Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I have myself a brand new Ninja 300 which has now hit the 300km mark. I have noticed that it is constantly revving high, not sure what the normal range should be. It is not an irregular idle speed, its just constant from cold start to warm engine. The bike idles around the 2000rpm mark. Is this normal? Just seems a little high to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check out the manual tonight guys, thank you.

i'll keep you all posted.

So i should do this adjustment during cold start or once engine is warm?

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
once warm mate! 1250-1300 its easy enough to reach down at any set of lights and adjust it!
1250-1350*

Here's the relevant section from the service manual:

Idle Speed Inspection
• Start the engine and warm it up thoroughly.
• With the engine idling, turn the handlebars to both sides
If handlebar movement changes the idle speed, the throttle cables may be improperly adjusted or incorrectly routed or damaged. Be sure to correct any of these conditions before riding (see Throttle Control System Inspection and Cable, Wire, and Hose Routing section in the Appendix chapter).
• Check the idle speed.
Idle Speed
Standard: 1 300 ±50 r/min (rpm)
If the idle speed is out of the specified range, adjust it.

Idle Speed Adjustment
• Start the engine and warm it up thoroughly.
• Turn the adjusting screw until the idle speed is correct.
• Open and close the throttle a few times to make sure that the idle speed is within the specified range. Readjust if necessary.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Went through the manual.

Cheers guys.

Feels much better now.

Shouldve read the manual as soon as I got the bike

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm running at ~1500.

I'll have the stealership fix all that for the 600mi service. I'll do my own service after that.

Sent from my R800x using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello everyone , i bought the ninja 300 6 months back and have clocked around 10000kms. Since then . But , after 6000kms. There's one issue that's bothering me and that related to the 'fast idle system' on my bike . On a cold start the RPM's used to increase at first till 2000rpm to warm up the engine . But , now this doesn't happen , i start the bike and it just struggles to keep running and also dies sometimes so i have to start her again . But , also the ENGINE rpms don't increase and the bike starts at 1100rpms and stays right there , no increase in rpm by the fast idle system on the ninja300 . Do share your thoughts people . I seriously need to sort this out soon .

·
Registered
534 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Thanks for the video. Was out for a ride yesterday and noticed idle at around 1900 RPMS's.
Thus, I will be adjusting today.

Thanks again ............. :smile2: :emot-thumbsup:
P.S. Perfect bike. Not so perfect owner / rider.

Just went out to the garage and started the Ninja for an idle check. Cold start up idle showed 1900 RPM'S. While I was wiping off a few bugs from yesterdays ride, I heard the idle drop and checked to find that after warm up, it was idling around 1300 RPM. Proceeded to move handle bars full left and right to the stops with no change in RPM. Thus, I know all is right with cables. :wink2:

Do not know how I had an idle speed of 1900 stuck in my head. Maybe I was just enjoying the ride and the bike so much yesterday, that I was just not paying that much attention to the tach. But at least the bike knew it was right. :smile2: Am happy that at least one of us was correct.

Personally, I thought that I was wrong once before. But I was mistaken. >:)

·
Registered
251 Posts
A warm idle of 1100 is a bit low. I tried to look up how this particular efi system increases rpm when the engine is cold but didn't come up with anything. It may be just enriching the mixture but I'm not sure. The service manual was no help for me. Does anyone know the exact method the 300 uses for raising the idle when cold?

·
Registered
534 Posts
A warm idle of 1100 is a bit low. I tried to look up how this particular efi system increases rpm when the engine is cold but didn't come up with anything. It may be just enriching the mixture but I'm not sure. The service manual was no help for me. Does anyone know the exact method the 300 uses for raising the idle when cold?
Just a guess, but wouldn't the 300 COLD IDLE be a computer setting :question:

As most likely, that would not have to be an adjustable setting.

Like I said ............. just guessing. :nerd:

Service shop might know. Key word is " MIGHT ". :dizzy:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Its controller by the computer but there has to be a physical way that gets translated into the engine actually running at a higher rpm.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts