Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's a video taken of my bike's tachometer and how the RPMs jump in idle. I've alluded to this a couple of times in other threads, but it's difficult to describe with words.

http://youtu.be/LkTlSyT_sLM

Warning: Turn down your speakers/headphones before starting

·
Registered
523 Posts
Try adjusting your idle down and see if it still happens; your bike should not be idling anywhere near 2500 RPM in neutral (1250-1350 RPM is recommended in the owner's manual).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This only happens after a 30-60 minute ride. I do enjoy the occasional (ok... maybe frequent) push of the throttle though.

Also keep in mind I'm only 230km into the bike (which is like... less than 150 miles). Do you think it will get back to normal with time? (ie too soon to tell if there is an issue).

Also, about the idle adjusting knob, what is it exactly? I checked behind the left fairing and felt what seemed to be a round knob with smooth round bumps. Is that it? I didn't see any change in the idle when I played around with it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh dear.. What a hassle. I've adjusted it to 1500 RPM idle for now. I'm going to take it for a ride to try and simulate the usual strain I put on the engine and see if it does it again.

The problem with bringing it in is that they wouldn't see this happening unless they took it for a ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Banned
613 Posts
I also noticed your neutral light is turning on and off? Was that you or was that just the bike doing it thing?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had similar issue. My idle speed was 2k and it was dropping 100-200 rpm and then back up. Took it to dealer for 600 miles service. I told the issue to mechanic. He said that that idle/throttle needs adjustments. My idle now is 1.2k. And rpm do not drop and go back anymore.

Never had an issue with neutral light though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
The reason I put it in neutral is to demonstrate that the RPM jumping only occurs when in gear. If you look closely you'll notice it doesn't do it in neutral. Didn't know if it was useful information or not.

Anyways, I adjusted the idle throttle to 1500 RPM. I went for a ride to see how it would behave afterwards. When I got back, the idle was at about 1600 RPM without any of the usual jumping.

Here's a vid of the RPM after the adjustment:
http://youtu.be/lwAWggZI6d0

I hope this is a fixed issue. If the issue resurfaces I'll just take it in.

Thanks for the replies!

Oh, one more thing... I put some thought into it, and realized perhaps the dealer increased the idle RPM to begin with because he knew I was a first time rider. With a high idle RPM, the bike picks up first gear more easily and is less likely to stall. OR he knew about the "stall" issues of this bike and wanted to run around the bush in advance (less likely, the bike is too new). In any case, I'm glad the idle was adjusted to Kawi specs. This way I can see if there are any problems at normal idle.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
let us know how you go at the dealer, but the bike is "hunting" idle & this is *FAR* from normal.later today i will get my bike out & video it as i turn it on & it warms up so you can see what it should do. its 6.37am now & i dont want to annoy my neighbours,lol

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
let us know how you go at the dealer, but the bike is "hunting" idle & this is *FAR* from normal.later today i will get my bike out & video it as i turn it on & it warms up so you can see what it should do. its 6.37am now & i dont want to annoy my neighbours,lol
Thanks man. It only happens after prolonged use though. 100% of the time when I go to turn it on for the first time of the day, it does not hunt idle. Only after 15+ mins of hard riding (lol).

I'm hoping it was just because of a high idle so I adjusted it down and it seems to work so far.

Fingers crossed.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Check for free play at the throttle, be sure the locking ring on the cable is locking it too. It needs a few mm of play at every bar position, so turn the bars and check it at every point.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Check for free play at the throttle, be sure the locking ring on the cable is locking it too. It needs a few mm of play at every bar position, so turn the bars and check it at every point.
Good call. I shall do this inspection at the next opportunity. Thanks man!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts