Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm currently at my chiropractors downtown. Anyways I rode the bike today. While waiting at a red light I noticed the idle blipping itself up and down by a hundred rpm or so. I'm coming up on the six hundred mile service; does that seem like something I should worry about immediately or can it wait another fifty miles?

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,231 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well now im wondering if it wasn't just cause it was a tad bit breezy and chilly earlier; it didn't do it a single time on the whole way home. i've got 534 miles on the odometer; thinking of seeing if i can't just get the 600 miles done this afternoon instead of having to wait until the actual holiday week. don't want a silly thing such as that get in the way of my riding lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
well now im wondering if it wasn't just cause it was a tad bit breezy and chilly earlier; it didn't do it a single time on the whole way home. i've got 534 miles on the odometer; thinking of seeing if i can't just get the 600 miles done this afternoon instead of having to wait until the actual holiday week. don't want a silly thing such as that get in the way of my riding lol
interesting that its not a constant problem, it shouldn't be happening though

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that's the first and only time i've noticed it thus far. i gotta go out and gas it up anyways; thinking of killing some more miles and stopping off at the shop with a 'oh btw if you're not busy..."

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i went out and rode another 50 miles and it didn't happen again... regardless i have my 600 mile service scheduled for tomorrow so i'll mention it. this is my new baby lol.

i think i am in love with this bike, and/or riding, whichever you suggest...

·
Registered
523 Posts
100 rpm is less than 1% of redline and only about 5% of idle speed. I think you're decision to just mention it when you take it in for service is fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Idle Speed Issues

I have had that same issue and also am experiencing "Engine Stalling" at stop signs at various times. I have my Idle set at 1500 RPMS which is high according to specs. But if I don't have it set at least 1500 RPMS then this Bike would "Stall" about every time. When reaching a stop sign this would Idle down to about 1000 to about 1100 RPMS and then in about a 2 seconds. Then it would come back up to 1500. Please see my post about Engine Stalls. This could be a VERY SERIOUS Warranty Issue! Check this out! Just thought this may help!

·
Registered
958 Posts
What I notice is the rpms drop down when the engine is not hot if you squeeze the clutch and quickly drop from higher rpms such as stopping at the bottom of a hill. This has been reported before, and the bike can actually quit. The secret is to anticipate it and restart by popping the clutch while still moving, or lower the rpms more gradually. This may be part of the same issue you are experiencing with the fluctuating idle. My tendency to die goes away soon as the bike is warm after about 5 min. of riding. Someone else who experienced this on the forum took the bike back and the dealer increased the idle a little and told him it was related to the slipper clutch.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Idle Speed Issues

Well..... This is a Warranty Issue that needs to be addressed by Kawasaki and this should be a "smooth glitch free" product. The Fuel Injection system on this bike should idle at 1250 to 1350 RPMS according to specs and should not be erratic at all...... I have owned too many other Kawasaki Fuel Injected products, (2 ZX6rs and currently own a new ZX10r) and even that new Ninja 636 with its slipper clutch, runs smooth and by the numbers with NO ISSUES. This Bike has tested out with no problems. No Stall or erratic Idle Issues at all..... So, there should be NO issues with this Ninja 300 what so ever at all. There are too many other people that has this same bug with their 300. Such as Erratic Idling going up and down and not steady and stalling at the stop signs which proves that this is not the slipper clutch, but in the Fuel Injection or the ECU itself.... Even Kawasaki, has a Test Unit in their R&D department trying to "work out the bugs on this product" even as we speak!

If you or anyone are having any issues at all it should be addressed to the Dealers and or the authorities at Kawasaki. Thanks.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I think you are right. There will probably be a firmware fix coming soon. Adjusting the idle higher is not really the way to go.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts