Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have the SSR Preload Adjusters and have been wanting to install them after putting on the Woodcraft Clip Ons. Problem is, I have a front fork stand and I don't think I'm suppose to use those. I need something that lifts my bike from the body.

It says in the instruction to compress the fork cap but it won't even budge and if I press it really hard with all my weight, it goes in maybe 1mm and comes back up immediately. Can anyone give me advice or tips on doing this? I need to get the C ring out but to do that, I need to compress the fork cap... apparently others did it with no problem.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I recently installed BIKERS preload adjusters to the bike and was simple.

you will need a front triple tree stand to lift the bike so the fork springs arent compressed, so youll have an easier time popping out the stock fork caps off.

if you dont, youll have a hard time getting those stock caps off and even if you do, and manage to take the c ring off, be careful. those stock caps will shoot out.

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=48469

a good DIY installing ssr preload adjusters for the ninja 250. its the same for installing it on a ninja 300 but you may have to be a member to view the pictures.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Nice writeup, except it leaves me with a tremendous urge to correct all the remedial spelling-errors. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

you will need a front triple tree stand to lift the bike so the fork springs arent compressed, so youll have an easier time popping out the stock fork caps off.

if you dont, youll have a hard time getting those stock caps off and even if you do, and manage to take the c ring off, be careful. those stock caps will shoot out.

a good DIY installing ssr preload adjusters for the ninja 250. its the same for installing it on a ninja 300 but you may have to be a member to view the pictures.

Thanks mate :) I am going to see if I can lift my bike without pushing against the forks. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice writeup, except it leaves me with a tremendous urge to correct all the remedial spelling-errors. :D
Hey Spacep0d! I didn't know you were on here. This is mloe365 (mylifeonearth365) from YouTube. Thanks so much for the help with clip on install :) I posted a installation tutorial on YouTube for the woodcraft clip ons. I mentioned you in it and put a link to your channel! You were a big help!

Reactions: Spacep0d

·
Registered
463 Posts

like the article says, if you lift the front with a triple tree stand and not a fork front stand, you can install the preloads caps with no problems since there is not pressure on the forks, the other is lifting the bike from the middle but not advisable since when you put pressure on the caps the bike can topple forward, other is take the forks out, but that is just to much work imo just to put the caps

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the adjusters installed now! YAY! Also I'm 183 lbs. Anyone know roughly how many rings I should adjust to?

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have the adjusters installed now! YAY! Also I'm 183 lbs. Anyone know roughly how many rings I should adjust to?
measure the bike sag, and ur body sag, youtube it, is not that dificult
but dont expect to fine tune it , since you can do so little with what we got on our bikes
Street bikes run between 25 and 33 percent of their total travel, which equates to 30 to 35mm.
if you could get it to those numbers it would be sweet

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
measure the bike sag, and ur body sag, youtube it, is not that dificult
but dont expect to fine tune it , since you can do so little with what we got on our bikes
Street bikes run between 25 and 33 percent of their total travel, which equates to 30 to 35mm.
if you could get it to those numbers it would be sweet
awesome! Thanks man!

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Hey Spacep0d! I didn't know you were on here. This is mloe365 (mylifeonearth365) from YouTube. Thanks so much for the help with clip on install :) I posted a installation tutorial on YouTube for the woodcraft clip ons. I mentioned you in it and put a link to your channel! You were a big help!
You're welcome Jin! You did a nice job with it! I laughed when I heard you saying 'it works!' when you tried the compressed-air trick for removing the grips. Nice job using the little canister. Doesn't take much to remove the grips when you use air.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Way to go. I'll be doing this mod in the near-future as well. :D

Also, when you get sag measured you need a knowledgeable person helping you. You don't generally measure and set sag by yourself. Either have a friend (who knows how to do it) help you, or have it done by a mechanic who knows how to do it and can take measurements with you on the bike in full gear.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Way to go. I'll be doing this mod in the near-future as well. :D

Also, when you get sag measured you need a knowledgeable person helping you. You don't generally measure and set sag by yourself. Either have a friend (who knows how to do it) help you, or have it done by a mechanic who knows how to do it and can take measurements with you on the bike in full gear.
haha thanks man :) I think I'll take it in to my mechanic and have him help me out :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is my quick video on what the parts look like when you take out the fork caps.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't want to disappoint you but does not matter.
Screw it all the way in & you will see they are still mushy

Try hold the front brake & compress before & after & you will see they really do nothing noticeable. I weigh less than you & cranked them all the way down right off
But they do look better than the stock caps ;)

I do think if you went with the Race Tech or some brand of good proper
springs & maybe valve emulators then these would have an effect.
So maybe good down the road.

Also a good read...
http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How They Work

·
Registered
463 Posts
I don't want to disappoint you but does not matter.
Screw it all the way in & you will see they are still mushy

Try hold the front brake & compress before & after & you will see they really do nothing noticeable. I weigh less than you & cranked them all the way down right off
But they do look better than the stock caps ;)

I do think if you went with the Race Tech or some brand of good proper
springs & maybe valve emulators then these would have an effect.
So maybe good down the road.

Also a good read...
http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators-How They Work
if i am not mistaken, old3 installed gold emulators, he didnt drill holes, change oil or springs, he just drop them down in there, and made a world of a diference

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if i am not mistaken, old3 installed gold emulators, he didnt drill holes, change oil or springs, he just drop them down in there, and made a world of a diference
You mean a valve cartridge emulator?

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
463 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Best place to start is with some nice springs
Rach Tech & others have a calculator on their site for your weight riding type etc.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts