Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes you read that right. ;)
How can I restrict the Ninja 300? Slower acceleration/less power?

Background info (for those interested) : All summer I have been working and have earned enough cash to purchase a Ninja 300 :D I am 16 so all the insurance will be paid for by my dad and as such he gets to say if I can or can not get a bike. He says that the Ninja 300 is a "very powerful sport-bike" and that because of that reason I will crash, burn die etc etc. HOWEVER, he says the CBR125R is perfect for a first time rider and I can upgrade to the Ninja 300 later. He has no problem with the Ninja 300 except for its power.
I'd like to be able to restrict the N300 to a 125cc level and then revert it back to stock in a year or so.

My ideas:

• Use restrictions on the actual throttle cable
  • 15 or bigger engine sprocket
  • Area-P tuner loaded with a "weak" map (This is most preferred as I can use it again when I get a full exhaust)
Any ideas are welcomed, Thanks guys/gals! :cool::cool:

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dude I thought I was the only youngin on here!! :D as for a restriction I would put something of the throttle bodies!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
283 Posts
If you're a responsible rider, you'll only use what you need lol why not talk him into letting you get a 250 instead? That isn't too much more and it'll be cheaper than adding after market items to a 300, not to mention the bike itself will most likely be around $1500-$2000 less than a new 300.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its not a matter of being responsible.. its a matter of convincing/showing my dad that the N300 is not a rocket that will kill me...In our home country he used to ride a 50cc bike and he therfore considers anything over 80cc
And for the 250r suggestion, he says the same thing...

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there is a restriction plate for the 300 on the throttle body in some markets, we had a thread about it a few months ago.

the best way to limit power to the bike is learn how to control your right wrist
I could not find a link where I can purchase one. Or can this be done as a DYI?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Its not a matter of being responsible.. its a matter of convincing/showing my dad that the N300 is not a rocket that will kill me...In our home country he used to ride a 50cc bike and he therfore considers anything over 80cc
And for the 250r suggestion, he says the same thing...
Ah, I see. Well no one can blame your Dad for trying to keep you safe! Especially with his riding experience only being on a 50cc motor. That's understandable.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Sounds like your Dad doesn't trust you with 300cc's, but why does he trust you with 125cc's? What's the difference? Either can kill you. Honestly, the power-control is, as Cruizin wrote, in your right wrist.

But, he's your pops and he can control you (for now). You might have to humor him. The 'weak' map sounds like a good idea...but does he ride motorcycles? How will he know the bike is sufficiently-restricted?

There are also times when you might need power to preserve your life...such as squirting out of the way if someone is about to rear-end up, cuts you off in some way, quick-swerve and scoot, road-rage, etc.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Sounds like your Dad doesn't trust you with 300cc's, but why does he trust you with 125cc's? What's the difference? Either can kill you. Honestly, the power-control is, as Cruizin wrote, in your right wrist.

/QUOTE]

Look at all the "top speed" threads started by first time moto riders with zero experience and think about the difference.

Learn how to ride, respect your father's demands and when you are independent, do what you want. There are plenty of parents who forbid any moto related activity, count your blessings. There are worse fates than to have to start riding on a 125cc bike.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
A responsible person (16 or otherwise) can learn on any bike he/she chooses. The problem is the logic of the father. That doesn't mean the father is right, but for now he's in-control.

I reject the idea that riders always have to start small, though there are good reasons to do that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHDJGZ0yJSY

Here's a video I made about this topic^
http://youtu.be/oHDJGZ0yJSY

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the help so far. I will contact Area-P about this and see if they can make a map restricting the performance of the bike. It just angers me that I have worked my ass of full-time all summer instead of hanging out with friends to get the N300 and now that I have the $ he says no, too powerful. It's just frustrating :/
Cruizin- Thanks for your links, I've looked through them before but they are all about restricting the throttle cable and not so much ECU based (As a tuner would be)

·
Registered
86 Posts
My dad wanted me to start on a scooter.. He said that the scooter is safer because it's slower and that I wouldn't go crazy on it. >_>

The problem with this logic is that anything on the road can kill you.. be it a patch of gravel or a huge semi truck. Being on two wheels regardless of CC's is already dangerous. Being able to have self control is something you need have.. Can you ride a 300 and not try to redline each gear on city roads? If you can't control yourself from being too cocky on the 300 or 125, you might want to reconsider riding on two wheels.

If you know you can control yourself on a bike with 300cc's, then talk to your dad about your mind set. How you're going to be when you hop on that bike. When I talked to my parents I told them that I would wear gear every time I ride, and that I would restrict myself from riding at night/on the highways until I became more confident. If you can convince your parents that riding on two wheels regardless of cc's be it the 125 or 300, it all boils down to your self control and the twist of your wrist.

I'm 19 and still live under my parents control. Plus, I have a very traditional Asian family so getting my grandma to agree on letting me get a bike was even more difficult. :p Anyways, goodluck OP on getting a bike!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks alot brother :) Every time I even start about how I will be responsible, ride with gear, take MSF etc. he starts shaking his head and saying how he was once 16 and that he knows what its like :( This all coming from the same guy that rode a 50cc motorcycle (A whole 4HP!) on mountain roads at 19 xD

·
Registered
342 Posts
Does your dad know about the data logger? There is a black box on the n300 that can be accessed by police or whoever to know how the bike has been riden. If your dad finds a way to access this logger he will know you are riding responsibly.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
A responsible person (16 or otherwise) can learn on any bike he/she chooses. The problem is the logic of the father. That doesn't mean the father is right, but for now he's in-control.

I reject the idea that riders always have to start small, though there are good reasons to do that.
The problem might be that the father knows the kid better than some guy reading his posts on a web forum.

What do you need a bike to do? I know what you want. What do you NEED as a 16 year old living at home with your dad as a parent responsible for you staying alive till you are emancipated.

Don't want the 125? Save your $ and move out, then do whatever you want! ;)

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Does your dad know about the data logger? There is a black box on the n300 that can be accessed by police or whoever to know how the bike has been riden. If your dad finds a way to access this logger he will know you are riding responsibly.
This sounds VERY promising. Do you know how to access it? Im gonna go google around and see. I was thinking of always having my GoPro recording and telling him he can ask for footage any time. I'm 16, I have no intention of killing/hurting myself and have full intentions on staying safe and enjoying it responsibly. Getting that across to him, is ... hard.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Considering that you're still young, 16 is a very young age.. Haha.
But honestly, your dad just wants you to be safe and stay alive so you can celebrate your 18th birthday and see you go off to college. I can't blame him for wanting you to start on a 125 and later on letting you move up to a 300. But, it all takes time for him to think about it and consider allowing you to get a 300. I was 17 when I wanted a bike, got turned down when I turned 18 and finally got a bike 6 months after my 19th birthday, if I didnt wait I think I would be riding a 250 :p! Patience is virtue!

Plus, riding may or may not be for you! After the course, see if you think riding is for you!

1 - 20 of 114 Posts