Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! I’m new to motorcycles but have always wanted one and I’ve heard that the ninja 300 is a good starter bike and I found one on offer up that has some issues but has a good price. I am mechanically inclined on cars but not motorcycles but a buddy of mine a while back told me they’re kind of the same thing imma put the images and hope to hear you’re opinions thanks!
A3A2419C-E743-48BE-8B5A-19CF524ED70F.png
0FF60EB3-0564-4758-9222-5EAEED8814F0.png

·
Registered
552 Posts
Hi there! I’m new to motorcycles but have always wanted one and I’ve heard that the ninja 300 is a good starter bike and I found one on offer up that has some issues but has a good price.
Welcome to the forum. The Ninja 300 is an excellent bike, and a great starter bike indeed!

As far as that linked 'bike' is concerned:
Do you want to ride a bike now, or fix one/repair one for the next year?
Sorry, that bike is "too far gone" to be made rideable anytime soon, and I wouldn't be surprised if you'd end up spending MORE money on getting it going than what a decent-condition one would set you back right now. That's not even counting the TIME that you'd need to invest.
The seller is at least honest enough to list it as: "Not working; for parts only".

This bike is NOT a good deal, and the price is NOT good, if you are considering making it street-worthy. This will ultimately be bought by someone who will want it for the engine, and some other parts, NOT someone who will fix it up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
run far away from this bike and don't look back...lots of 300's available out there in good running condition. spend a little more and get a LOT more bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys!! I have no rush but I will be looking for something better and worth it since I am new to bikes is there anything I should be looking out for when searching For bikes?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's hard if it's your first. Find a friend who rides if you can when looking at your first bike. That way, that person can know what a clutch lever is supposed to feel like, what a shifter is supposed to feel like, and generally what an engine is supposed to sound like.

300 was my first bike as well. I have experience as a mechanic prior to riding, so that helped. I knew the guy who sold it to me too, a friend. I actually helped him work on it when he owned it, so I already had the chance to peek under the hood before buying it. Most honest purchase I've ever made for a used vehicle, but obviously not everyone gets that chance.

I'd try to have your friend with you press the seller for a test ride, whatever it takes. Cash on hand, deposit, whatever. That way, if 5th gear is trashed, you'll know to get away from that guy as fast as you can.

Get something with scratches, but little or zero mechanical problems other than general wear. Scratches, so you won't feel bad dropping it.

My biggest piece of advice is the buddy who rides to go with you. Don't skip that. Find someone if you have to. That weird uncle, a guy from work, someone you knew from school back in the day, ect. Not every rider has experience fixing and working on bikes, but just about every rider has experience buying bikes and bike parts/repairs, so it'll help keep you from getting screwed.

Good luck.
-Mike

·
Registered
293 Posts
good advice from Sparky..but if you're like me and you didn't know anyone who rides, what do you do? (I now know a few who ride, but didn't when I purchased my bike).

I would personally start by looking for a clean bike. It's amazing how many craigslist/facebook ads show a filthy bike for sale. If they can't be bothered to clean it up for the 'for sale' picture what else didn't they do?

then I'd look at the basic maintenance items..is the oil full and clean? .is chain clean and lubed? Is the air filter clean? Ask them what tire pressure they run. (are the tires aired up?) Is the brake fluid clean? when did they change the coolant?

Better than asking 'did you do X?' ....might be better to ask what their chain maintenance routine is? How about air filter routine? what oil change schedule do they follow? What kind of filter do they use? (can you tell I'm in sales, haha?)

Asking 'when and how' they did something is more telling than merely asking 'if' they did something.

The first bike I looked at was a 4 year old bike that was low on oil, had a rusty chain and had never had any other fluids changed on it (brake or coolant). I walked.

These bikes are kind of like a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla of the car world...well built and will run a long time if maintained. Lots of them out there so look for a clean, well maintained example.

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
I wouldn't even buy that bike for the engine. Who knows how much internal damage will pop up right after you drag it home. That poor thing looks like it has been crashed hard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts