Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished grafting a gel pad into my seat. The difference is pretty amazing. Felt vibrations are almost completely eliminated and the seat is so much more comfortable.

Cost $80 ($50 for pad and $30 for pneumatic stapler) and took a total of about 2 hours.

One note. I was unable to penetrate (giggidy) the seat pan with a good quality manual stapler or with an electric one. For me at least a pneumatic stapler was required and made the job easy.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I just finished grafting a gel pad into my seat. The difference is pretty amazing. Felt vibrations are almost completely eliminated and the seat is so much more comfortable.

Cost $80 ($50 for pad and $30 for pneumatic stapler) and took a total of about 2 hours.

One note. I was unable to penetrate (giggidy) the seat pan with a good quality manual stapler or with an electric one. For me at least a pneumatic stapler was required and made the job easy.
:goodjob:

Your gel pad installation may work even better than the factory GEL seat, that I purchased and installed.

But as far as vibrations are concerned, I never felt any even with the original factory seat and definitely not with the new GEL seat.

My new GEL seat is somewhat more comfortable. But nothing to really brag about. Maybe I was just expecting a more cushy butt. :surprise:

But we all do have to admit that this is a SPORT bike and their is just not enough area /space to be adding a seat that would be many inches thicker of a material that would provide people with a very cushioned ride. :shrug.001:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think my bike is more vibey than some. I am planning on checking valves and adjusting the throttle bodies eventually to see if something is out of whack (already retorqued engine mounts.

I get almost not vibration under 7k. As soon as I hit 7k it gets pretty buzzy.

·
Super Moderator
2,535 Posts
My new GEL seat is somewhat more comfortable. But nothing to really brag about. Maybe I was just expecting a more cushy butt. :surprise:

But we all do have to admit that this is a SPORT bike and their is just not enough area /space to be adding a seat that would be many inches thicker of a material that would provide people with a very cushioned ride. :shrug.001:
When I do a 300+ mile ride, I’ve seriously thought about wearing those padded bicycle shorts under my gear.

·
Registered
549 Posts
When I do a 300+ mile ride, I’ve seriously thought about wearing those padded bicycle shorts under my gear.

Must admit that I have never thought of using padded bicycle shorts for a more comfortable ride. Sounds like a great idea.

But I am also thinking only because you have previously reported a short inseam and tippy toeing the bike. Don't you think that padded shorts might raise your seat height position and make it more difficult to plant your feet on the ground :question:
I realize that their is not that much padding in bicycle shorts, but it may be just enough to cause a problem for the shorter inseam riders. :shrug.001:

Remember, a bicycle does not have lowering links such as a Ninja. But, you can raise and lower the SEAT to compensate for inseam, peddle reach and placing feet on the ground.

Amazing how many factors come into play for such a simple subject. :dizzy:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wonder how thick the gel on the oem gel seat is. The pad I installed is 1" thick. I know a lot of them out there are more like 3/8".
I do have a pretty bony butt so I might notice more if a difference than sone would.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Must admit that I have never thought of using padded bicycle shorts for a more comfortable ride. Sounds like a great idea. <snip>

Hmm, that's a novel idea. I should try this also.
I haven't embarked on a long trip with the 300 [yet!], and have not found the stock seat to be uncomfortable, but for a long trip which I have planned, the bicycle shorts idea sounds like an easy way to potentially make the journey less of a pain-in-the-arse (literally!).
:emot-thumbsup:

·
Registered
549 Posts
I wonder how thick the gel on the oem gel seat is. The pad I installed is 1" thick. I know a lot of them out there are more like 3/8".
I do have a pretty bony butt so I might notice more if a difference than sone would.

The Kawasaki Factory GEL Seat is one inch thicker than the factory stock seat that comes on the bike.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah, well I definitely wouldnt want that. The last thing I need to to be sitting even higher on the bike and counteracting all my ergonomics efforts/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

·
Registered
549 Posts
Ah, well I definitely wouldnt want that. The last thing I need to to be sitting even higher on the bike and counteracting all my ergonomics efforts/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

One inch higher GEL seat is part of my reasoning to lower the rear of the bike.

Risers are helpful, but with a GEL seat that is one inch higher that stock, it neutralizes the risers. :emot-doh:

·
Registered
549 Posts
One thing about the factory GEL seat. Even though it is thicker than the stock factory seat, it is softer. I also feel that the rider is sitting deeper into the GEL seat thus providing a softer cushion, rather than sitting on top of the hard factory seat.:shrug.001:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts