Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding my 300 ABS since a week or two. I don't know what make people think I'm there to race it. From BMW, Audi to Accords. They all want to floor once the light goes green. Why is that? I'm wearing all racing gear or they see the bike and think it some gixxer kind :D

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
What I find when I am on a fast bike is that these same people give up quickly soon as you pull out ahead. I have put over 8000 miles on my Gixxer 1000 now, much of it in town and nobody has tried to race me for more than a few feet even though I would love for them to. All that happens is I rev my engine, they rev theirs, they start edging forward in anticipation of the light changing.... and the next thing they see is Gixxer tail pulling away from them so they slow right down again, then so do I. A big part of it is knowing exactly when the light is going to change and hit it hard. The combination of sound and speed shuts em right down. These same people when I'm on my Ninja 300 just get out ahead of me uncontested and then they slow down. You gotta pick your fights. Unless you can pull ahead easily it might even be dangerous trying to drag race. They could swerve over into your lane or rear end you or you could rear end them if they suddenly brake. The safest place to be is way behind or way in front.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
What I find when I am on a fast bike is that these same people give up quickly soon as you pull out ahead. I have put over 8000 miles on my Gixxer 1000 now, much of it in town and nobody has tried to race me for more than a few feet even though I would love for them to. All that happens is I rev my engine, they rev theirs, they start edging forward in anticipation of the light changing.... and the next thing they see is Gixxer tail pulling away from them so they slow right down again, then so do I. A big part of it is knowing exactly when the light is going to change and hit it hard. The combination of sound and speed shuts em right down. These same people when I'm on my Ninja 300 just get out ahead of me uncontested and then they slow down. You gotta pick your fights. Unless you can pull ahead easily it might even be dangerous trying to drag race. They could swerve over into your lane or rear end you or you could rear end them if they suddenly brake. The safest place to be is way behind or way in front.
LOL, I never try to race them. I go in my own pace not caring about those competitors. Yesterday a 50ish mid-life crisis hit bald man in his Audi RS5 tried it 2 times. I just ignored him.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Go into full tuck and take off slow.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I always laugh at those people. This guy in a truck today floored it when the light turned green. Then brake to turn at 200 yards down the road....I just cruise by at 40mph right after he slowed. Just wasted gas lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Reactions: GreenSmitten

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I always laugh at those people. This guy in a truck today floored it when the light turned green. Then brake to turn at 200 yards down the road....I just cruise by at 40mph right after he slowed. Just wasted gas lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
oh yea add one more from last Sunday, a girl in her VW Bug but pissed I passed her doing 49 and floored it after 200-300 yards flying past me :p

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I love when I'm just cruising along at an even pace and some guy keeps trying to go faster but gets stopped at lights behind lots of cars while I just keep going because I'll lane split/filter. It just makes me laugh because I'm not even trying to go fast and still come out ahead :D

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I've been riding my 300 ABS since a week or two. I don't know what make people think I'm there to race it. From BMW, Audi to Accords. They all want to floor once the light goes green. Why is that? I'm wearing all racing gear or they see the bike and think it some gixxer kind :D
I think it's because some people recognize your bike as a smaller-displacement, and think they have a shot. People almost never raced me on my Gixxer 750, but they might try with my Ninja 300.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My 46 lights a day are timed. Too fast you hit it red. Too slow you catch the yellow on the next cycle. There is always a few who blast past me, either at speed or from a light. Occasionally they get ahead one cycle, but that is very rare. Usually they just blast to the next red only to have me go past them at 45 MPH within seconds of the light changing green.
After driving and riding this route for the last 8 years. I know every light and pothole. Many times I catch a 10 second green left turn without stopping in a 1.5 minute cycle at a major intersection, after almost 12 miles.

The penalty for racing in Va. is confiscation of your vehicle. Seems to be a very effective deterrent, but then there is always the uneducated.

regards
Mech

1 - 13 of 13 Posts