Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
so i was just curious as to how exactly the mirrors and windscreen are supposed to come off. Is there some kind of special tool needed for those four bolts? Because when I went to remove mine the first two came off with a 4mm allen wrench with little problem, but when I tried the other two all it did was strip them clean so i figured using a "grabit" or an "easyout" would remove them but still nothing. Ive never had any trouble like this at all and obviously I dont wanna strip the treads so anyone have any advice on getting these out? thanks.

·
Registered
865 Posts
yeah.. if you stripped em your gonna have to use an easy out or something to get them out... Good luck! I hate those easy outs, gatta buy a good one or else they just dig yourself a deeper hole! Of course your gonna have to go to the hardware store and find the same size hex head bolt to stick back in there.

Not sure why they stripped on you, only thing I can think of it just wasnt the right size, mine came out really really easy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i didnt switch allen wrenches so its not that it was the wrong size just some bad luck i guess :/. yea i already tried using an easy out and it didnt do jack so im gonna have my cousin who runs a dealership go hard mode on these things and hopefully that does it lol. nothing ever easy when you're working on your bike.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
how to remove the windscreen... big problem

I had two bolts on mine that where way too tight. But the Allen wrench did the job. I didn't even know u could strip a bolt with an Allen wrench.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Its possible to strip a bolt with an Allen wrench if you use a standard on a metric bolt. Your situation is weird though, the only thing I can think of is if you only had the Allen wrench seated halfway down, because of whatever coating the bolt has. It sounds like you know what you are doing though so maybe its just bad luck...

·
Registered
993 Posts
I pulled my windscreen off today, and almost stripped the left side bolts, the right side came off real easy, but the left side was like arnold swatzy put them in.
Not sure how you can get them out without damaging the windscreen now, but you could use a dremel and try to square off a couple of sides then use a vise grip pliers or crecent wrench.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thats really odd because the left side is also giving me problems. ive tried everything from, grabbits to easyouts to a dremmel cutting for a flathead and they still will not come out. the only left is to find someone with one heck of drill and experience doing it... and praying lol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
ive actually tried just about everything everyone mentioned above except for actually drilling them out. the last thing im gonna try before that is using a turbo socket and if that doesnt work ill just have to drill them out and hope it does strip the threads :/. thanks guys!

·
Registered
993 Posts
If you use a drill bit, use one slightly larger than the bolt threaded area not the head. Drill in the middle of the head and when the drill goes deep enough (about 1/8") the head will come off it, do that to both bolts and hold onto the mirror when drilling the second one. After the second one goes through the head and pops off, remove everything and use a vise grip to get the remaining threaded part out, it should be sticking up about 1/4" or more.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Me too!

I had the same problem, went to change my windscreen and all the bolts seemed tight, but one of the left ones stripped. I ended up taking it to the dealer and he removed it for $45. The funnie thing is they had no replacement bolts in stock....I'm running with 3 for now.....

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I had the same problem, went to change my windscreen and all the bolts seemed tight, but one of the left ones stripped. I ended up taking it to the dealer and he removed it for $45. The funnie thing is they had no replacement bolts in stock....I'm running with 3 for now.....
$45?????

Mate there are tools that you could have bought for less than half that price to be able to do it yourself..........and you get to keep the tools for next time.

Google "easy out". ;)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.