Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dropped the 300 short while ago trying to learn by myself in a quiet suburb, wasnt funny even though i went for lol here. but im very glad for couple of reasons. first and foremost, im walking, second the bike is fine i think (damaged just one side, though good looking tank escaped which is great.) im trying to figure out how im feeling and what went wrong, all i did was u turn in first or maybe 2nd gear but upon completion i just took off and lost complete control! that was the scariest part of this minor accident in which i learned to never never underestimate anything to do with riding a bike, you feel as though you're in control because you're going slow but dont feel too good about yourself! it only makes me wonder about high speed accidents and i dont want to imagine really. i know my hand gave up on the throttle in the last second, thats what scares me the most, how we behave in situations like that. i think there's nothing you can do just like how i couldnt do anything even in a low speed incident today. im not disappointed about the bike. if anyone's interested i can post a photo.

have you had similar experiences? i hope not but it really does something to you if you have because you realise how quick you can get hurt. yeah im little hurt also, just my leg. and please remember you gear! thankfully i was in minimum gear. this is gonna always make me wear the right stuff whenever im taking the bike now.

p.s. learn to control the throttle. my advise! as i remembered what i did wrong, i chnaged my grip while turning so when as the turn completed i ended up giving way too much gas, before i was able to realise this everything unfolded before my eyes as i watched the worst thing happen to me and the bike.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Hasn't happened to me =( but I been hearing alot of dropped bikes on the forum lately.. makes me kinda wanna get frame sliders... >_< just so I don't push my luck too far lol

Sorry to hear your dropped your bike, glad your ok! thats all that counts!

I agree with you, the repositioning of your grip prob gave u too much throttle, maybe your back tire slipped also?
did the back end swing out? or did if right itself and go over the other side?

whenever I gas it hard out of a corner the bike always wants to right itself up, usually making my corner too large and over steering, but, i played with this to find a point that I can gas it out, and not lean the bike back up too much.

How exactly did your bike drop? and on what side?

·
Banned
562 Posts
Well i had a similiar incident
I was actually going 1 mph
i was pulling up in front of cycle gear to get some lock tight
to fix a bolt on my 250r anyway there was a ramp in front
and usually i just park i decided to go up the ramp
i lugged it i guess anyway the bike started to tip and i put my foot down
to catch but once again i was on a ramp so when i put my foot down there
was nothing there and me and the bike tipped
no frame sliders bike is 3 days old and i cracked the fairings on the right
side knocked a whole in the bottom cover
all on the right side
the worst part is i have the money to replace the fairing but the bike is so
new the fairings are on back order with no eta on when it will be available
im linking a pic
trust me i know how you feel

Reactions: sean1990

·
Registered
77 Posts
Have you taken an MSF Course? This is the kind of stuff they go over. Slow speed manuevering and basic fundamentals. I took one a couple years ago when I first got my license and I'm actually considering taking a refresher course just to make sure I didn't pick up any bad habits.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sucks this is stuff that frame sliders would have really worked on. You guys would prob have no damage. I seen a ninja with the Kawasaki ones on the other day and they don't look as bad as the pics. I might get them.

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you are a beginnig rider, that is par for the course. Glad you weren't hurt. In New Braunfels, Tx today, the local headline was a 61-year-old woman was killed in the high school parking lot trying to learn to ride a Harley. The article said she hit a curb and it rolled over her. I bet that was a whiskey throttle situation, but there were no details. Seems like a lot of problems happen at slow speeds before the momentum keeps those wheels in line and balance. Taking off, stopping, backing up all take practice to get your balance and using the clutch and brakes properly. Glad you're OK.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Note: there is one big difference here. She was trying to learn on a Trike. Unknown to the general public, Trikes are actually inherently MORE unstable than a 2 wheeled motorcycle. You only need to have watched the Top Gear episode featuring the Reliant Robin to have an idea why. But simply put, they are terrible at cornering since you can't lean into the corner.

Add a massive Harley engine and chassis to the equation and you get a unstable beast that would be more than happy to roll over on you. And unfortunately for her, kill the rider

http://www.woai.com/news/local/story/Woman-killed-while-learning-to-drive-motorcycle/nAeGlACxCE-1mIsa3xjoOw.cspx

For your viewing pleasure :D -

·
Banned
562 Posts
Yes i did complete the MSF course i did it before i bought the
bike. I just made a bad judgement call but the bike still looks **** good
if i could figure out how to add another pic id show you some of the mods
but i cant figure out how to post the pic now

·
Registered
594 Posts
Well I'm certainly glad you learned from your mistake on a relatively small bike.
Many try to take on a much more powerful bike, and get in over their head, fail, then lose all confidence in their skills.

Reactions: sean1990

·
Registered
523 Posts
One tip to avoid this situation later (though it seems like you've already realized your mistake, which is great) is to always keep your wrist level. Too low is uncomfortable and too high is unsafe, as you found out. I did the same thing during the MSF course and just had to keep reminding myself about proper hand positioning on the grips.

If you end up in this situation again, one way to bring the bike safely under control is to simply pull in the clutch. Your bike will rev like mad until you get your hand off the throttle, but you won't go shooting off again and you can bring the bike safely to a stop.

Glad to hear you and the bike came out relatively unscathed!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Reliant Video

Very sad about the lady in Texas. Can't imagine how badly her 'instructor' must feel.

On the other hand... the 'Reliant' video is about the funniest video ever.

You gotta love the Brits.

I once had a Triumph Cub which rarely ran. It was frustrating for awhile, but I came to view the bike's unreliability as an undocumented safety feature.

·
Banned
562 Posts
Ok here is the two worst pics
like i said not too bad
i have the bottom piece on order
be here in like 2 days
no eta on the middle fairing
was gonna try and epoxy it

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hasn't happened to me =( but I been hearing alot of dropped bikes on the forum lately.. makes me kinda wanna get frame sliders... >_< just so I don't push my luck too far lol

Sorry to hear your dropped your bike, glad your ok! thats all that counts!

I agree with you, the repositioning of your grip prob gave u too much throttle, maybe your back tire slipped also?
did the back end swing out? or did if right itself and go over the other side?

whenever I gas it hard out of a corner the bike always wants to right itself up, usually making my corner too large and over steering, but, i played with this to find a point that I can gas it out, and not lean the bike back up too much.

How exactly did your bike drop? and on what side?
yes, the back tire slipped and the bike wiggled before we (me&bike) fell. i had no control, i couldnt have done anything in that time, of course you need experience to try anything. and in my case, i was doing a full U turn at the end of a street. its a bit vague but i know i did something to the gears and throttle. bad move :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sucks to hear bro. I your ok and the bike only suffered minor damage. Psot a pic if you can.
yes im fine but did hurt my right leg and bruised pelvis. thanks. ill post a picture soon, my bike is mere week old and sad to see it happen this quick you know..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok here is the two worst pics
like i said not too bad
i have the bottom piece on order
be here in like 2 days
no eta on the middle fairing
was gonna try and epoxy it
lol. that looks normal to me and makes me feel little more bad. see what ive done to mine it should help you feel better.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
eh just chalk it up to experience and character building... besides, now you've personalized it!

·
Banned
562 Posts
at least you are ok
coulda been worse bro

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know how you must have felt!!! I dropped mine yesterday, and I felt like Sh8*T. In a quick replay, I was trying to save it from dropping, and I lost my balance with it. The handle bar knocked me to the ground. I walked away with my nose bleeding. Besides the big scratch mark on the left, in my case, the shift petal also got bended inwardly when the whole weight of the bike smashed on it to the ground. My friend who witness all had asked me if I needed to get the bike down from the hill side slop to the flat road. I said No. The important thing is that I walked away nearly unharmed. It really sucked that I had to learn it this way. But I learned something. Keep me posted as far as maybe installing some sort of safety Bar or maybe later decide to repaint on the scratched chassis, I'll be really interested to know. let me know, and Take care!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts