Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Greenish, right? There is a type of oil that is green. I think is Ester based oil.
I believe that the green tint in the pictures is from the flash on the camera reflecting off the green fairings. The color just seems desaturated to me, but I'm used to car oil and am not sure how used motorcycle oil is supposed to look like.

I just changed the oil and oil filter and will keep an eye on it(picture attached below). I also poured the oil into a jar to see if any liquid separates from the oil.

I'll ask the previous owner which oil he used.

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
It's probably fine, I feel like the camera has made it look a bit off. If there is contamination getting into your oil, you will know. You want to watch out for milky, off-white oil. If the oil is super dark brown or lighter, you're probably fine. Also watch for metal shavings, typically seen after you dump out the dirty oil from your catch pan.

If you had a blown head gasket or a lot of condensation inside your crankcase (and thus in the oil) it would be more obvious. Just change your oil when you think your shifting gets rough, the color gets super dark, and if you're running full synthetic, no later than 4-5000 miles. I usually do oil changes on any bike every 3-4 thousand miles to be safe.

-Mike

·
Registered
654 Posts
If it was coolant in the oil, it would look more like milk than oil.

Probably some amount of moisture in it that's making it that color, but as noted, oils differ in color.

That amount of moisture is common for anyone that starts their engine up during storage to "warm it up" or takes short trips.

When run at operating temp, for a length of time, moisture will burn-off along with other contaminants like unburned fuel from cold starts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If it was coolant in the oil, it would look more like milk than oil.

Probably some amount of moisture in it that's making it that color, but as noted, oils differ in color.

That amount of moisture is common for anyone that starts their engine up during storage to "warm it up" or takes short trips.

When run at operating temp, for a length of time, moisture will burn-off along with other contaminants like unburned fuel from cold starts.
Previous owner used Valvoline 10w-40 full synthetic when he got the bike 3 months ago. He has put about 3,000 miles on the bike using it as his only form of transportation.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Previous owner used Valvoline 10w-40 full synthetic when he got the bike 3 months ago. He has put about 3,000 miles on the bike using it as his only form of transportation.
That is good - as long as it's the cycle and not the auto oil.

If you need an alternative to a cycle-specific oil, a diesel oil like Rotella T6 is a safe choice. Current auto oils lack adequate amounts of the specific additives you need for a cycle engine having solid lifters.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts