Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have been hit with the motorcycle fever for a few months now and I'm almost done with my license and I have been thinking on what bike should I buy as my first bike.
I live in Israel and here we have regulations on our licenses just like Europe so I'm doing an A1 license (max 500cc and 48 hp) cause I'm only 18.
And for a while I have been eye balling sports bike man, the just look so cool and awesome to ride so naturally i looked at the ninja 400 cause it is an amazing beginner sports bike. But in Israel a USED ninja 400 is around 24-26 thousand NIS which is roughly 7500-8000 dollars (totally fucked up considering that a brand new one is around 5000$ in the US) and honestly for an 18 years old that is in collage that is one hell of a price to pay now..... so i have been thinking to get the ninja 300 instead cause it still looks cool and pretty fast for what I have seen. the price difference is pretty significant around 3000$ cheaper than the ninja 400 and you can get a used 300 with around 18.5K miles on it for around 16000 NIS (5,078.98$) basically my question as dumb as it may sound is...... is it worth it to save up more money to buy the ninja 400 or the 300 will do just fine and is worth the price difference? like is the gap between the 400 and 300 is so large that is worth the extra money? and is a used 300 with 18k miles on it will last for a year or two if I plan to do daily commutes on it in town (not much around 3-4 miles) and take it to the mountains on the weekend for longer rides? thanks in advance.馃檹

Registered
Welcome!

No, I don't think the 400 is not worth that difference for a beginner.

Will a used 300 last you a couple of years? It depends on how it's been maintained by the previous owner(s). I've heard of commuters N300 going 70k miles without major break downs.
Try to find a used one that has had only one or two owners and has not been heavily modified. The more owners and mods on the bike, the more likely they neglected it or screwed up something when doing the mods. But that's not bullet proof. Unless you know how to assess yourself the condition of the bike, you're kind of gambling there. Look for articles on line on what to look in the bike when searching for a used one.

The N300 actually looks better than the N400. :)

Registered
The Ninja 400 isn't a good first bike IMO. Too much power for starting out.

A Ninja 300 is a better choice, but that's plenty fast for a beginner. My boys started on Ninja 250s, even though they had been riding since about age 4. They did eventually step up, but enjoyed the little Ninjas.

An even better starter bike is the Honda CBR250R or CBR300R. Not as fast, but a solid choice for most new riders. There was a guy in the U.S that went from Florida (waaay south) to the Arctic Circle (waaaay north) on one - so it's capable of that type of thing if you want.

See if you can find some type of basic rider class. It's best to properly learn the basics as quickly as possible.

Registered
I've been riding for more than 12 years and you'll have to pull my 300 from my cold, dead hands.
Having a more powerful bike might be fun too, but there's more than enough juice in this machine to get you in to some trouble if you tried to.
Eventually I might add a 3rd (or 4th) bike to the fleet, and it might be a super-sport-kick-your-ass bike, but I'm not letting go of the pure fun the 300 can be if you ride it right.

Registered
84' Goldwing Aspencade, 91' EX500, 98' Ninja 250 w/ 17' 300 engine, 07 EX500
The Ninja 300 is a solid choice, no doubt about it.

Or if you can find GPZ500/Ninja 500 those are solid, and cheaper. Only downside is it has carburetors.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts