHT! The Fuel Injection part is Okay but the IGNITION function in this is BAD! No need to tear down your Bike any further. Just thought this would save you a bunch of Mega Hassle!

Ninja300 Stealth

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Stealth, I appreciate the input. I will hit up Dynojet on Monday and update this thread with their response to help anyone who has this problem in the future. I've read they have good customer support so I have faith they'll make it right. After thinking it over last night I was sure the unit was bad. There is no adjustment to the ignition tables in the start up and idle range so I pretty much eliminated a bad map. I even checked the firmware and software to ensure it was current. Well at least I'm well versed on how to install and uninstall a full exhaust and PCV in the 300 now. :D

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: I talked to Dynojet just now and the tech initially though it was a fuel problem, but when I explained that the bike ran fine with the stock ecu alone controlling the coils he was puzzled. He said if the PCV was having issues running the coils it typically would not start at all. I informed him that Ninja300 Stealth had the same problem and got their PCV replaced and it fixed the problem, so they are having me send mine in for diagnostics.

The issues with my PCV aside I was pleased that Dynojet's customer service is concerned with issues a customer has and are quick to try and resolve it. I'll be sure to update the thread once I hear back from them.

Also the tech said normally they will help the customer try things on the bike over the phone to resolve issues, but since I took mine off already sending it in was easier. If anyone has PowerCommander issues I would suggest leaving it hooked up so they can test it while its on the bike. The issue is they are only open Monday-Friday during normal business hours so it you work during the week it may be difficult to do that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Replacing Modules

To Ninja Baker:>>>>> If the PCV is installed (correctly) and it runs for 5 seconds then it shuts down. Then there is "NO NEED" to leave it on the bike for testing or whatever. It needs to be "REMOVED and sent back and replaced".... (BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT)... I went through this same process and a lot of hassle and when a part like this goes bad. Its Bad for everybody. But when something new comes out like the first of new products. Problems even have to be ironed out!... Not all of these Modules are bad from Power Commander and they will stand by their products. I am sure that even Area P has at one time or another has had some BAD products that has gone out the door too.... NOT GOOD.................!

Even the Ninja 300 itself has a "PROBLEM"......... Stalling out and many are and are doing so... Check out "ALL THE POSTS" on the Stalling out Issues... NOT GOOD.................................! Because of the Lean Mapping. A lot of people are having to go with Fuel Modules to Cure the Lean Problems with this Bike period. And unfortunately some of the newest Modules that PCV and or Area P which has with the Ignition Advance capabilities are having some "GLITCHES".... Just like the Bike itself is BAD TOO.......! Right from the Factory... But that is what we are stuck with and things have to be "Worked Out"!

I am just sharing this to maybe save some other Ninja 300 owners some Mega Grief and Hassles to fix and upgrade this particular Bike.

Thanks

Ninja300 Stealth

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
To Ninja Baker:>>>>> If the PCV is installed (correctly) and it runs for 5 seconds then it shuts down. Then there is "NO NEED" to leave it on the bike for testing or whatever. It needs to be "REMOVED and sent back and replaced".... (BEEN THERE AND DONE THAT)... I went through this same process and a lot of hassle and when a part like this goes bad. Its Bad for everybody. But when something new comes out like the first of new products. Problems even have to be ironed out!... Not all of these Modules are bad from Power Commander and they will stand by their products. I am sure that even Area P has at one time or another has had some BAD products that has gone out the door too.... NOT GOOD.................!

Even the Ninja 300 itself has a "PROBLEM"......... Stalling out and many are and are doing so... Check out "ALL THE POSTS" on the Stalling out Issues... NOT GOOD.................................! Because of the Lean Mapping. A lot of people are having to go with Fuel Modules to Cure the Lean Problems with this Bike period. And unfortunately some of the newest Modules that PCV and or Area P which has with the Ignition Advance capabilities are having some "GLITCHES".... Just like the Bike itself is BAD TOO.......! Right from the Factory... But that is what we are stuck with and things have to be "Worked Out"!

I am just sharing this to maybe save some other Ninja 300 owners some Mega Grief and Hassles to fix and upgrade this particular Bike.

Thanks

Ninja300 Stealth
Wow that's a lot of caps and exclamations in your reply. I'm just sharing what Dynojet told me in case others run into this same issue. It may be beneficial to have the bike and PCV together still to see if they can help over the phone. As I said in my reply the PCV is going back to Dynojet for diagnostics. I didn't respond to Jeffandrachael's comment because I don't do the whole brand wars thing. I know that both Area P and PowerCommander are good products, I just chose the PCV because of its extra features. And I know that Dynojet will help iron out the issues. I'm completely content dealing with things like this as I know they happen with a new platform.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts