Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi every one. It's been couple of months sice I posted something here but I am watching all threads and comments on regular basis and learned many things from all of you.

My 300 is still under 500 miles and I am a beginner so I don't have enough experience, and I have couple of questions to all of you based on what I learned so far.

I live in Chicago and its a Windy City and I have to do lot of effort to make control on my bike and because of that I don't enjoy my ride. Is this normal?

Sometimes my speed is just 40mph and I have to do lot of effort. Do you guys think its normal because it has small engine and it will be resolved if I buy a bigger bike like 650 or 1000cc?

my Last question. It sounds so stupid but let me explain. My head shakes a lot when putting helmet on, and I can't move my head left or right because of wind even riding under 40mph. I have to see straight ahead which is really annoying. I see other bikers on the road riding bigger bikes so comfortably. Wy is that?
Should I upgrade?

Please share your experience regarding the above situation I have..

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Loosen up on the controls when riding. It's why you feel that you are fighting the bike so hard. Your stiff arms are imputing small steering commands each time your upper body gets buffeted. Also if you seem to be having a hard time in wind, lower your body posture a bit. The taller you sit, the greater effect the wind will have on you. You're like a large lever so the taller you are and the higher the bike's CG, the more effective the wind will be in pushing you around. As far as the helmet is concerned, you're just not used to having your head in an air stream yet. I used to have my head out in 120+mph air streams and it takes a lot more muscle and focus to move your head around. You just need to get used to it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Yup, loosen up your arms and the bike will feel a bit easier to control.

Your neck will build up the necessary strength to deal with the wind pretty quickly. My first couple of times on the freeway were pretty uncomfortable too.

A bigger bike isn't the answer to your issues: they're really mostly just posture, confidence, and time riding.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
208 Posts
i've been only riding on good days, last night i decided to take a ride on a cold night with alittle wind. i can tell you that the bike is alittle harder to control due to the weight. its a good challenge when riding in windy conditions. all i can advise is youtube videos so you understand then practice.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmmm, So basically I need more practice. I hold the handle bars very tight other wise I fee that wind will blow me off :) I will try to loosened it. also I thought if I have a bigger bike, I can handle it more easily because of the weight. Is this correct or people upgrade thier bike just for more speed?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Is your helmet fitted right? A good fit helmet doesn't move when you turn to look, even at freeway speed.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
506 Posts
A bigger bike is the LAST thing you need.

If you're being blown around by the wind, use your steering to keep yourself on the straight and narrow.

Your helmet may not be fitted correctly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I hold the handle bars very tight other wise I fee that wind will blow me off :)
You should be holding on to the bike with pressure from your thighs. Check out the cornering bible videos on youtube aka twist of the wrist two. Also check out the twist of the wrist books as well as Total Control by lee sparks. A bigger bike/ more speed is not the solution. More knowledge and practice is the answer. you probably weren't very comfortable driving a car after your first 500 miles.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hold on to the tank with your thighs, lightly grip the controls. Seriously a loose grip, I find the looser my grip the better my control and the less effort it takes resulting in being less sore.

I rode in 30mph winds the other day at highway speeds without much trouble. You'll get more comfortable with it and eventually you won't think anything of it.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I would say I feel like I get blown around A TON more on my 300 than my 600. I rode back on a windy day a few months ago and I had to lean a noticeable amount to continue going straight even when going 75-80 mph. I never experienced that at speed on 15k miles put on my 600.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a lot all, I will try the techniques and check out the YouTube videos as well. You guys are the best.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I found that installing techspec gripster c3's help a lot when it comes to relaxing with your upper body since you get a lot more grip when pressing your thighs against the tank.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
I found that installing techspec gripster c3's help a lot when it comes to relaxing with your upper body since you get a lot more grip when pressing your thighs against the tank.

i have never had any of these tank pads on my bike ever. i just imagine it is the most sexist woman i have had the pleasure of wrapping my legs over & hold on for a good time!:D

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
I live in Chicago and its a Windy City and I have to do lot of effort to make control on my bike and because of that I don't enjoy my ride. Is this normal?
Yes, riding in wind does take more effort to keep the bike steady. Some people get used to it, while others never do.

Do you guys think its normal because it has small engine and it will be resolved if I buy a bigger bike like 650 or 1000cc?
A bigger engine doesn't really mean it will handle wind better. I've seen big cruisers get tossed around in the wind. A heavier bike is not as easily tossed in the wind but it still happens to matter the engine size.

my Last question. It sounds so stupid but let me explain. My head shakes a lot when putting helmet on, and I can't move my head left or right because of wind even riding under 40mph. I have to see straight ahead which is really annoying. I see other bikers on the road riding bigger bikes so comfortably. Wy is that?
That is commonly referred to as bobble head. For more visibility, scoot back on the seat until you feel the pillion and lower your torso so that the wind coming up the windscreen will blow right over your head and you'll have full range of motion to see all around you and straight ahead.
If it's really a problem get a higher windscreen or double bubble screen.

Should I upgrade?
You should get some more experience before upgrading. A Ninja650 will still get tossed around in the wind. Same problem different bike. Experience will elp you build muscle memory and reflexes that will make riding in the wind more manageable.

Please share your experience regarding the above situation I have..
I rode in terrible wind yesterday on the freeway at speeds between 65MPH and 90MPH. I did not enjoy the ride at all. Passing trucks and other large vehicles was a pain. I managed OK just chalked it up to riding. That's how it is. Get low and go!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Those aren't as big and noticeable as others I've seen.. btw you're bike's naughty bits are showing.. Lol.

I am a super newbie to bikes .. my bf bought the 300 for me for christmas, so to ride it i had to have frame sliders and no plastics to prove i wasn't going to drop it. they went back on later that day lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts