Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I started writing some things about getting started on motorcycles, including a roundabout how and why I ended up on a Ninja 300. The more I write about it the more I want to write. I haven't even got to folks like Spacep0d and help sites like this forum yet...Anyway, link is here.

Cheers

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nicely done!

Looking forward to more chapters.

-Vorax
Thanks! I plan to keep it up to keep me sane between the kids and the job. It's a fascinating hobby, and the 300 is a particularly interesting corner of it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Awesome Man you're pretty funny in your writing.I just started started riding Friday with a brand new ninja 300 2014 got 120 miles on it already and only rode it 3 days. And gear heads are never sensible when it comes to their money anyway.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Nice writing. Looking forward to more. It's also a matter of perception as well. Most riders who test ride the 300 class here in the States list "modest" power as a negative factor. However, if you watch review videos from Asia of the 300 class bikes, they never listed power (or the lack thereof) to be an issue.

As we all know, road infrastructure should also influence our choice as well. If we live in Chyenne, WY where the speed limit is 80MPH and our commute to work will be on these roads, the 300 may not be the best choice. On the other hand, if we live in Brooklyn, NY where we'll approach traffic lights every 250ft, the 300 may have perfect balance of power and slow speed agility we're looking for.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Nice writing. Looking forward to more. It's also a matter of perception as well. Most riders who test ride the 300 class here in the States list "modest" power as a negative factor. However, if you watch review videos from Asia of the 300 class bikes, they never listed power (or the lack thereof) to be an issue.

As we all know, road infrastructure should also influence our choice as well. If we live in Chyenne, WY where the speed limit is 80MPH and our commute to work will be on these roads, the 300 may not be the best choice. On the other hand, if we live in Brooklyn, NY where we'll approach traffic lights every 250ft, the 300 may have perfect balance of power and slow speed agility we're looking for.
AGREED.

The reviews of the 300 in Asian countries are reviewing the bike under the predisposition that they are reviewing a Lightweight Bike. This, in my opinion, holds more ground than a reviewer that just got off of their Liter bike to test out a 300 and simply states, "There isn't enough power here." Here in Murica...faster is better...fast cars, fast bikes, fast service, fast girls, fast food (with the exception of the Grom of course). The reviews I watched of the 300 were actually for entertainment value. I just wanted to see the bike in action, how it shifted, and what it looked like. Pertinent information that I sought regarding the 300 actually derived from Youtube reviews from India.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
AGREED.

The reviews of the 300 in Asian countries are reviewing the bike under the predisposition that they are reviewing a Lightweight Bike. This, in my opinion, holds more ground than a reviewer that just got off of their Liter bike to test out a 300 and simply states, "There isn't enough power here." Here in Murica...faster is better...fast cars, fast bikes, fast service, fast girls, fast food (with the exception of the Grom of course). The reviews I watched of the 300 were actually for entertainment value. I just wanted to see the bike in action, how it shifted, and what it looked like. Pertinent information that I sought regarding the 300 actually derived from Youtube reviews from India.
Yes. Today on Reddit I saw somebody dismissing quarter-litre bikes as 'slower than a minivan' due to 1/4-mile times and having 250BHP to play with. It was one of the sillier assertions I'd read.

As Ricky Gervais once quipped, "Statistics are like a lamp-post to a drunken man - more for leaning on than illumination."

1/4 mile times are musclecar lexicon. Yes, a mummy missile could eventually outdrag a 250cc bike on a runway, but racing city traffic lights, or a winding road? Forget it.

·
Registered
373 Posts
As Ricky Gervais once quipped, "Statistics are like a lamp-post to a drunken man - more for leaning on than illumination."
This...yes sir.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Hi all,

I started writing some things about getting started on motorcycles, including a roundabout how and why I ended up on a Ninja 300. The more I write about it the more I want to write. I haven't even got to folks like Spacep0d and help sites like this forum yet...Anyway, link is here.

Cheers
Ah, I know the characters of whom you write! I'll definitely read this. I like reading and I like a good blog. My vlog originally started as an acerbic blog, but the following was slim. The vlog fits me better anyway, but I appreciate good writing as well.

I'll leave some feedback here as I work my way through. Props for the Gervais quote too; he's one of my favorite comedians and freethinking iconoclasts.

Reactions: Sulman

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ah, I know the characters of whom you write! I'll definitely read this. I like reading and I like a good blog. My vlog originally started as an acerbic blog, but the following was slim. The vlog fits me better anyway, but I appreciate good writing as well.

I'll leave some feedback here as I work my way through. Props for the Gervais quote too; he's one of my favorite comedians and freethinking iconoclasts.
I think your test rides are great. I remembered your 300 videoes being unusual as you were an experienced rider that very deliberately chose it.

Gervais is great. I followed him from his slot on a late-night show back home (actually the same place Ali-G got started) and it's kind of funny to think he's a household name now.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I think your test rides are great. I remembered your 300 videoes being unusual as you were an experienced rider that very deliberately chose it.

Gervais is great. I followed him from his slot on a late-night show back home (actually the same place Ali-G got started) and it's kind of funny to think he's a household name now.
Thanks! I do tend to talk about the visceral side, since I see myself as an avatar for others when reviewing a bike, were technical info takes up time but can easily be added later (or as an overlay or with text). So, I'll pepper-in some technical bits but also compare it to other bikes, since I think a lot of people like to compare various bikes they might be considering. I'm still waiting on a test-ride the 2015 R1 and compare it to the 2016 ZX-10R I just rode and reviewed. :D Maybe a Vultus test-ride too...crossing fingers.

Ah, Ali-G! I'm a big Sasha Baron Cohen fan. I love almost everything he does and have really enjoyed all of his movies...and it's hard to pick a favorite. Borat of course is a classic...Bruno was a scream and the The Dictator slayed me 'the talking painting' hahaha. Ali G is great too.

So, I read the blog and loved it. You've definitely got a flair for writing and I love the English slang here and there. Great stuff and I'll definitely keep reading. :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Added another - https://sullybiker.wordpress.com/2016/03/24/where-do-you-want-to-go/

Not as frequent as I'd like, but about as much as I can manage between family and work!
Fun read! Keep them coming. I have to say though, "She possibly wants me dead." Hahaha!! I can relate. My wife gave me her vote of confidence and actually pushed me toward my passion to ride. Maybe she feels that I would be careful or maybe even lose my beans on a motorbike. How can I interpret that other than the exact way you so eloquently translated into words.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Fun read! Keep them coming. I have to say though, "She possibly wants me dead." Hahaha!! I can relate. My wife gave me her vote of confidence and actually pushed me toward my passion to ride. Maybe she feels that I would be careful or maybe even lose my beans on a motorbike. How can I interpret that other than the exact way you so eloquently translated into words.
It did surprise me, considering how many friends talked of her 'letting' me do it. A common sentiment, I guess.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nicely written, and I like your sense of humor. This made me chuckle: "Fumbling the horn didn’t help. I cancelled the shit out of that turn signal, though…"
Definitely made me want to go on a good long ride.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi all,

Cheers
Awesome blog by the way! Keep it up!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts