Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to cover my front brake with two fingers and also use them to brake. But with two fingers, between the lever and the bar, I cant pull the front brake all the way, so basically I cant do a full brake. In case of emergency, I am sure I wont be able to switch to four fingers before I brake. Did some 100-0's with two, four and switching from two to four fingers while braking. Took 3,2 seconds with four fingers and 3,7 with two and switch. So is there a way to use all braking power without pulling the lever til the bar? Aftermarket levers?
How do you brake? Two or four fingers?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Personally I use 2 fingers and since I have small hands my other 2 fingers get in the way as well. I hope some seasoned riders or racers chime in.

I also am trying to learn how to simultaneously downshift (throttle blip) and squeeze the front brake at the same time but I just cant do it smoothly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I do 2 fingers. I did 4 fingers for about 6 months until I became confident enough to only use 2.

Alright I do have large hands/fingers (XL sized gloves), my adjustable leavers allow me to do 2 fingers.

Edit: I wasn't able to only use 2 fingers with the stock leavers as the clutch wouldn't pull all the way in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
114 Posts
I do 2 fingers. I did 4 fingers for about 6 months until I became confident enough to only use 2.

Alright I do have large hands/fingers (XL sized gloves), my adjustable leavers allow me to do 2 fingers.

Edit: I wasn't able to only use 2 fingers with the stock leavers as the clutch wouldn't pull all the way in.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I think this would be a good start, if you have larger hands. Get some adjustable levers, set them far out and that way you shouldn't have to pull the lever all the way in for the brakes to fully engage.

If you have smaller hands, this probably won't work. You won't be able to reach the brake lever. Not sure if just upgrading the brakes will work either as you still won't be fully engaging the brakes if you only pull the lever in half (?) way.

In either circumstance, good luck and I hope you find a solution. Personally, if you're really concerned about it and nothing works, just go back to 4 fingers :D

·
Registered
365 Posts
I was taught to use 4 because when sh*t hits the fan, you're likely to grab that damn brake with all 4 fingers instead of 2 unless your muscle memory is in good shape from a lot of seat time. There is no downside to using 4 fingers either because I can still downshift and throttle blip with just my palm on the throttle and 4 fingers on the brake

·
Registered
275 Posts
So is there a way to use all braking power without pulling the lever til the bar? Aftermarket levers?
How do you brake? Two or four fingers?

I use two fingers for braking. It was hard with the stock levers. I switched to aftermarket shorty levers.

·
Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
I have tiny hands (women's size small gloves for roomy comfort, XS if I want them to fit snug). I two finger brake and that's more than enough power to dip the nose while stopping on a dime and giving back change (slang for: it stops fast and hard) when I need to. I switched my brake lines to braided stainless steel and put on adjustable shorty levers. I keep my levers set on the setting that keeps them closest to the bars. It was impossible for me to pull in the brake without completely letting go of the throttle with the stock levers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts