Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Installed New Tires. 120/70 & 160/60 Continentals. Pictures!!

13K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  mj300noob 
#1 ·
Installed new tires on my bike last week. Not looking to start a debate on what tire size is better. This is the size I wanted to go with for my bike. Personally for my type of riding, I think they are great. I just wanted to make this post with some pictures as when I was looking for information on this tire size (fitment etc) I couldnt find anything.

Installed 120/70R17 and 160/60R17 Continental ContiMotions. Installed them myself. Didnt have any trouble.

See less See more
#3 ·
Looks great ... I had a 160 put on by mistake when having my tyres replaced ... the shop owner picked it up when he was finalising my bill ... he had a look but said the edges were distorted because the rim was pulling the tyre in too far ... so he replaced it with the 150 that I originally asked for ... mind you, the 160 did look good :eek:k:

is the tyre edge distorted on yours?

#6 ·
I had the 110/70R17 & 140/70R17 IRC RoadWinners. Installation was pretty easy. The tool you have I found to be to thick and makes it difficult. Plus you need more than 1. I use 3 of the spoons shown in the picture below as they are thin and work really wheel. The other 2 pieces are rim protectors that clip on the edge of the wheel so you do not scratch it. Other thing to consider is you need to balance the wheels after. I bought a product called dynabeads which you put inside the tires and they rotate with the tires to keep them balanced. No vibrations with mine so they seem to work good.

#14 ·
I use a Pit Posse Bead breaker. Works pretty good. Used it a lot when I was burning up race tires every 2 days on my 675R. It's not breaking my heart that a set of race tires lasts so long on the 300! Also, I favor Xtra Slik bead lube. With enough lube, you can do anything. :D

Attachments

#16 ·
Oh man, try some bead lube. A gallon of Extra Slik is only $12 at Autozone and works so much better than Windex. Give it a try.

Some people like No Mar lube paste, but it's $42 a gallon and it doesn't clean up well. It's essentially grease, while the Extra Slik stuff is closer to a soapy feel and can be washed off easy after you're done.

#17 ·
Oh man, try some bead lube. A gallon of Extra Slik is only $12 at Autozone and works so much better than Windex. Give it a try.

Some people like No Mar lube paste, but it's $42 a gallon and it doesn't clean up well. It's essentially grease, while the Extra Slik stuff is closer to a soapy feel and can be washed off easy after you're done.
I'm getting low on my No-Mar lube (it's actually vegetable-based) and might give the Extra Slik a try. Have you ever used RU Glyde? If so, how does it compare to the Extra Slik?

#18 ·
Installed new tires on my bike last week. Not looking to start a debate on what tire size is better. This is the size I wanted to go with for my bike. Personally for my type of riding, I think they are great. I just wanted to make this post with some pictures as when I was looking for information on this tire size (fitment etc) I couldnt find anything.

I know this is two years old but I’m glad I found this post. Everyone has said you can’t fit a 160 rear tire on a 300 when clearly you can. And what people don’t bother to tell you is that the chain cover is just plastic. Easily modified if need be to fit a 160 rear tire!!!

#19 ·
I have had 2 sets of 120/70 / 160/60 diablo rosso III's and I'm shopping for new tires now. dunlop, pirelli, something. My current tires have about 1" of chicken strips, so I can lean pretty good on the pirelli's, but I'm no racer and I haven't ever leaned so much to touch my knee or anything. Maybe on a track I'd try, but not on open road. My cousin is more aggressive than I and he also leans as much as he feels comfortable. He says the grip on my bike is good, but he doesn't know (on a bike with smaller tires than his bike) if he should lean more --- he didn't want to try and end up putting it down. But to me - compared to the stock tires in the beginning - I love the diablo rosso's. I love the grip. They feel softer and I feel more comfortable and confident leaning into turns. I shouldn't change what's working, but I've heard good things about Dunlop, so I may try a different brand of tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.