Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully picking up a ninja 300 next weekend, but I have yet to decide on color. At first I thought for sure I was going to get red, but after seeing the black in the show room I have to reconsider because it's pretty damn sexy. My question is though, do you think it's more dangerous to ride a black bike because you would be easier to miss in peoples rear view or side mirrors compared to red, or black and green?

What color do you think is sexier?

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
That said my bike is black but my jackets are light vibrate colors. Creates a stark contrast and I am wider by far than my bike

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have always had a tough time accepting this.. With my personal experience as a cager, bikes are noticeable by the noise they produce (which can be intensified by pulling the clutch in and revving as you are cruising in whichever gear you are in) and their headlights...

All of our models are equipped with reflectors (some members chose to removed this feature to suit their taste in style) and headlights (low beam on the right and high beam on the left).

If it was night time and you really liked the black color... Then purchase reflective or a light colored gear. :) Just my thoughts... I also have the Black Ninja 300. My leather jacket has plenty of white in it for visibility..

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
155 Posts
When I bought my first bike, a 2009 Ninja 250, I chose red over black because I wanted to be seen better by cars.

Since then I have determined that no matter what bright color your bike is, what attention-getting color your jacket is, or what crazy design your helmet has, even with your brights on, cars/cagers will look right at you and still never see you.

IMO, get the color bike you really want.

The next bike I bought was black.

·
Banned
196 Posts
When I bought my first bike, a 2009 Ninja 250, I chose red over black because I wanted to be seen better by cars.

Since then I have determined that no matter what bright color your bike is, what attention-getting color your jacket is, or what crazy design your helmet has, even with your brights on, cars/cagers will look right at you and still never see you.

IMO, get the color bike you really want.

The next bike I bought was black.
I disagree. There are many times that people wanted to pull out in front of me but stopped because they saw my hi viz jacket (basically did a double take). Im not saying it will prevent all accidents but it does make a difference.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I disagree. There are many times that people wanted to pull out in front of me but stopped because they saw my hi viz jacket (basically did a double take). Im not saying it will prevent all accidents but it does make a difference.
I agree, every little bit counts. But not as much as I thought it did when I started riding.

Looking at any bike from the front, how much of its color do you really see?

IMO, defensive riding plays a more important roll in safe riding then depending on cagers to see you.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Did you stop and ask them what made them look once more? It may have been they noticed a motorcycle not what you had on. Now I do think setting at a stop light with a hi viz jacket on helps as the car lights reflect off it making it brighter.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Black is about 40% less visible than white. Also consider that the part of you that is seen the most in traffic is your helmet, it's the highest part of you (and your bike) and can be seen in traffic when your in between cars. I think you should do everything possible to make yourself more visible, riding is dangerous enough.

Reactions: Mustapha

·
Banned
196 Posts
I agree, every little bit counts. But not as much as I thought it did when I started riding.

IMO, defensive riding plays a more important roll in safe riding then depending on cagers to see you.
That why I wear a high viz jacket, so they can see that since the white on the front of the bike probably wont be noticed.

·
Banned
196 Posts
Did you stop and ask them what made them look once more? It may have been they noticed a motorcycle not what you had on. Now I do think setting at a stop light with a hi viz jacket on helps as the car lights reflect off it making it brighter.
Wow, really? If you saw a bright neon jacket coming down the road at 50mph you would take notice. See a person with one on and you will get it!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I ride in stealth black bike black jacket and black helmet.

No close calls so far as you cant miss the lights on the 300 but i think ill be a little smarter next time I'm buying gear.

·
Registered
155 Posts
That why I wear a high viz jacket, so they can see that...
If you saw a bright neon jacket coming down the road at 50mph you would take notice. See a person with one on and you will get it!
I'm just shaking my head. With your mindset, it sounds like you think you're invinciable from being hit while wearing that jacket. I don't like to say it, but you're on the path to learning the hard way.

I'll say it again...

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I ride in stealth black bike black jacket and black helmet.

No close calls so far as you cant miss the lights on the 300 but i think ill be a little smarter next time I'm buying gear.
Exactly the same, with only a reflective stripe across the chest and back of my black leather M2R jacket. I do have some white on my helmet, it is a Shoei Diabolic Feud TC5.

But yes next time, I will definitely be getting a higher visibility jacket and helmet. White as a minimum.

I cant even see my own reflection in windows when I ride past I am that stealth :rolleyes:

·
Registered
420 Posts

In case you missed it.

It comes back to the whole "ride like everyone's out to kill you".

Keep an eye on there mirrors. If you can't see them in their mirror, they can't see you. And they will make little attempt to find you.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In case you missed it.

It comes back to the whole "ride like everyone's out to kill you".

Keep an eye on there mirrors. If you can't see them in their mirror, they can't see you. And they will make little attempt to find you.
100% agree, hi-vis may help.. but you can't put all your faith in cagers noticing your gear. MSF teaches you the ability to ride for survival, so use the lessons.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't think the color of your bike makes it more or less visible. When I'm in a car, the way i know a motorcycle is near is the noise first, then the single headlight second.
Everyone around here rides with their high beams on 24/7. It's quite obnoxious and annoying but at least the people in cars know they are there.

I can't tell the color of a bike looking in my mirrors. I can't see what colors the rider is wearing looking in my mirrors. I can see that bright ass high beam near blinding me as it approaches.

The general thought is cars in front will see your beams, cars in back will hear your screams. All the more reason to get after market exhaust. Screams don't come stock!

·
Banned
196 Posts
I'm just shaking my head. With your mindset, it sounds like you think you're invincible from being hit while wearing that jacket. I don't like to say it, but you're on the path to learning the hard way.

I'll say it again...
I don't believe that wearing a hi viz jacket makes it impossible for me to be involved in an accident while Im on my bike. There are many things I do to be safe on a motorcycle, wearing hi viz is simply one of them. I believe wearing hi viz helps keep me safe but I also have to look and expect danger at all times.

So you don't like to say it, huh........Im more worried people who think wearing all black on a motorcycle is ok or the ones who wear little to no gear. So you can believe anything you want about me based on my comments but you don't know me or how I ride.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts