Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I did something kind of stupid. I went on vacation around Thanksgiving, and when I got back it was soo cold outside I didn't ride for a while. Long story short, I haven't turned my bike on in about 2 months and it was not on a battery tender. It's in my garage and even though it doesn't freeze down there the temps get pretty low. I'm pretty sure at this point the battery is toast. When trying to start the bike, the lights come on (ultra dim though), but no starter click, nothing. Stupid me. I searched and can't find any real direct advice regarding battery replacements.

First off I'm thinking about trying to charge it up with a battery tender. I own a 12V car battery tender. But I'm afraid that the battery is so weak it will still end up leaving me stranded somewhere. I'm considering just buying a new battery because they're pretty cheap (30-40 bux) and I can keep it in my nice warm residence on a tender for the next couple of months until it warms up outside.

My questions -
Can I just buy pretty much ANY YTX9-BA battery? Does it matter if it's lead/gel? As long as it's a YTX9-BA battery, is it drop in and replace? No ECU/coding/adaptations resets? What would you do? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would just charge it up, since you won't ride shortly.
Then you may observe it and check if it can hold the charge. Also consider battery age...

Enviado de meu SM-G935F usando Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Yup, just charge it up with the charger you mentioned. Then let it sit for a day or 2 and check the voltage on it. If it holds a decent charge, keep it. If it's under 12.1V, replace it.

I've brought batteries back to life that lasted me several months. As long as it works, I use it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I know it might be a little off topic, but if you end up changing the battery, maybe consider getting a much smaller li-ion battery to make more space?

As you know the factory tool kit isn't very good.. I wanted to add more stuff but the Ninja 300's compartment isn't big.
Unlucky for me, I already purchased new battery that is exact same as OEM, but if my battery dies again, i'm definitely getting a smaller one.

Here are some ideas what to add.

·
Registered
914 Posts
I know it might be a little off topic, but if you end up changing the battery, maybe consider getting a much smaller li-ion battery to make more space?

As you know the factory tool kit isn't very good.. I wanted to add more stuff but the Ninja 300's compartment isn't big.
Unlucky for me, I already purchased new battery that is exact same as OEM, but if my battery dies again, i'm definitely getting a smaller one.
Don't do it unless your bike has 0 parasitic draw and lives tied up to a battery tender when not in use. I thought the exact same thing, but after 2 years and two LiOn bateries I got rid of them. And what a nightmare. The price is 4-7 times that of lead acid, and if you fully discharge them they'll never be the same. That besides having to used a different charger. Once they can be fully discharged without damage they'll be the gold standard but for now I freakin' hate the things. and god knows I wanted to love them.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Battery warranty typically starts when you buy the battery - not when you install it. Delay purchase as long as possible. That said, allow a day for the battery to sit on a smart charger before installing. I've found this to give the battery the best start on recovering from sitting on the dealer's shelf waiting for you to buy it.

Good luck!

- Arved

1 - 6 of 6 Posts