Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tomorrow is day 1 of my MSF-BRC, and I am super excited. I originally planned to do it Saturday, and Sunday, but for some odd reason I decided to check the weather, and both days had a 60% chance of rain, so good thing I did not register. I switched it to Thursday, and Friday which is a 10% chance of rain, and won't interfere with my Uncle coming from NY.

I went to Wal-Mart today, and bought some bicycle gloves just for the course, and I plan to return them on Friday after the tests because I rather use that $20 towards real gloves.

These are the ones I bought.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bell-Sports-Shasta-Full-Finger-Bicycle-Glove-Small-Medium/10756477

They're actually pretty comfortable, and decent looking, but they're not motorcycle gloves and that is pretty much why they are going back after.

I bought some cool looking sunglasses from 7-11 for $6.99. I have work boots,jeans, and a long sleeve shirt, so I'll just go from there. I am pretty confident about this course. I am going to take my time, and learn slow. I've been on dirt bikes before a couple times, and I've rode a bicycle of course in my younger years, and I drive a manual transmission. I would assume I'm good to go. I am 25, so I plan to be mature about this whole process, and really soak in what I can, and make sure I pass first time around because I can't afford another course again so soon.

Assuming I pass come Friday, the next step is getting rid of my car as that is going to be the only thing holding me back. I am sure I am retarded for ditching my car for a bike, but since I was 20 or so, I developed this crazy fetish for bikes, mostly crotch rockets, and I would really love to experience the joy of owning and riding a motorcycle before I am at the age where I can no longer look cool on one :p

Do you guys recommend anything I should keep in mind while at the course, anything that may help me pass with flying colors. I am so excited, but a little nervous at the same time. This is a huge historical moment in my life, and something I'll probably remember forever, so I would like to do it the best I can.

Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At dusk do you return the sunglasses and buy new ones the next sunny day? :cool:
No the sunglasses are actually pretty cool, going to keep those, but I am planning on buying white sunglasses to match the bike. It's going to look so sexy.

·
Registered
523 Posts
For the course, just take you time with the exercises and don't try to do more than you've been asked to attempt. The instructors won't put up with people endangering themselves or the others on the course. Other than that, just don't get discouraged if you can't perform an exercise perfectly the first time.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For the course, just take you time with the exercises and don't try to do more than you've been asked to attempt. The instructors won't put up with people endangering themselves or the others on the course. Other than that, just don't get discouraged if you can't perform an exercise perfectly the first time.
Awesome,

Thanks!

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
FWIW, a pair of leather/suede style work gloves are just as good as many moto specific gloves. They are usually tan/brown in color and have a liner inside. For the low speed work at the class they would be just fine. Most bicycle BMX or motocross type gloves will rip instantly if dragged on pavement in even low speed falls.

·
Registered
162 Posts
And when you are actually riding your very own bike always dress for the crash. Get on a full motorcycle gear. It'll save your life someday. Don't get discouraged if you don't get it right away, practice makes perfect and it will be like riding a bicycle for you soon enough. Most importantly, Have fun but be safe.

·
Registered
296 Posts
At my msf course it drizzled a little on the first and the next day the their was a lot of dew on the asphalt. It was a little sketchy at first my the trainers said that it will help learn how to do quick stops better

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
506 Posts
If you're planning on riding, you might as well invest in proper gear now. The helmet and gloves that I bought for the class, I'm still using today.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you're planning on riding, you might as well invest in proper gear now. The helmet and gloves that I bought for the class, I'm still using today.
Can't get the gear yet. I'll worry about it in the time frame of when I'm purchasing the bike.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Day 1 Complete.

We did not do any riding today. All of the riding, and the riding test will be tomorrow.

The instructor was cool, and told us if we fail the written test today, he would rip it up, and let us take it again tomorrow.

I thought I got at least 2 wrong as the questions were weird, but I ended up passing with a 100% There was only 4 of us in the course which is awesome because that gives us all more practice tomorrow since we don't have to wait for so many people to take their turns. Only two of us got 100's, the other two got 98%'s

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Reading this makes me so excited for my course. April 4th is so close, yet so far away!
yeah man, it was super fun, especially with such a small group. I can't wait to wake up at 6am and get to school where they are doing the riding part. I didn't think I would get 100% but it seems so far so good, and this really boosts my confidence for tomorrow, and also tells me that riding indeed may be for me.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Good luck you'll do fine. The two biggest things you should keep in mind is throttle control and looking where you want to go! If you can do those, you'll be more than ok, better of than most riders.

Reactions: Muilisx

·
Registered
56 Posts
I thought the instructors provided generic gloves to use for the hands on portion. When I took the MSF course they let you borrow helmets and cheap gloves. Kind of sucks for the next person who buys your returned item after it served your purpose. Have fun with the class, but do keep the gloves if you use them.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
sooo... how was the box...?

·
Registered
185 Posts
I did the same. I wasn't too sure if riding is for me so i didnt want to invest too much but I was stoked about taking the class...riding two wheels is for me :)!

man i didint bring anything but a required long sleeve shirt and jeans.. they provided gloves (some fake winter gloves here in FL) and a helmet... it was all good =D i was just hype to ride a motorcycle

1 - 20 of 80 Posts