Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
I adjusted mine a few days after I got it... I was idling at around 2.1k rpm's.... or 2k... Too high in my opinion, so I bumped it down to 1.5 rpm's. its shifts in first gear much smoother after doing that, not as a big of a THUNK!....

·
Registered
286 Posts
The dealer set my idle at about 2k when I bought the bike (which I thought was a little high) and after a day of "spirited" riding, it was idleing at almost 2500 rpm. Just reset to 1350 rpm (per the manual), we'll see if I have any issues with cold start in the morning. It was 42 degrees this morning on the way to work!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My bike was set at 2000 RPM's as well. I'm happy the video helped. I enjoy my boots. Your GF should get a pair. Mine are men's 39's, the smallest they make. Worth every penny!

Oh and I've only slightly noticed the tank sway with a full tank :). Not bad at all

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Hayabusa actually has a 5.5 gallon tank, not 4.5 gallons as was stated in your video. The sway you are talking about probably isn't coming from the tank or the fuel sloshing in the tank either. I highly doubt it is the pistons firing making the bike shake left and right either, because for it to shake left and right, the motor would have to be mounted 90 degrees in either direction to get the rotational torque you would be talking about. Basically the difference in how the motor would be mounted. For example in a mustang with a v6 the motor is mounted in the conventional manner (3 cylinders pointed to left fender and 3 cylinders pointed to right fender), so if you gave it gas and let off quickly you would feel the car rock left and right, however if you had a v6 Honda accord it's mounted transversely (3 cylinders facing the front bumper and 3 cylinders facing the rear toward the firewall...if you gas this type of motor then you will not feel the vehicle rock left and right, as it is impossible because the motor would be rocking front to back not left to right.

With that being said, the motor in the 300 would be considered as mounted in a "transverse" manner as the cylinders go left to right, and not from front to back when installed in the vehicle, which means that when you romp the throttle the motor would shift front to back, not side to side.

I really don't think the sway you are talking about is from the fuel sloshing or the motor torqueing the bike as the way the motor is installed makes it physically incapable of this.

Fuel weighs about 6 pounds a gallon so 4.5 gallons would be about 27 lbs. However for it to slosh in the tank it would have to be not full to be able to slosh, and the problem with that is the lower the fuel level, the lighter the fuel weighs. so even on a half empty tank you are talking about 13.5 pounds of fuel and the problem with this theory is that the whole 13.5 lbs of fuel will not have enough weight to cause an imbalance that is going to be noticeable drastic as it will not have the full 13.5 lbs of force behind it. Possible in repetitive sharp s curves you might feel it a little, but I highly doubt it considering some of the roads I have ridden on. Even on a gs500 which had a 5.5 gallon tank I never noticed the fuel slosh. I think they should have put at least a 5.5 tank on the Ninja 300, I'd like to be able to go almost 400 miles between fillups :)

I think what you all are actually feeling is the crappy steering head bearings that Kawasaki put into these 300's. Mine were replaced at around 6500 miles and the bike was never stunted and never tracked or dropped. I upgraded to the all balls tapered bearings and haven't had an issue since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts