Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

I recently put on the Spiegler steel lines kit on my ABS 2014, along with new pads, and I rebuild all my calipers/seals, deep cleaned all the parts, and regreased the metal bits.
It's a whole new bike. For ABS, the bleeding process kinda sucked, I had to take the bike out to a gravel lot and just lock the wheels up over and over to free the last bubbles, but it worked out.

My stock lines were pretty bad, but, this upgrade made the brakes probably 80% as 'powerful' as my 636 brakes were, in terms of raw stopping power. Obviously it doesnt have the heat capacity of real 600 brakes, but the fading is significantly less of a problem. I used to ride this bike with the idea that I just need to hold speed in the turns, and shave off what little speed was too much with the stock brakes. Now I can actually use real braking zones, choose the right speed to go into a corner, and actually stop super hard in emergencies.

I ride pretty enthusiastically, and take it to the track, but even when I commute or just putt through the town, I feel so much more confident in my ability to stop. I even scared one of my buddies in the twisties, he foolishly was following me, and of course I came in hot and then really loaded up my brakes real late into a corner, and he just couldn't slow down that hard, that late. Hes kinda foolish lol, but still.

Do this mod folks. It is the single best thing Ive done.
Happy riding, stay safe out there.

-Mike

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
Putting Spiegler SS brake lines on mine was one of the first mods I did back in 2013. I love them for how solid they make the brakes feel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Probably one of the most under rated mods in my opinion. Everyone talks about swapping the master cylinder or getting different pads. Getting braided lines make so much difference it makes me wonder why they put the rubber ones on in the first place.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right?? It almost seems like a design flaw that it helps so much. People overlook it thinking their stock lines are "still okay", but mine came up on 6 years since new, figured id upgrade instead of replace. Best money spent on it since I got it long ago.

-Mike

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have the stock calipers? Not tempted to change those as well?
One step at a time, I need cash lol. Before the lines, I was thinking I needed aftermarket rotors, calipers, and master cyl and everything. But now that I've just done the lines, it made me rethink it. Everything else is stock still. Rebuilding the calipers actually made a huge difference as well. I didn't replace the seals, they were in perfect shape, as were the pistons. I scrubbed every square millimeter down on all the caliper parts and even threw all the pieces in my parts cleaner, and it made the brakes feel less catchy. I think my pistons were stuck a little unevenly, they were DIRTY.

Next time I get er out on the track down here in the desert heat, I'll re evaluate, and if I improve my braking game enough, then I might consider the master cyl and calipers. We shall see. Who knows too, I might totally grind my rotor down now that I can actually get some heat in it all now.

Funny about the rubber lines. I feel like for the 300, rubber lines, as they come stock, are poor design. But my 636 stock brake setup was really nice. Obviously there's several huge design differences there, but even my buddy's CBR500R also with a single front rotor stock has great stopping power on rubber lines. Maybe they could design the geometry of the braking plumbing to be more effective with rubber alone, but for the 300, I can't believe I did all that riding and track days on the stock brakes. They're basically a suggestion, lol, no actual power compared to this.

Just hope I can convince someone about to take their bike in to get more rubber lines to go the steel route.

-Mike

·
Registered
552 Posts
Just hope I can convince someone about to take their bike in to get more rubber lines to go the steel route.
I'll bite!
I haven't done anything to my Ninja 300 Winter Test Edition for a few months....it's NEEDS some new mod! :cool:

Any videos I can check out on how the bleeding process is done for an ABS model?
If it's only a matter of braking numerous times on gravel, like you mention (after bleeding at the calipers), it sounds simple enough.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree 100%, I have steel braided lines on all my bikes and upgraded brake pads with DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid. Huge difference over stock. I ride mostly on the track and twisties in the off season.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts